TT 2022 ??

Barlow

13 hours ago, Omobono said:

its a pity  the races have been reduced to a shadow of their former selves ,when they attracted over 100 riders for each class  we will be lucky to see  30 start in the classic lightweight , and probably only just over half the bikes  will finish , 

I just don't know what the agenda is here , the Manx Motorcycle club  ran   some great races  in the past , but the cold hand of government  is starting  make itself felt ,and I guess after the centenary of the MGP in 2023   that will be the end of it ,  its dying a death before our eyes ,  and this years new shortened format  is depriving the hospitality  and retail sector  the income they justly deserve to be able to survive , by knocking almost a week  off the event  we must be mad ,  the event can grow and should included trials , enduro ,  vintage and historic motorcycles as part of the package ,

there will be a lot of disgruntled fans here  next Tuesday morning when they realise they are stuck here until next weekend with nothing to do ,and the racing finished , 

is this what government calls growing the economy !   I think Not !

with this and potentially fucking about with the TT, maybe they are trying to end the TT/MGP by pissing off everybody so they don't bother coming over

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

When there were two accidents at Ago’s people were quick to blame the road as you couldn’t have such a coincidence 

It sounds like both incidents this more are in places that have already seen red flags this week.

Maybe coincidences do happen

Coincidences do happen.  But the more often they do, they happen the less likely it is they are coincidences.  Coincidences by definition are rare events.

If these recent accidents happened where accidents frequently have in the past, that is just the most dangerous places on the Course showing they are dangerous.  If these are places that racing bikes normally manage well, then there may have been changes that are increasing the likelihood of accidents.

I have never been to Canada and have never been attracted to the place so I do not get where you are coming from.   It as a genuine question to find out what the consensus of feeling is regarding the changes perhaps someone with half a brain will be kind enough to give me their thoughts.

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I have never been to Canada and have never been attracted to the place so I do not get where you are coming from.   It as a genuine question to find out what the consensus of feeling is regarding the changes perhaps someone with half a brain will be kind enough to give me their thoughts.

download (16).jpeg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, joebean said:

The MGP will be kept going for a few years due to the reluctance of politicians to be seen to end it, rather than the number of visitors justifying the expenditure and disruption. 

It seems to me the event is at least as well attended as it has been for a number of years. There's loads of bikes around and the pubs were far busier than I've seen them at any other time (apart from the TT) since Covid.

That's the thing with classics and older people. Yes older people eventually die but they are replaced by newer older people. The same with classic machinery - it wasn't all that long ago that two strokes were the new thing, they were raced in MotoGP until 2002 and a hydrogen powered version is rumoured to be making a comeback there soon.

Classics tend to be bikes spectators rode or remember from their youth, with the trend in motorcycle sales being up, despite blips with Covid and supply probelms caused by the Ukraine war, I think it's a while before classic bikes will lose their appeal, if ever.

• Like 1

Laying aside the issues around the TT/MGP with accountability, safety, competentcy of the so-called organisers and the fact that it doesn't actually make money.... 

They will continue for a good few years yet as the island has no imagination when it comes to tourism. The island will keep flogging the same old same old until time ad infinitum.

The same old boring and dated MNH sites are still open, the same old boring (and unsafe) railways are kept alive on millions of pounds of taxpayer's cash. 

So in the same vein motorsport will continue. The same team of highly paid civil servants will keep being wll paid to scratch their collective backsides. 

We could do worse than look at @Stu Petersidea for a gravity sports park on Snaefell. It's one of the only places on earth you can experience the unique Manx gravity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We could do worse than look at @Stu Petersidea for a gravity sports park on Snaefell. It's one of the only places on earth you can experience the unique Manx gravity. 

As unique selling points go, something which is ubiquitous in not only the world, but the entire universe is a pretty shit one.

You know you've got something fairly unique (as in the TT/MGP), when whinging poms start moving here and complaining about it. They could live literally anywhere else on the surface of the planet and be less affected by motorcycle road racing than here, but then they'd have nothing to whinge about would they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Billy the Kid said:

Lockdown over for today so can go out tomorrow. I hope the spectators enjoyed the few bikes that went round over almost 8 hours of closed roads!

Yes we did thanks, and everyone else I saw out watching also seemed to have a good day.

It was a shame about the midges in the evening but overall it was a cracking day and the pubs and restaurants should do well this evening.

The closed roads have been a thing for over a hundred years so aren’t really something anyone can complain about.

Fingers crossed for nice weather and a cracking day in Ramsey tomorrow

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

As unique selling points go, something which is ubiquitous in not only the world, but the entire universe is a pretty shit one.

You know you've got something fairly unique (as in the TT/MGP), when whinging poms start moving here and complaining about it. They could live literally anywhere else on the surface of the planet and be less affected by motorcycle road racing than here, but then they'd have nothing to whinge about would they?

Something can't be 'fairly unique'. Unique is one of a kind. It either is one or a kind or it isn't.

Your mind will be blown when you learn that motorbike racing isn't unique to the Isle of Man or the British Isles. 

Maybe the problem isn't 'whinging poms' coming over here, maybe the real problem is Manx Crabs that are too scared to leave the bucket every once in a while. Then you'd see how shit some of our 'attractions' are in comparison to the wider world.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1