TT 2022 ??

Barlow

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And what exactly would these new and innovative sustainable tourism attractions be?  Or do you have an idea and are looking for Government funding for it because you know it won't work commercially?

You're funny. But I have no interest in entertaining coach loads of coffin dodgers. 

That's the beauty of innovation - we would see what ideas people put forward. 

But you're stuck in the old blinkered way that you can only keep repeating the same old tired attractions and events, yet you hope for a better outcome. 

3 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

You're funny. But I have no interest in entertaining coach loads of coffin dodgers. 

That's the beauty of innovation - we would see what ideas people put forward. 

But you're stuck in the old blinkered way that you can only keep repeating the same old tired attractions and events, yet you hope for a better outcome. 

I'm funny?  Try taking a look in the mirror especially if your profile picture is a selfie! 

You don't seem to have any ideas at all beyond disposing of what we already have and whatever the hell "gravity sports" are.

You have also suggested replacing the tram lines with cycle and foot paths.  How has that worked out for the old Douglas - Peel line and the Peel - Ramsey route although that has been less developed.  Do you think they attract many new tourists?  Even as footpaths or cycleways they are hardly full of users. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

We need to diversify. Close 50% of the MNH sites. SIngle the MER and put a cycle/footpath alongside (and ideally close it altogether past Laxey). 

Use the money saved to help develop new and innovative sustainable tourism attractions. 

22 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And what exactly would these new and innovative sustainable tourism attractions be?  Or do you have an idea and are looking for Government funding for it because you know it won't work commercially?

I'd agree get rid of the trainset.   Anything with rails over here is just a waste of money.

Unless we get a Monorail....

The end2end mountain bike thing used to be really popular, but it's gone more extreme in recent years and more the downhill/enduro angle.  If the IOMG invested some money into proper mountain bike trail park it would be great.  Expand on what is being done at South Barrule at the moment.  That kind of thing.  Posh hostel accommodation? 

Although the fact that someone keeps sabotaging the events is a bit of a downer. 

Edited by The Phantom

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The end2end mountain bike thing used to be really popular, but it's gone more extreme in recent years and more the downhill/enduro angle.  If the IOMG invested some money into proper mountain bike trail park it would be great.  Expand on what is being done at South Barrule at the moment.  That kind of thing.  Posh hostel accommodation? 

Again, you are looking for the IOMG to stop pending money on Manx Heritage, and divert it instead to a mountain bike trail park which is another niche interest.  If such a venture was commercially viable don't you think someone would already have done this? 

Maybe from an environmental perspective this is sustainable but from a commercial and heritage sense it is worse.

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If such a venture was commercially viable don't you think someone would already have done this? 

Maybe from an environmental perspective this is sustainable but from a commercial and heritage sense it is worse.

No because the IOMG own the plantations.  No one can build without their permission.

I actually know people that have looked into it and been blocked by Govt meddling at every turn.

I also know some guys that got pretty far along trying to put in place a water park (cable run waterskiing etc) in one of the reservoirs, again shot down by Govt.

Both of these were private Ventures just looking for Govt permission/support, not money.

Edited by The Phantom

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Again, you are looking for the IOMG to stop pending money on Manx Heritage, and divert it instead to a mountain bike trail park which is another niche interest.  If such a venture was commercially viable don't you think someone would already have done this? 

Are you trying to say that the current 'heritage' things are commercially sustainable?! 🤣

Gravity sports can include all kind of attractions but you won't see that as you're so stuck in the past. 

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

No because the IOMG own the plantations.  No one can build without their permission.

I actually know people that have looked into it and been blocked by Govt meddling at every turn.

I also know some guys that got pretty far along trying to put in place a water park (cable run waterskiing etc) in one of the reservoirs, again shot down by Govt.

I did expect that answer.  Is there no other suitable land in private ownership that could be used?  I appreciate that there won't be in relation to reservoirs.

1 minute ago, James Blonde said:

Are you trying to say that the current 'heritage' things are commercially sustainable?! 🤣

No, I am saying that they are part of the Manx Heritage and therefore have a place in preservation.

1 minute ago, James Blonde said:

Gravity sports can include all kind of attractions but you won't see that as you're so stuck in the past. 

Seriously?  Name some!  All I am asking you to do is put forward something more specific than "gravity sports" that would be a real attraction to for people both coming to and living on the Island.  It should not be hard...

I suspect you won't suggest anything because you know it won't hold up to any form of scrutiny as it is likely to be a very niche interest or done on the adjacent islands already and therefore would not differentiate the Island from anywhere else.

Anyway, I think you are stuck in the past.  Why not anti-gravity sports?  That would be really different and not that long ago the Isle of Man was listed as the 5th most likely nation to land on the moon...

9 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

What gravity sports & how will they be commercially successful?

39 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd agree get rid of the trainset.   Anything with rails over here is just a waste of money.

Unless we get a Monorail....

Then we would only waste 'Half' the money?

We already have a large Gravity Tourism sector............ the two weeks of the TT!

Come to the IOM, discover Gravity!!!

• Haha 2

I sorry I did edit my post to say both the trail park and watermark were private commercial proposals by people that are successful business men. Just looking for govt support using the Govt owned land, not money.

'Adventure sports' would cover it better. There are already operations like Venture Centre, Adventurous Experiences, 2 x SUP Co's, a few mtb guides etc. Must prove there is some market for these as they've all operated for a while.

I think Ape Man were looking g to do something in one of the old quarries. Again shot down.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The TT is well into its second century and has grown in popularity in recent years. How much more sustainable do you want?

Only a few weeks a year.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

'Adventure sports' would cover it better. There are already operations like Venture Centre, Adventurous Experiences, 2 x SUP Co's, a few mtb guides etc. Must prove there is some market for these as they've all operated for a while.

I think Ape Man were looking g to do something in one of the old quarries. Again shot down.

Can't get much more adventurous than the TT! 

I think you are right that the operations you have mentioned are successful.  Where I see the issue is that these ventures are probably more used by locals rather than something that makes the Island a "must visit".  The TT has that uniqueness and standing because it is so different from any other type of motorcycle racing - the road racing in Ireland probably being the closest and maybe Pike's Peak but the TT is on a different scale.

I think the test is when you travel the world and speak to someone about the Isle of Man what do they generally know about it?  Manx Cats and the TT are probably the most common positive reply.  Tax Haven is probably the most common negative association. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Can't get much more adventurous than the TT! 

I think you are right that the operations you have mentioned are successful.  Where I see the issue is that these ventures are probably more used by locals rather than something that makes the Island a "must visit".  The TT has that uniqueness and standing because it is so different from any other type of motorcycle racing - the road racing in Ireland probably being the closest and maybe Pike's Peak but the TT is on a different scale.

I think the test is when you travel the world and speak to someone about the Isle of Man what do they generally know about it?  Manx Cats and the TT are probably the most common positive reply.  Tax Haven is probably the most common negative association. 

Oh I'm totally pro TT. That's our true heritage that's of widest interest. It would be a travesty if it went. 

Nothing with rails though 😉

Castles and stuff are fine.

• Like 2