TT 2022 ??

Barlow

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

The island is up shit creek without a paddle. We can’t afford to heat swimming pools and Manx Care are being asked to cut their budget. If they trim the headcount in the DfE and especially the motorsports team, maybe they will scrap enough money to create a new scoreboard. Taking down the old scoreboard before a new replacement was sourced, and manufactured wasn’t one of Rob Callister’s brightest ideas. 

The money for 'Peggy' has to come from somewhere

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

To be fair the old scoreboard was rotten , this happened through neglect I remember the scoreboard used to be dismantled during the winter, any small repairs done and painted , this was not done perhaps because someone desired a new one…who knows.   

"Savings"...

• Like 1

Maybe about time these Marshalls actually did some Marshalling. I can’t see how it’s going to effect the races once they’ve split the 70 unnecessary Marshalls at the QB the 60 Marshalls at Ballacraine, the 130 Marshalls in Parliament sq etc etc and spread these lazy layabouts around the course. 
the problem the Marshalls have is the thought they might have to step away from their triple decked sandwiches and free souvenir programme and actually look interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Maybe about time these Marshalls actually did some Marshalling. I can’t see how it’s going to effect the races once they’ve split the 70 unnecessary Marshalls at the QB the 60 Marshalls at Ballacraine, the 130 Marshalls in Parliament sq etc etc and spread these lazy layabouts around the course. 
the problem the Marshalls have is the thought they might have to step away from their triple decked sandwiches and free souvenir programme and actually look interested. 

The problem is that the ones they've alienated are probably the ones who will actually go out to distant parts of the Course and do the job properly.  The ones who just want to pose about in hi-viz with their mates will just stay put.  The organisers will then try to convince themselves that having the right number of marshals is important and having then in the right places less so.

A lot of this is the perpetual problem that so many sections of Manx government have with volunteers.  Rather than being grateful for the extra help and using their expertise, too many in government positions see them as a threat and insist they are there to do only the most menial jobs without question.  As so often the important thing is the maintenance of official position rather than getting the actual job done.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Brilliant- there must be at least 150 between Signpost and the exit of the Nook - there’s one bloke at Governors Bridge 1 who sits on a camping chair and has a little snooze “Orange Army”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Fair point about the number of marshals at the Creg/QB/ Ballacraine/ etc.

Marshals , on the mountain , do a bit of marshalling , they have to as at times they are down to minimum numbers (1,2 or 3).

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The problem is that the ones they've alienated are probably the ones who will actually go out to distant parts of the Course and do the job properly.  The ones who just want to pose about in hi-viz with their mates will just stay put.  The organisers will then try to convince themselves that having the right number of marshals is important and having then in the right places less so.

You may well be right when you consider that in sectors 9&10 ( the mountain) are never mob handed and the Sector 10 CSM was sacked  for voicing reservations about the rescheduling of the MGP ,as now it is a requirement  adopt and applaud the views and opinions of the CoC/ACU/DfI.

The Sector 10 CSM was well thought of and many may take a similar view that "Silence means you are compliant" and not having similar aspirations to the ACU does not affect the  ability to marshal.  

Many marshals have refused to move to , and left, the mountain as a result of the organisation ensuring that they cannot exit the course until , on occasions until after 11.00 pm .It's no surprise that many already feel undervalued and taken for granted.

It's understandable, given the above that a number of marshals feel they have a natural loyalty to their CSM and fellow marshal   than  to the CoC  ACU/DfI. I may be a bit old fashioned but loyalty and respect is ,IMO, earned not demanded. 

The social media sites would appear to indicate  many marshals (Sector 9/10) have  decided to 'walk'. 

Just saying:flowers:

I'm told that the CoC is ex military , if so then it's easier to understand that he may be under the impression that the "Orange Army" can be managed in a similar way to the regular army , perhaps someone should explain that volunteers can go AWOL when they please and without them he will be unemployed .

• Like 3

I assume that the changes to the MGP were discussed with the Manx Motorcycle Club, as was the rebranding of the Classic TT to the MGP. The MMC must have agreed the changes and the reduction in racing time to be in the best interests of the event. The presence of a CSM who has his own agenda about the organisation of the event which he officiated at cannot be helpful in retention or recruitment terms. So a judgement had to be made about what was the best thing to do. Temporary irritations amongst those that put him above the interests of the event will fade and the marshals will be there. As I said before, it’s a judgement call and I suspect the CoC, who has been the most marshal/aware  CoC the events have had in many years, will have taken all this into account before acting. It’s a storm in a teacup being stirred by people who don’t really have much interest in the events anyway. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

I assume that the changes to the MGP were discussed with the Manx Motorcycle Club, as was the rebranding of the Classic TT to the MGP. The MMC must have agreed the changes and the reduction in racing time to be in the best interests of the event. The presence of a CSM who has his own agenda about the organisation of the event which he officiated at cannot be helpful in retention or recruitment terms. So a judgement had to be made about what was the best thing to do. Temporary irritations amongst those that put him above the interests of the event will fade and the marshals will be there. As I said before, it’s a judgement call and I suspect the CoC, who has been the most marshal/aware  CoC the events have had in many years, will have taken all this into account before acting. It’s a storm in a teacup being stirred by people who don’t really have much interest in the events anyway. 

Would I be right in  "assuming" you don't marshal?

To say that the CSM has his own 'agenda' is a bit strong he had an 'opinion' on this years MGP, That was all. It seems it is now obligatory  to adopt/laud  the opinions of  the CoC/ACU

I would like to see the evidence that   summarily sacking  a respected Mountain CSM will be helpful in the retention and  recruitment of  marshals on the mountain , I'll grant you it's , at best, an opinion ,  just not one I share.

I would venture to suggest that Mr Taubman was the most 'marshal aware' CoC . 

To claim that It's being 'stirred up by those who don't have much interest'  in TT/MGP is demonstrably  false .

Hope this helps :flowers:

Edited by paswt
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, paswt said:

To say that the CSM has his own 'agenda' is a bit strong he had an 'opinion' on this years MGP, That was all. It seems it is now obligatory  to adopt/laud  the opinions of  the CoC/ACU

Is that the case? Was the post Nick Crowe posted the only one? That seemed to be mild and about the restructure but the CoC seemed to refer to him opposing safety measures.