TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

I'm sure the Racket and the Ministry of Truth will supply numbers in due course - but only today I commented to Mrs Utah that the Manx GP seems more busy than I can recall. Perhaps the move to the shorter duration has been the reason?

I heard the other day that figures are down 40%.

But I agree, it seems busier than I've ever known it.

On 8/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, 0bserver said:

I love the Isle of Man. What I hate is seeing it being held back, sold short and in some cases dragged backwards by people like yourself. 

You're so blinkered it's almost unbelievable. 

Ah but don't you think it would be a good idea to get your very far sighted, worldly and modern gravity pursuits centre on Snaefell up and running before you get rid of the proven and enduring motorbike races we currently use to attract most of our tourists?

Just in case of the extremely unlikely event that it isn't an instant success?

• Like 1

its been a great week with people coming from all over Europe and beyond , what a pity to disappoint many by finishing racing today  ,just when it appears to be getting going , the new revised programme is crap  and should be challenged by the hotel,  cafe and ,hospitality  industry who now will be loosing customers  and money , when everyone goes home early , and those who are staying until weekend will be bored because there is nothing to see or do , 

bring back the 2 weeks MGP programme and the Manx 2 day trial ,and anything else that benefits  the tourist economy  with some very hard times looming they need all the income they can get in able to survive 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its been a great week with people coming from all over Europe and beyond , what a pity to disappoint many by finishing racing today  ,just when it appears to be getting going , the new revised programme is crap  and should be challenged by the hotel,  cafe and ,hospitality  industry who now will be loosing customers  and money , when everyone goes home early , and those who are staying until weekend will be bored because there is nothing to see or do , 

bring back the 2 weeks MGP programme and the Manx 2 day trial ,and anything else that benefits  the tourist economy  with some very hard times looming they need all the income they can get in able to survive 

I disagree with all of that but guess we are all different.

A cut down Jurby day is on tomorrow run by the VMCC.  It will be  wry different to previous years but if supported could grow to be a bigger event.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I disagree with all of that but guess we are all different.

A cut down Jurby day is on tomorrow run by the VMCC.  It will be  wry different to previous years but if supported could grow to be a bigger event.

the event tomorrow is not run by the VMCC  who had enough of the  government interference which caused significant expense, and worry    and decided enough was enough , I hope the Andreas racing club have a successful day and the cold hand of government does not suppress their  desire  to put on  a good supporting event , 

lets see what happens !

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

and those who are staying until weekend will be bored because there is nothing to see or do , 

While I agree the MGP/CTT programme should never have been shortened, to say people will "be bored because there is nothing to see or do" is selling the island short - and also the visitors themselves. (Isn't there a saying along the lines of "only boring people get bored"?)

There's plenty to see and do here if one takes the time to look. Maybe MNH will have a good few days, as well as private ventures such as Ape Mann and others. There's so much more to the island than motorcycles. 

I was at Castle Rushen last Friday with my grandson and I was pleasantly surprised by how many bikers were there with us.

There were also around 100 people off a cruise ship, (number told to me by the woman selling tickets) presumably the one anchored in PSM bay. From what I overheard they took the steam train to Castletown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

In my experience the vast majority of visitors left after the classic in the previous programme, so I think that the new programme works and mixing the races of Classic and MGP will probably save the event in the longer term. 

• Like 1

Just now, Omobono said:

Still loads of MGP visitors here , and many on the campsites , at least there spending in the local economy , 

that's mainly down the the formats being changed. A lot of people booked this a few years ago and got rinsed on this new format. Not a lot of happy campers about but as you say, at least they're spending money here (probably for the last time)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

that's mainly down the the formats being changed. A lot of people booked this a few years ago and got rinsed on this new format. Not a lot of happy campers about but as you say, at least they're spending money here (probably for the last time)

Most won't be able to afford to come back next year when the Cost of Living Emergency really hits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

What specific information are you basing “not a lot of happy campers about” on?

Apart from a vocal minority on Facebook and Twitter I haven’t heard any negativity at all?  All the people I have met at the races, grandstand, pubs, cafes and on the bus etc are having a great time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

What specific information are you basing “not a lot of happy campers about” on?

Apart from a vocal minority on Facebook and Twitter I haven’t heard any negativity at all?  All the people I have met at the races, grandstand, pubs, cafes and on the bus etc are having a great time

I'm referring to those who had booked a couple of years ago before the formats changed. We have had several people eating and whilst they have enjoyed the small amount of practice / racing they have seen they had expected this week to be as it was previously with racing. One couple arrived from USA Sunday evening only to find they had racing on Monday and that was that. Fair to say though that they asked us where was the best places to visit. As it was their first time, the world (or IOM) was their oyster

44 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I'm referring to those who had booked a couple of years ago before the formats changed. We have had several people eating and whilst they have enjoyed the small amount of practice / racing they have seen they had expected this week to be as it was previously with racing. One couple arrived from USA Sunday evening only to find they had racing on Monday and that was that. Fair to say though that they asked us where was the best places to visit. As it was their first time, the world (or IOM) was their oyster

They don’t sound very bright.

I really can’t buy the fact or suggestion  that someone booked to come years ago because they wanted to watch the MGP and yet wasn’t interested enough to know that the format has changed?

I find it even more difficult to comprehend because under the format they had originally booked for they would have missed nearly all of the classic TT as it was then and so only booked for the MGP.  I don’t see that from America, sorry.  It sounds like a made up story by someone who knows very little about the event

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1