TT 2022 ??

Barlow

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think we are agreeing really. That's what I meant to say....sort of. Perhaps they are mutually beneficial,  but rubbish on their own.

We're not really agreeing. I'd take the radio on its own over the racing on its own anyday, or even combined. Watching the racing is too dangerous. 

£14.99 is ridiculously cheap.

But as has already been said, how can you possibly do live TV coverage of TT races and practices?  Unless there are about 100+ cameras around the course, I can't see many people bothering to follow it.  On radio you can just about get away with three or four commentary points as radio* is a verbal medium, but with a visual medium I don't understand how it can be done.

And if it can be done, there's no way on earth that a subs fee of £14.99 could ever fund the necessary technology and manpower.

*Isn't that one of the reasons so many people liked Roy Moore?  (Although I can't stand his commentary... ) People could just listen to him waffle on and reminisce even when nothing was happening in front of him.  People don't have that tolerance on TV.

1 minute ago, Ghost Ship said:

£14.99 is ridiculously cheap.

But as has already been said, how can you possibly do live TV coverage of TT races and practices?  Unless there are about 100+ cameras around the course, I can't see many people bothering to follow it.  On radio you can just about get away with three or four commentary points as radio* is a verbal medium, but with a visual medium I don't understand how it can be done.

And if it can be done, there's no way on earth that a subs fee of £14.99 could ever fund the necessary technology and manpower.

Yes £14.99 does seem cheap. But I think we need to see what we get this year before coming to a definitive answer. If it proves itself then people I’m sure will be prepared to pay more in subsequent years.

If they sell 50k subs that brings* in £750k.  Is that enough to provide the service?  They might be content to make a loss in year one, but they won't be able to recover it for another year, will they?

*I have no idea if 50,000 susbscribers is a reasonable or achievable number, and I've no idea what it would cost to provide coverage.  I've heard that coverage would be 20 or so cameras around the course and a couple of helicopters.  I have absolutely no idea what that would cost

Also, I'd have thought that coverage would be so complicated trying to cover a live time trial that co-ordinating the camera shots meaningfully would be an almost impossible task.  It would require infallible split second timing by the director.

5 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

If they sell 50k subs that brings* in £750k.  Is that enough to provide the service?  They might be content to make a loss in year one, but they won't be able to recover it for another year, will they?

*I have no idea if 50,000 susbscribers is a reasonable or achievable number, and I've no idea what it would cost to provide coverage.  I've heard that coverage would be 20 or so cameras around the course and a couple of helicopters.  I have absolutely no idea what that would cost

Also, I'd have thought that coverage would be so complicated trying to cover a live time trial that co-ordinating the camera shots meaningfully would be an almost impossible task.  It would require infallible split second timing by the director.

And dont forget the advertising.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

The Manx Grand Prix had a fair crack at it by livestreaming their races onto their own site and Facebook. Not perfect and working within restrictions with all amateur manpower, it proved that it can be done and reasonably cost effectively. The first year they had over 1m people tuned in around the world at some points. Obviously some just clicked onto the FB post which was shared amongst friends and watched a few minutes or even seconds. I'm sure the TT coverage will be something special.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If commercial stations like Energy are providing coverage then why are Manx Radio continuing with it? 

Surely they should be sticking to their basic news and current affairs remit? Treasury should step in. 

That’s a bit like saying why should the BBC continue provide news coverage when Sky News are doing it.