TT 2022 ??

Barlow

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So little or no training needed 🤫

The appeal was specifically for experienced marshals exactly because new marshals do require some training. There are training courses during the week, but it wouldn't be possible to train an inexperienced marshal before the first practice tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

As long as an inexperienced marshal is with one or more experienced marshals there's no problem.

ALL marshals start off initially inexperienced 😀

That's true, but the Road Races Act requires that all marshals that are appointed have received appropriate training. In this context that means that they have gone through the Incident Management Course for marshals on the TT Course. It wouldn't be possible to put a marshal with no experience through the course before tomorrow. Hence the call for experienced marshals

33 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Should have booked a holiday. It's the future.

Funnily enough I was going to then then I saw the prices to getaway off the island, not only are we inconvenienced on the island we are inconvenienced in the wallet also, just so some fat white old men can play, 'first one to kill themselves'

Just fuck this complete shit off

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Funnily enough I was going to then then I saw the prices to getaway off the island, not only are we inconvenienced on the island we are inconvenienced in the wallet also, just so some fat white old men can play, 'first one to kill themselves'

£43 one way to Bristol with Easyjet didn't seem too bad! 

20 minutes ago, Gizo said:

"Just fuck this complete shit off" 

Shut the door behind you!

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

The appeal was specifically for experienced marshals exactly because new marshals do require some training. There are training courses during the week, but it wouldn't be possible to train an inexperienced marshal before the first practice tomorrow.

Not strictly true. You can make up the numbers without an IMC but you can’t be fully qualified. I’m not sure if there’s a minimum number of qualified marshals stipulated - I think that’s a judgement call from the DSMs and CSMs:

Novice marshals

All new TT marshals, even if you have previous marshalling experience at other venues or in other motorsports, must watch our introductory film before being placed out on the course with one of our experienced teams of TT Marshals.

Watching and learning the ropes from our longstanding, knowledgeable volunteers is an important part of your training and gives new recruits the opportunity to experience marshalling, and ask plenty of questions, while enjoying the camaraderie of being part of the team.

To aid your training, we highly recommend you take time to watch all our training films and read the “Marshalling Matters” booklet before you report for duty. After you have completed at least three sessions out on the course we encourage you to undertake our Incident Management Course.  All novice marshals must complete an IMC before they gain full marshal accreditation.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Not strictly true. You can make up the numbers without an IMC but you can’t be fully qualified. I’m not sure if there’s a minimum number of qualified marshals stipulated - I think that’s a judgement call from the DSMs and CSMs:

Novice marshals

All new TT marshals, even if you have previous marshalling experience at other venues or in other motorsports, must watch our introductory film before being placed out on the course with one of our experienced teams of TT Marshals.

Watching and learning the ropes from our longstanding, knowledgeable volunteers is an important part of your training and gives new recruits the opportunity to experience marshalling, and ask plenty of questions, while enjoying the camaraderie of being part of the team.

To aid your training, we highly recommend you take time to watch all our training films and read the “Marshalling Matters” booklet before you report for duty. After you have completed at least three sessions out on the course we encourage you to undertake our Incident Management Course.  All novice marshals must complete an IMC before they gain full marshal accreditation.

The Event Safety Plan is quite clear that all marshals have to have completed an Incident Management Course within the previous three years. Obviously marshals have to start somewhere, and novice marshals can go out on the course and be positioned with experienced marshals, but if there are insufficient qualified marshals to cover all the marshalling points, and fulfil all the marshalling roles, having more novice marshals won't change that. Novice marshals cannot be used to 'make up the numbers'. Hence the appeal for experienced marshals.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1