TT 2022 ??

Barlow

11 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Manx Crabs that are too scared to leave the bucket every once in a while. Then you'd see how shit some of our 'attractions' are in comparison to the wider world.

Maybe we just need a worldly visionary such as yourself to enlighten us to the exciting new and unique opportunities on our doorstep, in the form of a single mountain and a force that has been widely understood since the seventeenth century.

You can almost hear the rest of the world cursing their tardiness as they realise any attempt to copy our lead is futile.

I really think your hatred of the island and things integral to its culture and folklore are compromising your ability for rational thought. Only someone who doesn't know which way is up would suggest gravity as a credible replacement to the TT/MGP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, Gizo doesn't like motorcycle racing to be a success because it inconveniences him for a few weeks a year, although he'll no doubt claim some other reason that he thinks will make him sound less stupid.

we might have to wait a while for that then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot from a disappointed fan on FB...quite a lot of concurring comments too.

Screenshot_20220828-115954_Facebook.jpg

Yes, some of the traditionalists have been upset by the changes but on the whole they have been welcomed. There are far more people here than I can ever recall for the MGP or CTT and spectators around the course are well up! 

Unfortunately, what some don't recognise is that they have their memories, these are memories for a new generation. If we depend on the older generation as customers, pretty soon we would have no customers and no MGP. 

There are still the MGP traditions, mixed with some new features. Part of the reason for fewer entries has been the classic element, 250 two strokes and 500 classics which made up two of the races, are becoming very expensive to run. These were on the wane several years ago and the recent financial situation hasn't helped. It was always going to be a big ask to get the event going again and I think it has really stepped up under the circumstances. The centenary next year should be a great success! 

I'm sorry that some feel the event has not come up to their expectations but it does need to move on.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

There seem to be far fewer visitors for MGP this year. One church cafe that is normally very busy has takings so low that they probably won't open next year. Have the government's massaged figures come out yet?

I have to say I think the numbers are lower too. I’ve hardly seen anyone to be honest I’d forgotten the MGP was on until I got stuck in traffic the other day. Pubs were quiet Friday night in town and there weren’t many bikes parked out on the prom either yesterday or Friday. Even the cafe under the Villa was relatively quiet yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

There seem to be far fewer visitors for MGP this year. One church cafe that is normally very busy has takings so low that they probably won't open next year. Have the government's massaged figures come out yet?

I don't agree, but I wouldn't think that's a good barometer really? The people are being encouraged to come for a shorter period, which would effect takings.

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't agree, but I wouldn't think that's a good barometer really? The people are being encouraged to come for a shorter period, which would effect takings.

I thought the whole idea of tourism was to increase takings for local businesses? I watched the first two races from a regular spot yesterday and had the whole vantage point to myself...there wasn't a soul around me. Ramsey has been quiet all week though there is an uptick today in the town with the Sprint being on. Which might be as much to do with the fact that there's little else on.

I'm hearing reports that members of the VMCC, prior to withdrawing from the Tuesday event, had difficulty even contacting the members of the TT/MGP organising hierachy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought the whole idea of tourism was to increase takings for local businesses? I watched the first two races from a regular spot yesterday and had the whole vantage point to myself...there wasn't a soul around me. Ramsey has been quiet all week though there is an uptick today in the town with the Sprint being on. Which might be as much to do with the fact that there's little else on.

I'm hearing reports that members of the VMCC, prior to withdrawing from the Tuesday event, had difficulty even contacting the members of the TT/MGP organising hierachy. 

Obviously didn't take into account the time difference between here and Canada ! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Have they tried calling Nova Scotia? 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Conflicting reports then, earlier @Roxanne stated that Ramsey was busy, I saw that the prom and grandstand area was heaving with bikes, a friend who has been coming since 1979 and has competed and sponsored riders was out watching at Cronk y Voddey reported a lot of people and a great atmosphere, good racing and he felt that there were more people here than he had ever seen at the Manx! 

It's never going to match the TT, it's a matter of perspective isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1