TT 2022 ??

Barlow

its a pity  the races have been reduced to a shadow of their former selves ,when they attracted over 100 riders for each class  we will be lucky to see  30 start in the classic lightweight , and probably only just over half the bikes  will finish , 

I just don't know what the agenda is here , the Manx Motorcycle club  ran   some great races  in the past , but the cold hand of government  is starting  make itself felt ,and I guess after the centenary of the MGP in 2023   that will be the end of it ,  its dying a death before our eyes ,  and this years new shortened format  is depriving the hospitality  and retail sector  the income they justly deserve to be able to survive , by knocking almost a week  off the event  we must be mad ,  the event can grow and should included trials , enduro ,  vintage and historic motorcycles as part of the package ,

there will be a lot of disgruntled fans here  next Tuesday morning when they realise they are stuck here until next weekend with nothing to do ,and the racing finished , 

is this what government calls growing the economy !   I think Not !

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

You should take a look for yourself then! :) 

It’ doesn’t seem that busy outside of the usual Wallace & Gromit types on their ancient sidecar combinations. Town was relatively quiet tonight even though it’s a payday weekend and went past Glenlough yesterday and it didn’t seem to be that busy. 

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

the event can grow and should included trials , enduro ,  vintage and historic motorcycles as part of the package

Like it always used to be? The Manx 2Day Trial was chased out of the period after being there since 1955 and moved to July, the Vintage Club have just walked away from Jurby again citing Govt pressures.

There are people in this Govt now who provenly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near motorcycling, full stop. Never participated, no interest in any facet of the sport. We know who they are.

The allegations that the drive was to get rid of the MGP are coming true.

23 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I am a fan of the bikes but this is the start list for this afternoons race.  I predict only a small number will finish while the rest break down.

I am not sure running a race where only a handful of people are likely to finish and yet the whole island is disrupted is the best way to endear the event to the public.

9F6E7803-32DD-40A5-BDAA-433335257C59.jpeg

Why do they leave the time gaps for the missing riders? Whats the point in a 40s gap between 2-6? 

Also, what is a Lancelot Unissart?

22 minutes ago, joebean said:

If you look at the average age of the visitors, the Government and MMC will have to do nothing to kill the event off. It has a very limited lifespan due to mortality. The TT is the same. Motorcycle racing is a legacy of a past (my) generation. 

I don’t agree.  Bike fans will continue to get older for the next few decades and support the MGP.

If I didn’t live here and was a TT visitor I would now be considering the switch to MGP.  I will be 50 next year.

Moto GP and super bike rounds I have attended this year have had spectators of all generations. The MotoGP at Silverstone figures were well down but that is more down to pricing and the running of the circuit itself.  For example it was cheaper for me to go to Austria last weekend than it was when I went to Silverstone a couple of weeks before.  The fans who were at Silverstone were younger than I remember from pre COVID.  Possibly driven by the MotoGP computer games which are a very successful franchise and the well managed social Media accounts.  The MotoGP Instagram in particular is keeping younger generations engaged.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t agree.  Bike fans will continue to get older for the next few decades and support the MGP.

If I didn’t live here and was a TT visitor I would now be considering the switch to MGP.  I will be 50 next year.

Moto GP and super bikes wound I have attended this year have had spectators of all generationsZ. The MotoGP at Silverstone figures were well down but that is more down to pricing and the run I god the circuit itself.  For example it was cheaper for me to go to Austria last weekend than it was when I went to Silverstone a couple of weeks before.  The fans who were at Silverstone were younger than I remember from pre COVID.  Possibly driven by the MotoGP computer games which are a very successful franchise and the well managed social Media accounts.  The MotoGP Instagram in particular is keeping younger generations engaged.

You cannot compare the MotoGP audience to the road racing audience. Road racing is a niche within a niche and you would struggle to find any amateur event that attracts a meaningful audience outside of those associated with the participants. Classic bikes are the domain of a “classic”audience. Don’t tell me that anyone under the age of 55 has any interest in 2 stroke 250s, for example. 
The MGP will be kept going for a few years due to the reluctance of politicians to be seen to end it, rather than the number of visitors justifying the expenditure and disruption. 

So do those of you who follow the races think this new format is working ?   It seems to be ok and the weather is being kind today and forecast for next couple of days seems alright.   After all the foreboding has it proved to be a good move ?   If so credit where it is due to the organisers .    

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So do those of you who follow the races think this new format is working ?   It seems to be ok and the weather is being kind today and forecast for next couple of days seems alright.   After all the foreboding has it proved to be a good move ?   If so credit where it is due to the organisers .    

How was your trip to Canada?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1