TT 2022 ??

Barlow

Just now, 2112 said:

If you listen to Allinson speak he sounds almost monotonous hardly any optimistic tone in his voice, but is the Alf, except shouty. I get the impression with all this ‘action’ to be ready for the TT, it’s a bare minimum but maximum effort being seen to do something. If Covid figures don’t go down or another variant is discovered, and then the event is shelved, the powers that be will probably insist ‘don’t blame me, we were getting things ready and prepared, it isn’t our fault’ mantras. 

One gets the impression that they are going through the motions but not convincing anyone.

However there is definitely some hope and we should be more optimistic. The hesitancy is knocking confidence. We need a political sponsor who is genuinely optimistic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WTF said:

how can hotels have bumper bookings TT week when they are always full then anyway 

He was referring to the season ahead, the island is going to get throngs and hordes of holidaymakers, all coming here because they won’t go to Spain.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

One gets the impression that they are going through the motions but not convincing anyone.

However there is definitely some hope and we should be more optimistic. The hesitancy is knocking confidence. We need a political sponsor who is genuinely optimistic. 

Robs the optimistic one - he’s optimistic that he’s going to be a Minister, and sat at the big table.

Most expert opinion and the data that supports the opinions is pointing to Omicron peaking during January and the end of the pandemic, moving to an endemic infection. I think our policy on the Island of having the bare minimum of restrictions with an understanding that infections of the current variant spiralling, as a result, alongside an active vaccination policy is going to provide a highly protected and immune local population. Of course it is a gamble, since we don’t know what the next variant will be like, but all the indications are that we are entering a much safer period. 
Given that, it must be right to be optimistic and hopeful and plan for a successful tourism season. Whether you like the TT or not, it is a major part of the Island’s tourism offering and it has to be DfE’s job to sell it. I don’t see that there is anything wrong with what they are doing. It’s called doing what they are paid to do. I don’t really care for either Rob Callister or Alex Allinson as politicians, but they are trying to prepare for success rather than failure and with that failure, another year of the taxpayer supporting the sector. Not a lot to criticise there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I wish I was as positive as you. I just can’t see that behind any of the BS being pumped out that a TT will happen. I don’t actually think a large part of government want a TT either. It’s that post covid malaise. Unless you really need the money nobody wants to be stressed or busy.

OK, but what do you think is going to stop it from happening, exactly? I can see some challenges, but nothing that is not surmountable, given the will to do it. You imagine, maybe, that pre-Covid, the event happened without any difficulties being put in the way. I don't think that has ever been the case. In the end, our tourism sector depends on the major events and, because of that, there are a lot of reasons to do he graft to make the TT happen. I don't believe any single Government Department would want to be blamed for failing to do their bit and the event failing, as result. One thing that will never change is politicians and departments of government being unwilling to be held to account for failure. The big question will be the availability of volunteer marshals and medics, but I suspect things are happening behind the scenes to try and get the numbers needed. I used to marshal at the TT and MGP, but that will never happen again. I suspect my lack of interest will not be reflected across the board and marshals will step forward, as usual. We will see.

I had high hopes for Allison but he's quickly fell under the spell of civil servants peddling nonsense to justify their jobs.  What has Motorsport been doing for two years?  On what data has Dr A based his 500k visitors per year?

Personally I can't see TT going ahead, although I would love it to happen. A lack of medical staff and no hospitality staff.  Even if we are covid free we won't solve the staffing issues.  The departments responsible need to publish a proper plan and execute it.  But they can't even sort a scoreboard out with two years notice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The state of the roads is the elephant in the room.

DOI dont have the staff anymore to do the required amount of work before May IMHO

They were shutting the mountain for 3 months? But stopped it because of the prom. If that work still needs doing, what about the rest?

careful Bozza, mention that and the TT pro brigade will be after you, i had gall the point out the new tarmac bumps on the pit entrance, the ridiculous 'lets do pit exit lines and pretend its a bus lane' and the lovely pothole forming at the bottom of bray and was given a lecture on racing lines like i was a fucking 5 year old.

Simple factor is the roads are shit and if the CoC passes it fit then i hope his insurance is well paid up.

Edited by The Chief
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

careful Bozza, mention that and the TT pro brigade will be after you, i had gall the point out the new tarmac bumps on the pit entrance, the ridiculous 'lets do pit exit lines and pretend its a bus lane' and the lovely pothole forming at the bottom of bray and was given a lecture on racing lines like i was a fucking 5 year old.

Simple factor is the roads are shit and if the CoC passes it fit then i hope his insurance is well paid up.

If the motorcyclers want a billiard table of a racing circuit then they ( and only they) should pay the cost of it. Not me. I am perfectly happy with the road surface around the TT course ( as it is known by motorcyclers). 

There are greater road issues than the entrance to the pit lane.

Sorry.

• Like 5

Just now, Happier diner said:

If the motorcyclers want a billiard table of a racing circuit then they ( and only they) should pay the cost of it. Not me. I am perfectly happy with the road surface around the TT course ( as it is known by motorcyclers). 

There are greater road issues than the entrance to the pit lane.

Sorry.

When you actually think about it, it's amazing how much tax money is spent on people's hobbies. 

TT Course 

Toy Trains 

Old Boats 

Why? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

The state of the roads is the elephant in the room.

DOI dont have the staff anymore to do the required amount of work before May IMHO

They were shutting the mountain for 3 months? But stopped it because of the prom. If that work still needs doing, what about the rest?

The DOI often use contractors for major road schemes

• Sad 1