TT 2022 ??

Barlow

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Might be worth knocking the TT/MGP on the head for next year, people just won't be able to afford to come. 

Like who?  I saw plenty of bikes worth 20k plus ridden by people in helmets that cost more than a Manx gas gas bill.

The majority aren’t people who are likely to be out off by a bit more outlay to get here, but they also aren’t the small number moaning on social media.

The group next to me at the Creg yesterday had got a taxi from Douglas to Ramsey, been around the pubs, had a meal at Harbour Views and a taxi back.  The thought about £300 each including drinks for the one evening excluding accommodation.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I find it even more difficult to comprehend because under the format they had originally booked for they would have missed nearly all of the classic TT as it was then and so only booked for the MGP.  I don’t see that from America, sorry.  It sounds like a made up story by someone who knows very little about the event

I've heard similar stories though.  You're forgetting that these will be bookings for 2020 that have been transferred over and people may not have been able to alter them - accommodation providers may not have the flexibility for example.  And many self-catering providers only take Saturday to Saturday bookings, which excludes people who only want to come for weekend events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Like who?  I saw plenty of bikes worth 20k plus ridden by people in helmets that cost more than a Manx gas gas bill.

The majority aren’t people who are likely to be out off by a bit more outlay to get here, but they also aren’t the small number moaning on social media.

The group next to me at the Creg yesterday had got a taxi from Douglas to Ramsey, been around the pubs, had a meal at Harbour Views and a taxi back.  The thought about £300 each including drinks for the one evening excluding accommodation.

The cost of living emergency hasn't even hit yet.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the official visitor stats when they are published.

If the old format over 2 weeks attracted "X" number of visitors in total, coming and going over the two week period (as they do), then if you attract a similar "X" number to the shortened, compressed programme; then yes, it's going to look busier and fuller for that shorter period.

One would naturally expect the DfE stattos to make full use of this?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

It will be interesting to see the official visitor stats when they are published.

If the old format over 2 weeks attracted "X" number of visitors in total, coming and going over the two week period (as they do), then if you attract a similar "X" number to the shortened, compressed programme; then yes, it's going to look busier and fuller for that shorter period.

I was chatting today with someone who is heavily involved for many years who reckoned it was one of the quietest he'd ever seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

it was stated today  on Mannin line they don't yet have the figures for the TT in June yet ,  so does anyone trust what government say anymore , they seem to produce figures to suit their own agenda these days , 

never known such  a  crooked ,dishonest, and  untrustworthy  bunch in government ,

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Asthehills said:

They don’t sound very bright.

I really can’t buy the fact or suggestion  that someone booked to come years ago because they wanted to watch the MGP and yet wasn’t interested enough to know that the format has changed?

I find it even more difficult to comprehend because under the format they had originally booked for they would have missed nearly all of the classic TT as it was then and so only booked for the MGP.  I don’t see that from America, sorry.  It sounds like a made up story by someone who knows very little about the event

Just because it doesn't fit in with your views doesn't mean they are not bright...

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

it was stated today  on Mannin line they don't yet have the figures for the TT in June yet ,  so does anyone trust what government say anymore , they seem to produce figures to suit their own agenda these days , 

To be fair, the figures for TT 2019 weren't released till 23 September that year, even though the report is marked August.  Presumably they wanted to give the impression that everyone was too busy organising that year's MGP before the figures were counted (even though it would be different people).  And of course the usual procedure for the production of any government report is for some lowly bod to spend a couple of weeks producing it and then lots of very highly-paid people spend months having lots of meetings to discuss how to spin it.  Before releasing it unaltered with a badly-written press handout.

Airports and airlines everywhere are in a mess, recovering from losing so many experienced staff who were laid off over covid.

I’ve done 4 flights in the last week, three different airports, two airlines.

Ryanair insisted I couldn’t take my chair on board as it has three 96Wh batteries (288Wh total). Their web site doesn’t mention numbers, just 300Wh or less. That was phone call centre. None of the airports were bothered.

Ryanair also insisted I could only sit in rows 32 or 33 as boarding and deplaning would be from the rear. More convenient for me.  I knew I was going BCN to SOF and return. Ryanair BCN use the airbridges at BCN, and can use the front entrance for the ambulift at SOF. So front makes more sense. But hey!

Swissport at SOF insisted my chair was tagged, rather than the carry protection bag it goes into when folded up. So when I handed it over at the gate the tags weren’t visible. Paranoid about the possibility of it going to the wrong airport. Insisted it was Ryanair policy. I’ve flown dozens of times with Ryanair, including through Sofia, and they’ve always tagged the bag. No one, any where, no airline, has ever tagged the chair.

Neither airport was a pleasant experience. Ryanair e-mailed 24 hours before departure to insist I pitched up 3 hours before departure. Security queues. No queues for Check-In, going through airside, security or immigration/passport control. 3 soulless hours airside.

Next week it’s Reus to Stansted. Reus is smaller than Ronaldsway. Really easy on previous trips. Car Park to check in 30 metres. Gate another 20 metres. Fingers crossed.

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

[...] One would naturally expect the DfE stattos to make full use of this?

I'm fairly sure they aren't doing a 'proper' visitor survey as they do with the TT (or at least did in 2019 - see links above).  To do this they have to quiz a representative sample of travellers at the Ferry and Airport on departure.  If they do this properly, this means they can work out what the actual TT/MGP visitor numbers are[1] and ask those in the sample how long they stayed, what they spent, what they think etc.

I don't they are doing a such a survey because they have tried to do one on the cheap by putting one up as a consultation.   But of course only a small and probably unrepresentative sample will be aware of it and bother to reply - even before any further spinning of the results.  It also should be said that the designing and processing of such surveys ought to be done by Statistics IOM, part of the Cabinet Office, who should be the people with the expertise and who shouldn't have any interest in getting any particular results.

[1]  Because you can estimate what proportions of people departing in that period came over for TT/MGP (though I suspect they may over-estimate this) as opposed to locals going away or people who have visited the Island for some other reason, and apply those to the numbers of arrivals and departures through the ports.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm fairly sure they aren't doing a 'proper' visitor survey as they do with the TT (or at least did in 2019 - see links above).  To do this they have to quiz a representative sample of travellers at the Ferry and Airport on departure.  If they do this properly, this means they can work out what the actual TT/MGP visitor numbers are[1] and ask those in the sample how long they stayed, what they spent, what they think etc.

If it's just the one online it's fairly open to abuse.

https://consult.gov.im/economic-development/2022-mgp-visitor-survey/

On 8/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, Asthehills said:

What specific information are you basing “not a lot of happy campers about” on?

Apart from a vocal minority on Facebook and Twitter I haven’t heard any negativity at all?  All the people I have met at the races, grandstand, pubs, cafes and on the bus etc are having a great time

You were saying...

image.thumb.png.0d33ae6d66cb0d4cfe16b3a6eabe77be.png

Edited by Passing Time

31 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You were saying...

image.thumb.png.0d33ae6d66cb0d4cfe16b3a6eabe77be.png

I was saying it’s a vocal minority.  The sort of vocal minority who kick up a fuss about everything when actually the silent majority are perfectly happy.

What you have posted there doesn’t change my opinion at all, they are just the type to be in the press and can be found at nearly every event.