TT 2022 ??

Barlow

police were out with the radar yesterday hoping to catch  the unwary , while today so much time was wasted  with  running  marshals around , and then qualifying stopped due to a red flag at Union mills , 

all in all ,  it buggered many peoples Sunday afternoon up ,  and as the weekend approaches racing Friday, Saturday and until finish  Monday ,  those who have booked for the MGP fortnight  will have bugger all else to do  , until they go home at the weekend , not the way to look after  customers ,!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Omobono said:

police were out with the radar yesterday hoping to catch  the unwary , while today so much time was wasted  with  running  marshals around , and then qualifying stopped due to a red flag at Union mills , 

all in all ,  it buggered many peoples Sunday afternoon up ,  and as the weekend approaches racing Friday, Saturday and until finish  Monday ,  those who have booked for the MGP fortnight  will have bugger all else to do  , until they go home at the weekend , not the way to look after  customers ,!

there are a few events after the races finish to give people something to do, IIRC there is a mini Jurby day planned for the Tuesday

• Haha 1

I think you might find the mini Jurby day  is struggling ,   an over enthusiastic  list of requirements from government  is making it almost impossible for  motorcycle clubs to run events like this any more , thats why  the VMCC stopped  their Jurby event ,I am all for health and safety  but in the Isle of Man  the jobsworths are killing everything off , 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I think you might find the mini Jurby day  is struggling ,   an over enthusiastic  list of requirements from government  is making it almost impossible for  motorcycle clubs to run events like this any more , thats why  the VMCC stopped  their Jurby event ,I am all for health and safety  but in the Isle of Man  the jobsworths are killing everything off , 

The VMCC have now withdrawn from their most recent proposals for the mini Jurby event citing onerous requirements from Govt including a requirement amounting to duplication of personnel, some of whom were outsourced contractors.

Some of their proposals have been taken up by the Andreas Racing Association who are going to try to progress them for the Jurby function.

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

Spot on, the Gov CS self appointed experts stopped the VMCC Jurby event by stipulating expensive and IMO entirely unnecessary "requirements"  while at the same time choosing to ignore and abdicate responsibility for  obvious rider safety issues on the TT/MGP course .  Funny old world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/20/2022 at 11:42 PM, Asthehills said:

Bristol Is decent, and you can hire a car from £30 a day and go where you want.

Love to know where you hire cars for that nowadays. 

I was across a couple of weeks ago and due to train cancellations etc I looked at hire cars for three days.  £500 for a small one! 

Shortage of new vehicles apparently and lots of people doing similar to avoid the rail network. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Love to know where you hire cars for that nowadays. 

I was across a couple of weeks ago and due to train cancellations etc I looked at hire cars for three days.  £500 for a small one! 

Shortage of new vehicles apparently and lots of people doing similar to avoid the rail network. 

Yes  dynamic pricing due to train cancellations I would agree

But yes hire car costs have gone up enormously. I used to treat myself when hiring a car from an airport across. The differential between hiring say a Hyundai SUV or a Mercedes or Jaguar saloon was quite small so I would go for those options and  drive a more or less brand new luxury car.

Not quite the same now. I go for the Hyundai i10!

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes  dynamic pricing due to train cancellations I would agree

But yes hire car costs have gone up enormously. I used to treat myself when hiring a car from an airport across. The differential between hiring say a Hyundai SUV or a Mercedes or Jaguar saloon was quite small so I would go for those options and  drive a more or less brand new luxury car.

Not quite the same now. I go for the Hyundai i10!

Not hired a car in ages, but previously when I have it was always a disappointment. Either they didn’t have the car I’d booked, or there were hidden costs (the headline £30 never happened), or both (Sorry sir, that nice Audi A4 you ordered isn’t available, are you happy to take the 30 year old Nissan Cedric. Same price, it’s that or nothing etc)

Increasingly these days I take the boat with my own car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Not hired a car in ages, but previously when I have it was always a disappointment. Either they didn’t have the car I’d booked, or there were hidden costs (the headline £30 never happened), or both (Sorry sir, that nice Audi A4 you ordered isn’t available, are you happy to take the 30 year old Nissan Cedric. Same price, it’s that or nothing etc)

Increasingly these days I take the boat with my own car. 

I got landed with a Toyota RAV4 on my last trip (usually go for small/med SUV).  Usually I can at least find some redeeming features of the cars I've had in the past (VW Tiguan/Hyundai Tucson) but the RAV4 had no redeeming features at all, god it was dull!  I even felt myself feeling sorry for people I saw actually owning one. 

Getting back to motorsport...

Is it just me or does the island seem quieter than usual for the MGP/Festival of ? (can never remember the exact new name DoE came up with) 

I can count on one hand the bikes with non-Manx reg number plates I've seen so far. Granted I haven't been in to Douglas yet, but the area where I live is normally buzzing with bikes by now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Is it just me or does the island seem quieter than usual for the MGP/Festival of ? (can never remember the exact new name DoE came up with) 

I can count on one hand the bikes with non-Manx reg number plates I've seen so far. Granted I haven't been in to Douglas yet, but the area where I live is normally buzzing with bikes by now. 

Defo bikes around, had a foreign bike execute a U-turn in front of me last night without him even looking down road for approaching cars, slammed brakes on so lucky him, and another one overtake so close he clipped wing mirror, so yeah they are around.

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Understandable if they stay away this year. 

They don't see any point if they can't meet the DfE Head of Motorsport, People's Price*, and all round General Legend Rob Callister MHK. 

Have to admit that thought did occur to me 😂

*Yes, I suppose we all pay the price for Rob being in government.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Roads we have been on are busy with bikes and the pubs in the evenings seem fairly busy with bikers

Considering the new format is based mainly around the coming weekend it seems fairly busy.