TT 2022 ??

Barlow

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Calling it "common" is definitely a rumour. Internal decapitation might be "common", but decaptiation is not.

This. 

The medical term for internal decapitation is occipitocervical dissociation, which is caused by rupture of the ligaments that connect the skull to the neck. It is often a fatal injury, and in those who survive, severe neurologic deficits are common.

70% of internal decapitation results in immediate death. Those who survive are often left with severe, life-changing injuries. There are the occasionally happy endings.

Although the article I linked to describes this type of injury as rare, I doubt that description takes road-racing motorcyclists on the Isle of Man into account.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Define “common”. I’ve known of 3 or 4 in my time here. I’d suggest that outside of Islamic State activities, TT is possibly the commonest cause of decapitation. 

3 or 4 complete decapitations? I knew of 1-2 in the last couple of decades (not that I'm about to make any assumptions about your age!). I suppose the definition of "common" is the rub, it's not the end-result in a significant number of the crashes at the event.

EDIT: Probably more than a couple of decades actually, I keep forgetting how far into dates starting with "20" we are.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

This. 

70% of internal decapitation results in immediate death. Those who survive are often left with severe, life-changing injuries. There are the occasionally happy endings.

Although the article I linked to describes this type of injury as rare, I doubt that description takes road-racing motorcyclists on the Isle of Man into account.

It's also the kindest way to kill a mouse that's been wounded in a trap.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Define “common”. I’ve known of 3 or 4 in my time here. I’d suggest that outside of Islamic State activities, TT is possibly the commonest cause of decapitation. 

But have you actually seen them or just been told about them? I personally have seen two crashes in which I was later told ( by people I'd normally trust) that the rider had been decapitated, yet I knew it not to be true. One rider even survived, presumably sewed his head back on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I've known a few, but as far as I'm aware blunt force trauma and neck fractures are the two main causes? Sadly it sometimes doesn't seem to take too much to see someone off, I don't know how I'm still here?   

Edited by Max Power

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

But have you actually seen them or just been told about them? I personally have seen two crashes in which I was later told ( by people I'd normally trust) that the rider had been decapitated, yet I knew it not to be true. One rider even survived, presumably sewed his head back on?

Not seen myself - I’m either in the hospital, and these ones don’t get brought in, or well away from the course during racing - but first hand accounts from doctors that do the first-responder type work at the scene. 

• Like 2

My son was a first responder and totally agrees with Wrighty. It seems that some folk are taking this subject lightly, I refer you to a post I wrote quite a few years ago about the scene that presents itself to first responders, the post includes the phrase , 'a quivering, steaming pile of what was a human being'.

Absolutely horrible but the reality of a first responder!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

A relative witnessed first hand the incident I am referring to it was 70 years ago and the body and the head were on the stretcher quite separate it was traumatic so say the least.

I have witnessed/attended  a number of incidents including , sadly , two 'fatals' . 

I  subsequently heard individuals  telling others precisely what happened ( particularly in relation to one of the 'fatals')and when I tried to correct them  was shouted down until I told them that "I  was there " .This  individual stated , totally incorrectly, that parts of the body were detached .

On another occasion they even got the site of the incident wrong  (but then again so did the radio).

All I'm saying is that on occasions people can embellish/exaggerate  any story , for reasons best known to themselves, and perhaps a first question should be  "were you there ,did you witness the event? " before believing  and repeating what could just be " bloke on the pub nonsense".

Doc fixit, as a marshal I could be called a 'first responder' , my responsibility is to attend the rider or assist the medic (if we are lucky enough to have one ), and your lurid description is not one that I recognise , perhaps I've been lucky .

Just saying:flowers:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paswt said:

[...] as a marshal I could be called a 'first responder' , my responsibility is to attend the rider or assist the medic (if we are lucky enough to have one ), and your lurid description is not one that I recognise , perhaps I've been lucky .

Not so much lucky as statistically much less likely.  Ambulance staff, doctors and so on are going to go to accidents over all or a large part of the Course, and so witness many more incidents - and the most serious ones.  Any individual marshal will only see those in a comparatively small section.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

This. 

for future reference, when i click something that mentions happy endings i don't expect to be reading that or fairy tales , OK .     😉

• Haha 1