TT 2022 ??

Barlow

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Oh dear,   I got shot down for repeating what a Marshall friend of mine, long-standing  Marshall, told me a while back about not a lot of interest and numbers poor at meetings when Gary Roberts was spouting on MR how great everything was.

34 minutes ago, manxlass said:

No marshals no racing. 

It will be interesting to see if people are as committed to marshalling as there were before the pandemic. 

From speaking to some Marshalls (particularly ones that do it on the mountain) many of them seemed to have been unhappy with the role and their perceived treatment by the race organisers and IOM Government. 

Some have termed it 'The Great Resignation' in the where companies are struggling to fill poorly paid roles or roles with unsociable hours - I wonder if that will carry over into this? 

Maybe not, but I'm interested to see. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It will be interesting to see if people are as committed to marshalling as there were before the pandemic. 

From speaking to some Marshalls (particularly ones that do it on the mountain) many of them seemed to have been unhappy with the role and their perceived treatment by the race organisers and IOM Government. 

Some have termed it 'The Great Resignation' in the where companies are struggling to fill poorly paid roles or roles with unsociable hours - I wonder if that will carry over into this? 

Maybe not, but I'm interested to see. 

The marshals numbers will be recalculated through the same formula that the senior CS use to calculate the value to the taxpayer of the TT and suddenly the 4 of them that actually sign up end up as 650 on the books.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Chief said:

The marshals numbers will be recalculated through the same formula that the senior CS use to calculate the value to the taxpayer of the TT and suddenly the 4 of them that actually sign up end up as 650 on the books.

Just change the rules. 550 Marshals needed? Nah! 37 will do, one every mile. It’ll be OK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There seems in reality , apart from early practices , plenty of Marshals but an issue seems to be getting them on the likes of the mountain. Ballaugh bridge , QB , Bray Hill and many other spots seem to have more than enough . Have counted 20 plus in some of these spots 

There's certainly a healthy number of them at Governors Bridge.

• Like 1

Historically there has been a problem with Marshals refusing to move to posts where there are insufficient numbers, because ‘I always marshal at x’, or ‘I want to be with my pals’, so often there are sufficient numbers, but not in the places they are needed. All the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order!

7 hours ago, manxlass said:

74D43CC2-A20C-476B-B459-6A35F3203973.thumb.png.e1ebc9d342b77498a7b9da6e87ed3021.png

In the normal course of events I would expect there to be some communication between the two people involved - e.g. in employment an employee would receive some warning before termination.

From what has been posted here, there was not even a request to delete the post. This seems to be a very dictatorial style of management - which no management at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

The marshals should get a daily allowances of at least £50 plus free travel to at least help with their expenses.

The government should cover this cost out of the huge Motorsport budget 

The TT/MGP already cost the taxpayer an awful lot of money and inconvenience imo, further costs will be then end of it, I feel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

The TT/MGP already cost the taxpayer an awful lot of money and inconvenience imo, further costs will be then end of it, I feel.

Excuse my ignorance (or forever hold it against me, but answer nevertheless)...why is marshalling on the mountain not popular?

10 minutes ago, opusManx said:

Excuse my ignorance (or forever hold it against me, but answer nevertheless)...why is marshalling on the mountain not popular?

Lots of reasons but mainly the fact they can be stuck up there unable to move for many hours in crap weather etc and with delays be a nightmare for them. Also they cant get away till roads open car passes then there stuck in a queue to get back anywhere . Not sure how people in the North manage as cant go against the one way . After the early start to be in place and mist and the likes then racing off for the day then none race days having to be used to get the programme in why would you if not very keen. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Lots of reasons but mainly the fact they can be stuck up there unable to move for many hours in crap weather etc and with delays be a nightmare for them. Also they cant get away till roads open car passes then there stuck in a queue to get back anywhere . Not sure how people in the North manage as cant go against the one way . After the early start to be in place and mist and the likes then racing off for the day then none race days having to be used to get the programme in why would you if not very keen. 

Yeah, I wouldn't do it unless I had my own enduro bike parked off to the side (if that's allowed). A potential traffic beater and worst case scenario "ejection seat" 😉

Edited by opusManx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

In the normal course of events I would expect there to be some communication between the two people involved - e.g. in employment an employee would receive some warning before termination.

From what has been posted here, there was not even a request to delete the post. This seems to be a very dictatorial style of management - which no management at all.

It will be interesting to find out how much money there is left in the TT marshals association  Bank account , I have been a life member but not seen a balance sheet for years , or indeed had any communication ,   I think some marshals should be writing  to the Mr Shimmin the liquidator  and asking for a breakdown , and the need for the marshals to come under a new management umbrella ,  only thing I can think of  is if they are seriously short of Marshals ,then the ACU can bale them out ,transportation and other   hotel  costs picked up by Government of course ,  

Time they were coming clean and explaining  to those supporting the races the need for these major changes when the planed electronic flag , fire marshals , medical centre   rapid response vehicles   new score board , chest cameras  take over of the  TT, Manx and Southern 100  by ACU events   etc  are all in the programme  of nice to haves , 

• Like 2