TT 2022 ??

Barlow

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's always good to look on the bright side. 

Bright side …………….. a dose of realism more like. Even if these throngs of tourists do come here, the dereliction, squalor and decay will certainly put people off from returning. 

If Allinson says that everything is booming and hotels are expecting bumper figures the perhaps the COVID support schemes need to be ceased. I would imagine the outrage from the Hoteliers and the LVA.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Bright side …………….. a dose of realism more like. Even if these throngs of tourists do come here, the dereliction, squalor and decay will certainly put people off from returning. 

If I ever want cheering up on a Sunday morning I'm going to save your posts for Monday in future🤣

• Haha 3

If experts like this Zahawi gent, as posted elsewhere, are predicting via whatever divine means available to them, that the virus is going to be around for another six-odd years how does that fit with the TT going ahead?

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If experts like this Zahawi gent, as posted elsewhere, are predicting via whatever divine means available to them, that the virus is going to be around for another six-odd years how does that fit with the TT going ahead?

Probably similar to the way other sporting events went ahead around the world over the past two years? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Probably similar to the way other sporting events went ahead around the world over the past two years? 

Much of the past two years haven't seen the Omnicron variant though? And not many other sporting events involve people jammed cheek-to-jowel in holes in hedges and road junctions to spectate though, in a location that (currently) has an extremely high incidence of virus.

Unless there's a reduction in this (hopefully likely with the onset of warmer weather) setting and policing any sort of distancing requirement will be very difficult?

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Much of the past two years haven't seen the Omnicron variant though? And not many other sporting events involve people jammed cheek-to-jowel in holes in hedges and road junctions to spectate though, in a location that (currently) has an extremely high incidence of virus.

Unless there's a reduction in this (hopefully likely with the onset of warmer weather) setting and policing any sort of distancing requirement will be very difficult?

But the Omicron variant is far less serious, we have had packed football stadiums for over a year now. We are being held in some sort of limbo now by a virus that is fading away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Allinson on the NPM this morning, giving it large, everything in the garden is rosy. The hoteliers are expecting bumper bookings,

how can hotels have bumper bookings TT week when they are always full then anyway 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It’s going to be alright. 

Or it isn’t.

Either way it’s out of our control but at least our government are preparing for the best in the hope that it’s going to be alright. 

If you’re going to spend time thinking of it, why not think of the positive. It’s so much better for you - and us. :)

I hope it does go ahead Rox; but for me, these sort of releases are too bullish, too early. I would be offering cautious optimism at this stage.

I appreciate that it's a very difficult call for all concerned with planning and businesses to run but if people act on this sort of stuff and then it doesn't happen, then the finger-pointing starts all over again. DfE aren't known for the accuracy of their predictions either. Businesses and their owners may suffer but nobody at DfE loses anything.

• Like 1

'2112', is the Bishop and all the doom & gloom is to drive us back to the Church!

I haven't been out for weeks, not because of covid but I don't want to step foot in dirty filthy Douglas!!!

If I go to church tonight, I'll have two Dyson HEPA filters on my face.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Alf Cannan is hardly gushing with enthusiasm for the TT going ahead?

If you listen to Allinson speak he sounds almost monotonous hardly any optimistic tone in his voice, but is the Alf, except shouty. I get the impression with all this ‘action’ to be ready for the TT, it’s a bare minimum but maximum effort being seen to do something. If Covid figures don’t go down or another variant is discovered, and then the event is shelved, the powers that be will probably insist ‘don’t blame me, we were getting things ready and prepared, it isn’t our fault’ mantras. 

• Like 2