TT 2022 ??

Barlow

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes I’ve seen more bikers hanging round Douglas in the last few days with nothing to do than I saw when the racing was on. Was talking to a guy yesterday who said he’d had a good time but still didn’t know what dates to book for next year as it hasn’t been decided on yet and he was only hanging round now as when he booked he assumed the MGP racing was going to go on into this week as usual. But now he was hanging round for a few days largely doing bugger all. We really don’t make it easy for anyone. 

i know of 2 instances where people have tried to move ferry bookings over the MGP period and were quoted £300 to do so ,  one missed the boat because they broke down on the way to ferry , the other wanted to leave early cos the racing was over ,  that's a hell of a price when the actual journey is already paid for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WTF said:

i know of 2 instances where people have tried to move ferry bookings over the MGP period and were quoted £300 to do so ,  one missed the boat because they broke down on the way to ferry , the other wanted to leave early cos the racing was over ,  that's a hell of a price when the actual journey is already paid for.

Totally diabolical. 

• Like 2

Met bikers in Peel today who had booked travel  the year before which is what fans tend to do  to be able to get a ferry and somewhere to stay , and disappointed the decision was made in late January to shorten the traditional race programme , big problem for 2023 and the Centenary of the Manx Grand prix , no one seems to have any dates or information , usually at the Manx there are advertising banners , information on Manx radio  giving the programme and race dates  for the next years racing , and on the way home fans make their booking  .So whats going on ? is the cold hand of Government trying to kill off the MGP ,its well known Government dictated this years  new race programme to the Manx motorcycle club  that has had a real impact on local traders Pubs and eating places ,and created a lot of disappointed  customers , who might just give the Island  a miss , come on Rob Collister sort your motorsport team out  or perhaps give us the reason government wanted the traditional MGP festival shortened  so we can be enlightened , 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

come on Rob Collister sort your motorsport team out  or perhaps give us the reason government wanted the traditional MGP festival shortened  so we can be enlightened , 

It is Rob Callister and you have to say it three times for any kind of reaction to occur.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Met bikers in Peel today who had booked travel  the year before which is what fans tend to do  to be able to get a ferry and somewhere to stay , and disappointed the decision was made in late January to shorten the traditional race programme , big problem for 2023 and the Centenary of the Manx Grand prix , no one seems to have any dates or information , usually at the Manx there are advertising banners , information on Manx radio  giving the programme and race dates  for the next years racing , and on the way home fans make their booking  .So whats going on ? is the cold hand of Government trying to kill off the MGP ,its well known Government dictated this years  new race programme to the Manx motorcycle club  that has had a real impact on local traders Pubs and eating places ,and created a lot of disappointed  customers , who might just give the Island  a miss , come on Rob Collister sort your motorsport team out  or perhaps give us the reason government wanted the traditional MGP festival shortened  so we can be enlightened , 

A big factor was that the TTMA could not guarantee sufficient marshals for the full race week. 

The dates have not been set for next year yet, as with so many changes for this year, they need to be evaluated

Edited by Max Power

Just now, Max Power said:

A big factor was that the TTMA could not guarantee sufficient marshals for the full race week. 

well yes, which is surprising as they did a lot of shouting that they had plenty of marshalls for the TT yet had to beg around for marshals to run the senior on saturday , i know a marshal that hadn't marshalled for years that helped out and he ended being drafted in to do the MGP full time too, i think they don't have the numbers they claim to have, must be skelly doing the sums for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

The dates have not been set for next year yet, as with so many changes for this year, they need to be evaluated

Max , you know the score' people will always want to book the ferry and the digs , campsite etc at least a year in advance   preferably before they return home , how can you possibly plan to celebrate 100 years of the Manx Grand Prix ,if you haven't got dates in the diary and at least a provisional race programme , so come clean , who is dragging their feet here if there is any logic or sense to this .the centenary must be capable of filling a two week period of practice , historic  parades , and an action packed race programme that will attract enthusiasts from all over  the UK Europe and beyond ,and while were at it no more boring races with 20 odd  starters and  less then 16 finishers !, give people a purpose to come and spend money into the economy , 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Omobono said:

Max , you know the score' people will always want to book the ferry and the digs , campsite etc at least a year in advance   preferably before they return home , how can you possibly plan to celebrate 100 years of the Manx Grand Prix ,if you haven't got dates in the diary and at least a provisional race programme , so come clean , who is dragging their feet here if there is any logic or sense to this .the centenary must be capable of filling a two week period of practice , historic  parades , and an action packed race programme that will attract enthusiasts from all over  the UK Europe and beyond ,and while were at it no more boring races with 20 odd  starters and  less then 16 finishers !, give people a purpose to come and spend money into the economy , 

I agree with what you say, but I don't think that there will be too much of a delay for the reasons you say. I guess that it's just a question of being sure that it worked, or that more time is needed. 

Don't forget that race meetings all over the country are struggling following Covid, the exception was the S100 which attracts almost exactly the same riders as the MGP only they need fewer numbers to fill their grids. Many regulars have retired, several withdrew for financial reasons or lack of machinery. If you attend any club meeting you'll find depleted entries. The MGP and TT have to run machines which are used elsewhere too so the options to be different are very limited. 

The new SPCo ferry will help availability next year too hopefully.  

On 8/31/2022 at 12:46 AM, Omobono said:

it was stated today  on Mannin line they don't yet have the figures for the TT in June yet ,  so does anyone trust what government say anymore , they seem to produce figures to suit their own agenda these days , 

I would have thought in this digital age and with us living on an Island and all that, almost instant running figures would be available. Certainly totals within a few days, say a week.

To be fair it was a transitionary year and it was probably difficult to announce the changes to the event at a time that would suit everybody. However, a lot were caught out. I met a couple who booked a year ago for race week and saw one day, as a result. 
The MMC stalwarts were always asking for the modern and classic bikes to be combined in the programme, simply because the “modern” machines, which they favoured were primarily scheduled for the last three race days when most people had gone home. It makes sense, I suppose to shorten the programme and combine the modern and classic machines. The problem with that is that you offer a programme that only half-interests those that prefer the replica and classic races or the modern bikes. 600s are not really modern bikes anymore as no manufacturer makes new sports bikes in the 600 class. 
Smart government who wanted to use taxpayers money smartly would now be looking very closely at the future of tourism beyond our legacy motorsport events, which are likely to be offering diminishing returns. I hope that some concerted effort is going on behind the scenes to determine a sustainable tourism contribution to the economy, beyond the flight of fancy number-plucking announcements currently being offered. Let’s hope. 

Edited by joebean

22 minutes ago, joebean said:

600s are not really modern bikes anymore as no manufacturer makes new sports bikes in the 600 class. 

I wonder what would happen to the market if Isle of Man TT announced that its biggest class was now 600cc.

Edited by AOR