TT 2022 ??

Barlow

3 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Most UK circuit marshals are volunteers who do it at the weekend, the FIA and F1 have a few paid marshals that go to foreign events to help out new crews but there's no way the TT are getting a couple of hundred over here for best part of 2 weeks.

I still think we (the great manx public) will get the blame for not supporting the TT by not volunteering.

Then perhaps the whole of Tynwald should get off their arses and for the hood of the island, and to set an example, they should work as a Marshall.  After all they are paid handsomely. Moorehouse and Glover are paid to prattle crap and ask daft questions. A spell up on the Mountain might do wonders to their thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, The Chief said:

Most UK circuit marshals are volunteers who do it at the weekend, the FIA and F1 have a few paid marshals that go to foreign events to help out new crews but there's no way the TT are getting a couple of hundred over here for best part of 2 weeks.

I still think we (the great manx public) will get the blame for not supporting the TT by not volunteering.

I think you'll find #racesafe charge to turn up. Please supply link of this most ! uk turn up for nowt. 

That post is a fair assessment of the way things are and if the COC or anyone else  thinks it is not fair comment then we are definitely in the freedom of speech arena.   A personal view on face book should not be censored we are not in China or North Korea the way this man has been treated is totally out of order and disgusting.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

That post is a fair assessment of the way things are and if the COC or anyone else  thinks it is not fair comment then we are definitely in the freedom of speech arena.   A personal view on face book should not be censored we are not in China or North Korea the way this man has been treated is totally out of order and disgusting.

Don't always agree with what you say, by a long way ! But yes, on this, you're spot on. I also think that Gary Thompson, and Paul Phillips run the risk of losing all racing over the mountain course this year. Unless of course this is their agenda ? 

• Like 3

Without TTMA support the DfE organisers had to tread carefully so not to upset the marshals as they held the real power.

Any future changes made to the format of road racing events are now wholly in the command of ACUE and DfE as once the directors are in place. TTMA used to vote on new directors each few years, wonder if the new company structure is so democratic!

Think its fair to say Gary Thompson's legacy has been written and its not great reading. Phillips is with out doubt a avid bike enthusiast unfortunely its cycling that he cares about.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Following a report of the sacking by 3fm Facebook is alive with indignation and it does not bode well, several Marshalls sharing the opinion of the one who got the boot so will they in turn be turned off ?  

My money is on them still doing it. They won't boycott. Just kicking up a Facebook fuss.

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Following a report of the sacking by 3fm Facebook is alive with indignation and it does not bode well, several Marshalls sharing the opinion of the one who got the boot so will they in turn be turned off ?  

From what I am hearing its the take over of the TTMA that is pissing most of the old guard off.

It is similar to what has happened to the IOM employers Federation, gov took over on the quiet and now its staffed by CS offering courses on stuff the majority of the islands building industry cant even spell, never mind want to sit through a seminar for hours.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Hardly. Despite the media coverage of this, only a relative handful of marshals have expressed their indignation on 3fm's Facebook page. I suspect, as Max has said, the ex-CSM supports the racing and wants it to go ahead and most marshals will feel exactly the same.

I have not read about the changes to MGP, as I am not particularly interested in it (despite being a bike-rider) but it seems to me that there is always great resistance to any changes in the TT or MGP from those people who want everything to stay the same, regardless of the changes in the racing, motorcycling and tourism industries. These people forget that the events exist solely to draw visitors to the Island. The Government pays for the events to do this, with our money. Maximising the appeal of the events to visitors is the primary issue; what marshals want to see (outside of those that are also visitors) and what competitors might want, ideally, are secondary considerations. Having someone in a senior position where he or she can influence others, who is critical of the organiser and the events being staged, cannot be very helpful. I suspect a judgement had to be made about what to do about this. Time will tell if it was the right one. It also seems to be a bit rich to criticise the organisers for their safety strategy when you are not the person who is paying the insurance premium or has the job of protecting the reputation of the event and the Island. 

My expectation is that this fuss will blow over before any marshals are asked to sign on. It makes no difference to me whether this CSM is reinstated or not. I spent a few years marshalling and won't be doing it again. Nothing to do with ACU or Gary Thompson or Paul Phillips. I just moved on, and so did my interest. There is more to motorcycling than going as fast as possible in (big) circles. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 2

It is because so many other of the Marshalls share his view that is the problem I was speaking to one last night who is very disenchanted with the recent decisions regarding the Manx Grand Prix.     A friend also who does homestay has decided not to do it again their guests have just cancelled due to the altered dates and format, too much hassle.