TT 2022 ??

Barlow

It’s rather strange that the Constabulary takes no time at all to issue certificates and take photographs of the smiling Chief Constable shaking hands of Officers who have done their job, but a memorial to an Officer killed on duty takes since 1976 and a long campaign by the family. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

By the way, that was from the Tweetbeat page of the IOM police. I notice that it states the tragic incident occurred during the MGP Junior Race. However, the Wiki page list of Isle of Man TT Mountain Course Fatalities records it as occurring during the Senior Race. Does anyone know which one is correct? 

7th September 1976 was a Tuesday.  I think back in those days the two MGP race days were Tuesday and Thursday, with the smaller engine classes run on Tuesday and the larger on Thursdays, so most likely the fatality occurred during the Junior race.  This site - http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/update.php?db=ms&y=2006&m=4 - says it was the Junior, so it seems the Wiki page may be incorrect.  

2 hours ago, joebean said:

It’s rather strange that the Constabulary takes no time at all to issue certificates and take photographs of the smiling Chief Constable shaking hands of Officers who have done their job, but a memorial to an Officer killed on duty takes since 1976 and a long campaign by the family. 

According to the FB Constabulary Historian page, someone posted that PC Hamer's widow has not visited the island since shortly after the tragic event occurred, so am not too sure if there was a long campaign by the family.  Could they not have erected a memorial themselves, had they so wished?   

Suggesting that the current chief constable is somehow responsible for the delay is perhaps disingenuous.  What about the other chief constables in the intervening 46 years?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mysteron said:

According to the FB Constabulary Historian page, someone posted that PC Hamer's widow has not visited the island since shortly after the tragic event occurred, so am not too sure if there was a long campaign by the family.  Could they not have erected a memorial themselves, had they so wished?   

Suggesting that the current chief constable is somehow responsible for the delay is perhaps disingenuous.  What about the other chief constables in the intervening 46 years?   

I didn’t identify the current incumbent specifically, but he is rather fond of Constabulary self-congratulation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

On BBC John McGuinness has hinted he will retire after Isle of Man TT 2022. How old is he now I thought there was an age limit on competitors ?.

John received his GONG  today at Windsor castle   so as a respectable member of the Order of the British Empire  he is entitled to retire , he will go down in the history books as one of the all time TT greats he must be in his 50's now , but still can show the young guns a clean pair of heels , 

he has done much for Honda ,and taken over where Joey left  off  ,

good luck to him , I bet he is enjoying himself somewhere in London tonight ! and possibly  ex Honda UK boss Bob Mc Millan and some of his old team   mates will have joined him  and his celebration , 

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

he has done much for Honda ,and taken over where Joey left  off  ,

He has done so much for Honda including riding their bikes this year as a pay off for not pursuing the damages and negligence claim against them for his injuries caused by mechanical failure- but that doesn’t fit the narrative 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

On BBC John McGuinness has hinted he will retire after Isle of Man TT 2022. How old is he now I thought there was an age limit on competitors ?.

Wiki says he is 49 (am I the only person who knows how to use google?).  The regulations say that:

There is a maximum age limit of 40 years of age for a Newcomer competitor applying for an Entry to the Isle of Man TT Races. However, competitors aged over 40 years of age may be accepted at the discretion of the Clerk of the Course. 

But it seems that once you're accepted you can go on forever.

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

John received his GONG  today at Windsor castle   so as a respectable member of the Order of the British Empire etc

good luck to him , I bet he is enjoying himself somewhere in London tonight ! and possibly  ex Honda UK boss Bob Mc Millan and some of his old team   mates will have joined him  and his celebration , 

Like on his stag do when he fucked all the Sulby Glens vegetables down the road.

• Haha 1