TT 2022 ??

Barlow

1 minute ago, James Blonde said:

Google sunk cost fallacy. What you're describing there is a perfect example. 

Hence why I said close it...  It was a good idea when it opened but really doesn't add much now.

Any of the contents that are historically important could be relocated to the Manx Museum.

You haven't answered the rafting question yet by the way...

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Hence why I said close it...  It was a good idea when it opened but really doesn't add much now.

Any of the contents that are historically important could be relocated to the Manx Museum.

You haven't answered the rafting question yet by the way...

Right so we agree on something! HoM should close. 

Close the Grammar School in Castletown too. 

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Bargain! I take it all back 

Did that include the 1 month warranty.

No. Because someone at DESC signed it off as fit for purpose. 

You highlight a good point though. Government shouldn't be running or building these things. They're not capable of it. 

Get a private operator in and give them funding if they need it.

2 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

No. Because someone at DESC signed it off as fit for purpose. 

You highlight a good point though. Government shouldn't be running or building these things. They're not capable of it. 

Yes I here there's a Turkish company. All you have to do is give them a few million and four short years later you get a fully functional slide ( as long as you've paid for two that is).

They even take the old ( fully functional) ones away at no extra cost.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

This is the worst idea and you suggesting it is why I believe you have an ulterior motive.  I suspect you have a crappy business plan for bobsleighing down Snaefell or white stream rafting down the Silverburn but for some reason you can't get anyone interested in investing. 

You have even dropped your previous stance of diverting money to health and social care.  

Edited by manxman1980
Corrected some autocorrect blunders
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

This is the worst idea and you suggesting it is why I believe you have an ulterior motive.  I suspect you have a chappy business plan for bobsleighing down scafell or white stream rafting down the Silverburn but for some reason you can't get anyone interested in investing. 

You have even dropped your previous stance of diverting money to health and social care.  

Primarily the money would be far better spent in the health service and education system. 

But I've humoured your pretense that the tourist economy is in some way vital to the island's very existence (Spoiler alert: It's really not). 

The private sector brings creativity that just cannot be found in, or replicated by the public sector. That's why we end up with such naff facilities that cost the taxpayer a small fortune. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

The private sector brings creativity that just cannot be found in, or replicated by the public sector. That's why we end up with such naff facilities that cost the taxpayer a small fortune. 

Clearly the private sector can't make your ideas work commercially if they require Government funding...

If there was genuinely a market then private business would make it happen. 

Strangely enough the TT started in a similar way.  There was an opportunity and the Island exploited it and made a unique event that has lasted over a century and despite many challenges and criticism has managed to adapt and survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Clearly the private sector can't make your ideas work commercially if they require Government funding...

If there was genuinely a market then private business would make it happen. 

The private sector would prosper if Government didn't interfere in everything, and let go of some of it's pointless empires. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

TT zero was the first electric motorcycle race in the world, by far! It was persevered with for 10 years despite extremely poor entries and even poorer racing. If it was an ICE class it wouldn't have made year 2. 

Describing that as a lack of interest is almost as ridiculous as your earlier claim of the TT being bad for tourism.

Neither have any basis in logic.

First of all I apologise for my provocative post yesterday. I was having a TT downer. It seems to have provoked some discussion though.

For me, a non motorcycle racing fan - but TT fan, I feel disillusioned with it at the moment. Whilst I am not a racing fan in general we have always enjoyed the TT. I like the vibe on the Island. We like meeting new people. We do the home-stay (but don't make much money). We have made new friends that come back and we don't like to charge them to stay anymore. We watch many of the races (always the Senior). We are always here for the event and look forward to it.

However - In 2020 I was expecting to miss it terribly. I didn't. I did a bit at first and felt sad but that waned and by Senior TT Friday I felt bad that I had forgotten all about it completely. In 2021 it never entered my head. I think the reasons for my disillusion are complex but 3 things stand out

1) The obsession with lap records and the use of public money to profile banked corners. Not acceptable to me, lap records should be due to improvement, not making the course faster

2) The Steve Mercer accident. I think its totally unacceptable that someone can be maimed when they are not even racing. It makes the event look amateur and unsustainable. I'm not looking to blame anyone. It was an accident. But it shows how a 37 mile circuit on a public road is too vulnerable to disaster.

3) The Zero cancellation. I agree this is not just the TT's fault. Its the racing industries fault. If that's the backward thinking of the sport. I am not interested anymore.

If its on this year. We will be off Island.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

First of all I apologise for my provocative post yesterday. I was having a TT downer. It seems to have provoked some discussion though.

For me, a non motorcycle racing fan - but TT fan, I feel disillusioned with it at the moment. Whilst I am not a racing fan in general we have always enjoyed the TT. I like the vibe on the Island. We like meeting new people. We do the home-stay (but don't make much money). We have made new friends that come back and we don't like to charge them to stay anymore. We watch many of the races (always the Senior). We are always here for the event and look forward to it.

However - In 2020 I was expecting to miss it terribly. I didn't. I did a bit at first and felt sad but that waned and by Senior TT Friday I felt bad that I had forgotten all about it completely. In 2021 it never entered my head. I think the reasons for my disillusion are complex but 3 things stand out

1) The obsession with lap records and the use of public money to profile banked corners. Not acceptable to me, lap records should be due to improvement, not making the course faster

2) The Steve Mercer accident. I think its totally unacceptable that someone can be maimed when they are not even racing. It makes the event look amateur and unsustainable. I'm not looking to blame anyone. It was an accident. But it shows how a 37 mile circuit on a public road is too vulnerable to disaster.

3) The Zero cancellation. I agree this is not just the TT's fault. Its the racing industries fault. If that's the backward thinking of the sport. I am not interested anymore.

If its on this year. We will be off Island.

That's fair enough, I'm sure you'll come to love it again.

I think the TT zero cancellation was more to do with the motorcycle industry rather than purely racing. None of the machines that took part were ever commercially available, or ever planned to be, electric motorcycles are only just starting to be produced commercially now and have a very long way to go.

FWIW I liked the TT zero and was disappointed when it was to be shelved and didn't agree with the decision. I can see why it was made though, I think the only thing the TT did wrong in its move towards non ICE bikes was being ahead of its time.

• Like 2