TT 2022 ??

Barlow

I expect the tourism lot have got to by punchy and sound confident but behind the scenes it will be a hope for the best strategy.   Unfortunately with a mammoth event like this forward planning is key, very difficult for all concerned.   If  I owned a fancy goods shop that sold sweatshirts I would be ordering them without the date on that is for sure.

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, Max Power said:

Speed is pretty subjective, going fast doesn't have to mean recklessness. I don't think anyone expected an incident like that to occur, they always did use a TM to fetch riders back, that was the procedure that had been followed and was well known by all concerned, riders, marshals, car drivers etc.   

Is it subjective? they do travel at high speed, but what is the advantage of a course car travelling at high speed? why do they need to drive like an emergency response vehicle?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

One of the brain-buckets on here should be able to work out the distance and the time taken to cover it A to B at 70mph or +100mph. Was there a doctor or de-fib in the course car? 

Does the course car usually do a full lap? If so the difference is fairly significant.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Is it subjective? they do travel at high speed, but what is the advantage of a course car travelling at high speed? why do they need to drive like an emergency response vehicle?

To clear the track to take advantage of the limited road closure time available. Speed is subjective, could you tell what speed a car is doing from the side of the road? What seems fast on an open road will not be fast on a closed road where you can use the full width. The Mercer incident is the only time I recall a course car being involved in anything, I may be wrong?  

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

To clear the track to take advantage of the limited road closure time available. Speed is subjective, could you tell what speed a car is doing from the side of the road? What seems fast on an open road will not be fast on a closed road where you can use the full width. The Mercer incident is the only time I recall a course car being involved in anything, I may be wrong?  

Course car yes, but a Scooby VIP car stuffed it at Sulby Bridge a few years back. Still not been taught car extraction on IMC course..

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I don’t know what sort of information they get forwarded on the radio but if it’s a red flag incident I can’t see it makes any difference if they get their in 20 minutes or 40 minutes, it’s not going to be cleared any quicker. Gone are the days of a quick sweep, throwing some concrete down, removing the debris of the course and carrying on like it didn’t happen.

How much knowledge do you have as an ex racer? If you know the goings on and say that it’s required then I’ll be inclined to believe you.

There has been a few close calls with course cars, never a serious incident though pre mercer ( to my knowledge anyway) some even caused by spectators themselves dicking about on/near track after being bored with delays etc

As a spectator all I can say is they drive bloody quick and certainly pushing on in places, I understand they aren’t competing so might only be giving it perhaps 90% but if it was to go wrong it will happen in a big way.

• Like 1

So Rob hopes the cost of a new score board will be included in the budget, surely that should come out of the departments allocation unless it is going to be super expensive which it probably is and that is why it got knocked back by the Treasury last time it was put before them.   It is apparently going to be a mix of the latest technology with heritage……..so ….mega bucks.   If the temporary is suitable to the hopefully run 2022 event why not use that in the future it can be taken down after each event and stored, according to the latest info on MR in an interview with Rob.    This obsession with spending money on non essentials is crippling the Island and should be addressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2