TT 2022 ??

Barlow

23 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will all depend on how they might define gross misconduct. They don’t seem to have asked him to take the post down. Or asked him to take any remedial action at all. Just summarily sacked him. It looks wide open for a compo claim.  

It's an amateur volunteer role. Would that be open for compensation?

O come from a family with history of volunteering at the TT and other events around the Island and I am not surprised to see that email. 

Unfortunately the race organisers seem to have completely forgotten about everyone who volunteers their time to support the TT/MGP whether that be the Marshals, First Aiders or even the Cubs/Scouts (and their parents).

Sure the TT/MGP can run without the Cubs/Scouts especially if tye scoreboards are never replaced but they will have a major problem if they continue to isolate the Marshals and First Aiders.

I stopped volunteering several years ago due to the attitude shown by the Race Organisers and unless things change I won't be going back.

Its about time that the attitudes of those paid to run these events was exposed.

Perhaps the Clerk of the Course should be expected to have spent at least sometime marshaling on the course in each sector before being given the job?

And whilst I have little time for Nick Crowe after some of his own prejudices were exposed I am glad he has stood up for the Chief Sector Marshal in question. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

O come from a family with history of volunteering at the TT and other events around the Island and I am not surprised to see that email. 

Unfortunately the race organisers seem to have completely forgotten about everyone who volunteers their time to support the TT/MGP whether that be the Marshals, First Aiders or even the Cubs/Scouts (and their parents).

Sure the TT/MGP can run without the Cubs/Scouts especially if tye scoreboards are never replaced but they will have a major problem if they continue to isolate the Marshals and First Aiders.

I stopped volunteering several years ago due to the attitude shown by the Race Organisers and unless things change I won't be going back.

Its about time that the attitudes of those paid to run these events was exposed.

Perhaps the Clerk of the Course should be expected to have spent at least sometime marshaling on the course in each sector before being given the job?

And whilst I have little time for Nick Crowe after some of his own prejudices were exposed I am glad he has stood up for the Chief Sector Marshal in question. 

It might well be indicative of the pressures of turning it into a "money-spinning" event. Sight has been lost of the fact that aspects of it have to be staffed by volunteers (without whom it can't run). And that those volunteers have experience and opinions based on that experience, with that experience and knowledge being a sight more than is possessed by those in DfE offices.

The dash for the cash by the dictators has taken priority over consideration and good manners.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Fair comment , after over 10 years of marshalling (on the mountain, practice and race days) I'm considering "giving it a swerve" .

I agree that some of those in charge would benefit from marshalling on the course ,eg  on the scaffolding (without any shelter) at "Casey's Advanced"  (bring your own ladder) in the rain mist and cold until , on one occasion  after 11.00 pm.

The EGM to liquidate  TTMA ltd and create a new TTMA ltd states under the heading "What does this mean in practice":-

"the new company and it's members will be ratified by the Department to ensure continuity and certainty replacing the previous position where wider membership restricted the company's ability to achieve its objectives and influence the strategic direction with no long-term continuity, direction or leadership guaranteed due to the existing structure and company articles."

"The EGM will be held at Keyll Darree Nobles Hospital Strang, Bradden on the 9th February 2022 at 7 pm".

I wouldn't miss it for all the world and expect it to exceed my wildest expectations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paswt said:

Fair comment , after over 10 years of marshalling (on the mountain, practice and race days) I'm considering "giving it a swerve" .

I agree that some of those in charge would benefit from marshalling on the course ,eg  on the scaffolding (without any shelter) at "Casey's Advanced"  (bring your own ladder) in the rain mist and cold until , on one occasion  after 11.00 pm.

The EGM to liquidate  TTMA ltd and create a new TTMA ltd states under the heading "What does this mean in practice":-

"the new company and it's members will be ratified by the Department to ensure continuity and certainty replacing the previous position where wider membership restricted the company's ability to achieve its objectives and influence the strategic direction with no long-term continuity, direction or leadership guaranteed due to the existing structure and company articles."

"The EGM will be held at Keyll Darree Nobles Hospital Strang, Bradden on the 9th February 2022 at 7 pm".

I wouldn't miss it for all the world and expect it to exceed my wildest expectations.

Does that mean the gov are taking over the TTMA? 

49 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Does that mean the gov are taking over the TTMA? 

If the new company, and it's members are ratified by the "Department "  then the "Department" has effective control . 

It would appear that the CoC has demonstrated his parameters of control by sacking a respected CSM because he had the temerity to have an opinion and express it which differed from his own .

Just saying:flowers:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paswt said:

If the new company, and it's members are ratified by the "Department "  then the "Department" has effective control . 

It would appear that the CoC has demonstrated his parameters of control by sacking a respected CSM because he had the temerity to have an opinion and express it which differed from his own .

I find this quite shocking to be honest, is there nothing the IOM gov does not want to get its mits into?

ETA The post by the CSM was not even that controversial.................. 

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

I question whether the Clerk of the course has the power to sack a volunteer summarily without a conversation.    How can expressing an opinion on facebook be a sackable offence and how can you sack someone from a volunteering role anyway.   This attitude smacks of high handedness at best and power crazy at worst.   Is this man capable of making cool and confident decisions when he flies of the handle when he reads a remark he takes exception to on someone’s Facebook page unless of course there is a back story.

• Like 2

If it's not going to get this CSM (or anybody else) into even more trouble, can I ask what was the gist of the "offending" comment?  (I don't do Faceache or Twatter for the very reason that posts on there very often seem to have unforeseen negative consequences for everyone concerned... )

FWIW it does seem odd to me that the Clerk of the Course can just summarily bin someone like this.  I doubt the guy in question has any comeback at all as a volunteer, but it just doesn't seem "right".  Although it looks like a perfect strategy if you want to alienate all the other marshalls!  If I were one I think I'd say "Stuff it!".

Even if what he had posted in some way went contrary to what the "official" stance was, couldn't they just have had a quiet word with him and told him he was rocking the boat? 

Maybe they already had and that was it ...

13 hours ago, paswt said:

I saw this on IOMNP Facebook page and it’s likely to create another shitstorm. We’ll done CoC, the way things going the first practice session is going to be cancelled due to lack of marshalls. When people are volunteering their time, and spending money within the local economy I think he as a stakeholder has every right to say his piece. The CoC can object, have a tantrum. If there is a major fuck up under his watch, again-like 2019 TT there may be a chance that the Marshalls are going to sing cheerio cheerio cheeriooooo. 

The reputational damage to the TT and MGP by the CoCs outburst will make its way through Facebook and the motorcycle press. Marshalls I’ll be surprised if they don’t vote with their feet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I doubt the guy in question has any comeback at all as a volunteer, but it just doesn't seem "right"

Many people would argue there is a lot that doesn't seem "right" with the TT, but they would get shot down for questioning it. 

I just see the actions of the CoC as an extension of this mentality. 

I mean, I'm probably going to get shot down for even stating this. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Do you mean apart from the Death and Misery??

That as well. Reputational meaning the island, the ones running the event and failure to get a grip of things will make the island seem amateurish. The authorities are determined to have a battle royal with its critics, and im afraid, it will lose in the long run. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1