TT 2022 ??

Barlow

On 1/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, Max Power said:

I'd have said this had occurred at least five or six times, maybe more, with no issue, particularly over the past ten years or so leading up to the incident. Prior to this it was very rare to stop a race or practice session and it was introduced as it became more common to do so.

is there any need for course cars to travel at the speed they do? there has been many an occasion I’ve thought if a course car crashes it would cause mayhem, although never in a million years did I think an incident like that would occur, they always used a travelling Marshall to fetch riders back.

20 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

They need to travel at speed to an incident

But do they? Isn't that the job of the emergency services and the Marshalls. I can't think of a scenario where the course car needs to travel at speed. It is just another risk of an another accident. It seems to make them feel important zooming around in the Scooby.

9 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

its important to get fresh eyes on a scene. If you witness crash even as a bystander your capacity for rational thought is not optimal. A travelling marshal or course inspection team can take charge as they arrive with a resolution mindset. 

But the racing has stopped. That's the important thing. The emergency services are there. I'm sorry but I absolutely disagree. The course marshall is more about what needs to be done to make the course safe for a restart. Yes that needs to be done in a timely manner but does not need a Subaru zooming round at 100mph. 60mph is fine.

• Like 2

Another role of the course car is to deliver marshals to a scene, replace and move marshals and collect riders to get them back to the grandstand after a mechanical failure or a tumble with no injury.

Personally I think 100mph top speed is totally acceptable for an experienced rally/circuit driver on closed roads. I am not sure all course car drivers have had the relevant experience in the past though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

is there any need for course cars to travel at the speed they do? there has been many an occasion I’ve thought if a course car crashes it would cause mayhem, although never in a million years did I think an incident like that would occur, they always used a travelling Marshall to fetch riders back.

Speed is pretty subjective, going fast doesn't have to mean recklessness. I don't think anyone expected an incident like that to occur, they always did use a TM to fetch riders back, that was the procedure that had been followed and was well known by all concerned, riders, marshals, car drivers etc.   

44 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Speed is pretty subjective, going fast doesn't have to mean recklessness. I don't think anyone expected an incident like that to occur, they always did use a TM to fetch riders back, that was the procedure that had been followed and was well known by all concerned, riders, marshals, car drivers etc.   

History has proven otherwise. Sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Entries for TT 2022 opened today (3FM News).

I hope it's going to happen but I couldn't resist:

tumbleweed.jpg.de9a3825ec193c07f2a6639fe2e4de8e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomTucker said:

its important to get fresh eyes on a scene. If you witness crash even as a bystander your capacity for rational thought is not optimal. A travelling marshal or course inspection team can take charge as they arrive with a resolution mindset. 

I've been marshalling for over 10 years and we've had quite a few "offs" , sadly including two fatals . The TM , on arrival , is then in charge. The occupants of the course inspection car  have never taken charge and have seldom even turned up and/or stopped other than to pick  up  retired  riders to return them to the grandstand. :flowers: . I see no reason for a course/VIP car to have a 'blast' around the course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1