TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So you're suggesting the TT is bad for tourism because, for two weeks of the year,  it causes travel to and accommodation on the island to be so full of, well tourists, that other tourists find it difficult to get here?

Well I guess that has about as much logic as the majority of criticism the TT.

You can't really argue with that kind of bigotry.

Bigotry. Having an opinion doesn't count as Bigotry.

I love the TT. However I am not deluded enough to think it brings in a net profit of any significance. My sadness around the TT is the dinosaurs that run it. As @James Blondesays, it's got doomed written all over it.

This is because it never changes and adapts. Its a minority sport at the end of the day and it will end as a result of not being able to be run in a safe manner and because it is not embracing new technology. Its a tired old formula supported by tired old men. 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Are you trying to say that the current 'heritage' things are commercially sustainable?! 🤣

Gravity sports can include all kind of attractions but you won't see that as you're so stuck in the past. 

The trouble with gravity is it's not unique to the IoM. They have the stuff all over the world and it's free.

No doubt once the gravity sports have been here a few years, you'll be whinging about them and saying we should switch gravity off because it's not sustainable.

One common factor I've noticed in the places I've been as a tourist and enjoyed, is that the locals seem to like living there, feel a part of the place and are therefore more invested in you enjoying your stay. They see some good in their history and culture etc and are happy to help you discover it.

I have been other places and met people like you, who denigrate everything about the place and think it should be changed to suit their narrow minded beliefs.

I know which kind of place I'd prefer as a tourist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I love the TT. However I am not deluded enough to think it brings in a net profit of any significance. My sadness around the TT is the dinosaurs that run it. As @James Blondesays, it's got doomed written all over it.

This is because it never changes and adapts. Its a minority sport at the end of the day and it will end as a result of not being able to be run in a safe manner and because it is not embracing new technology. Its a tired old formula supported by tired old men. 

How about a TT (pedal) cycling fest? That should appeal to quite a few. 

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So you're suggesting the TT is bad for tourism because, for two weeks of the year,  it causes travel to and accommodation on the island to be so full of, well tourists, that other tourists find it difficult to get here?

It sounds odd, but it's a real problem.  The truth is that most people who come for TT don't want to come for the full fortnight, but for seven days or less, and even if they wanted to stay that long they couldn't all get the sailings.  So while places may be full around Mad Sunday for a couple of nights, that's less true for the rest of the period and that's a lot of unfilled accommodation that isn't being paid for.  Obviously anyone who isn't a bike fan won't want to fill them.

It affects the weeks before and after as well.  Nowadays most people don't take Saturday to Saturday holidays, so accommodation tends to empty out before the TT fans arrive and be slow to fill after they leave.  One of the reason TT prices are so high is that accommodation providers need to compensate for all the empty space they have surrounding the event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

How about a TT (pedal) cycling fest? That should appeal to quite a few. 

I'd be happy if they even used a bit of hybrid technology. Even just to mix it up a bit. Saying that, expecting someone to pedal 750kg of metal round the course would be quite interesting I guess. The downhill would be quite fast. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Can't get much more adventurous than the TT! 

I think you are right that the operations you have mentioned are successful.  Where I see the issue is that these ventures are probably more used by locals rather than something that makes the Island a "must visit".  The TT has that uniqueness and standing because it is so different from any other type of motorcycle racing - the road racing in Ireland probably being the closest and maybe Pike's Peak but the TT is on a different scale.

I think the test is when you travel the world and speak to someone about the Isle of Man what do they generally know about it?  Manx Cats and the TT are probably the most common positive reply.  Tax Haven is probably the most common negative association. 

You have forgotten the Vikings - I thought Government had someone dressed up as a Viking and was wheeled out when there were tv cameras here doing an outside broadcast, though I apologise if I’m wrong.

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Your second paragraph is pure bigotry.

The TT has done nothing but adapt and develop from day one. What new technology is it not embracing?

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Moving away from ICE. Not a jot of interest. In fact backwards steps. It will pay back. 

TT zero was the first electric motorcycle race in the world, by far! It was persevered with for 10 years despite extremely poor entries and even poorer racing. If it was an ICE class it wouldn't have made year 2. 

Describing that as a lack of interest is almost as ridiculous as your earlier claim of the TT being bad for tourism.

Neither have any basis in logic.

• Like 1