TT 2022 ??

Barlow

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Without wishing to start an argument the safety officials at F1 are a million times more qualified and competent than our home grown bunch  of enthusiastic amateurs. 

If you are referring to the Marshalls at Silverstone aren't they all volunteers? Wasn't that why a Marshall was invited to present a trophy on Sunday?

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If you are referring to the Marshalls at Silverstone aren't they all volunteers? Wasn't that why a Marshall was invited to present a trophy on Sunday?

No, not referring to the marshals. 

But yes, Silverstone has over 700 volunteer 'race makers'. The standards are somewhat more stringent than IOM TT and include DBS checks. 

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I hope it doesn’t transpire that the people who got on the track were either Marshall’s or aided by then then.

Either way it doesn’t say much for the security at such a high profile event

People hop on and off the TT course all the time... social media gets whipped up into a frenzy over it. 

Again though they're totally different beasts. The TT has a small global audience while the F1 is a massive global brand. 

The TT probably could have been part of a global brand if it had upped it's game when it was dropped from FIM in the 70's 

9 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

It doesn’t.  Hence people sitting on the track yesterday which could have been an absolute disaster if the race hadn’t already been fed flagged.

Another incident that the TT haters would have jumped all over if it had happened here.  The fact that it was allowed to happen at an F1 event is pretty indefensible and could have led to the serious injury of competitors.  Hopefully there will be a full review.  It’s not the first time it’s happened at Silverstone so you would have thought lessons would already have been learned at such a major event.

I can bet there will be a full review and there will be improvements. 

One that differs between F1 and TT is that they do actually do that, even if it means reducing speed and 'excitement'

10 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Who is justifying anything?  I am questioning the difference in attitudes to risk.

Yesterday there was a very clear and obvious  risk identified that could lead to an awful incident.  They just carried on as of often criticised at the TT.

The accident was caused by a unique set of circumstances. This could be clearly seen. The probability of a repeat was almost non existent. That's why they restarted. 

29 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The probability of a repeat was almost non existent. That's why they restarted. 

I bet they thought that of Bray Hill this year too...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I bet they thought that of Bray Hill this year too...?

Yes. But there is a big difference here. 

It did happen at Bray Hill. Twice. That's too much of a coincidence to do nothing.

Yes the first one could have been a freak accident Like the one at Silverstone. The fact that there was a second one minutes later (in racing time) tell you it most likely wasn't. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. But there is a big difference here. 

It did happen at Bray Hill. Twice. That's too much of a coincidence to do nothing.

Yes the first one could have been a freak accident Like the one at Silverstone. The fact that there was a second one minutes later (in racing time) tell you it most likely wasn't. 

There were two big offs in consecutive sessions at Laurel Bank this year too, with the second one still in hospital and likely to be for some time.

If someone falls off at sulby bridge they'll wave some yellows while he gets out of the way - a little off. 

If someone smashes it hard enough for a red flag and the race to be stopped that's a big off.

I fail to see what your problem is.

Again.

• Confused 1

As I said earlier, the red flag is used to neutralise the race in the event of a) the road is not passable, b) there is danger to other riders or marshals, such as air fencing damaged or dislodged, c) to ensure that sufficient resources are available to deal with the incident and prevent a further call on them.

It is not to stop riders at the scene of an incident which can be controlled with yellow flags, doing that can lead to further incidents further back up the road. A short delay in putting a red flag out has very little effect on anything.