TT 2022 ??

Barlow

On 2/19/2022 at 8:59 PM, 0bserver said:

I'm sure the TT coverage will be something very expensive to the GMT. 

Well I've got my doubts about the proposed coverage (eg Jennie Gow - 😐) but most other people on here seem to think it's a good idea - and I can sort of see what they mean.  (eg as a Manx ex-pat in the UK and a TT fan I've always been pleasantly surprised by the popularity of the ITV4 coverage - I know loads of people, and they're not necessarily 'bike fans, who watch it).

But if it's a good idea it shouldn't cost the GMP anything, should it?  The Premier League, F1, the World Cup and the Olympics (to name just a few sporting events*) make hundreds of millions if not billions from selling the TV rights to their events, and from advertising.

Why should the TT be any different in that respect?  (I can understand that the first year might be a leap into the dark, but if the coverage turns out to be a success, the IoM Govt needs to ensure that the GMP gets its fair share of that success in future years and is also able to claw back any initial losses from the early years).

Or have I lived away from the IoM for too long to understand how things work?  (Or don't work).

*[Edit:  Although I think some of those sporting events have compromised themselves to some extent in order to keep the great TV gods satisfied.  I'm not convinced that the current TT format is particularly TV friendly in terms of timing and scheduling etc]

Edited by Ghost Ship

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

According to the NPM this morning, Duke Marketing has pulled plans for its TT pop up in Peel. They are saying that Government are being unhelpful. I think a lot of people were against it, but it would be interesting to find out the real reason as both Peel MHKs are COMIN members so would have been in favour, or perhaps the Starship Enterprise threw a spanner in the works?

On the other hand it did allow Manx Radio to use the headline:

Plans for pop-up on Peel Promenade pulled

So it's not all lost. (I'd have used "Plans for pop-up pods on Peel Prom pulled" myself, but you can't get the staff).

Also it seems a bit odd for Duke to be complaining about the same people who are still working with (and I suspect subsidising) him on the old Prison site.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

...Should the Wimbledon tennis tournament be just generating a profit for those people who live in that particular part of London?

As somebody has already pointed out, the council tax payers of Wimbledon (and their govt representatives) don't own the media rights to "The Championships" - they're owned (I presume) by the AELTC, and they make megabucks from selling the rights all around the world.

(And lots of Wimbledon residents do actually supplement their incomes during the fortnight ... )

5 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Bloody typical. The Isle of man, where you just can't :( .

Hang on, we don't know the who, why and whats about the withdrawal.

Were there sensible objections? Did Peel Comms withdraw their support? Did the Govt indicate they would not support it?

Or  did the proposer do their sums again and decide it was not financially viable and looked for any excuse?

Apparently Peel Comms have dismantled the Skate Park, letter in last weeks paper, did they jump the gun? Is it going to cost ratepayers to replace it now?

Edited by Kopek

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

On the other hand it did allow Manx Radio to use the headline:

Plans for pop-up on Peel Promenade pulled

So it's not all lost. (I'd have used "Plans for pop-up pods on Peel Prom pulled" myself, but you can't get the staff).

Also it seems a bit odd for Duke to be complaining about the same people who are still working with (and I suspect subsidising) him on the old Prison site.

Deflection Roger?

The tt pods on the prison site do not make sense financially from a private enterprise point of view

Read into that what you will.................... 

Edited by Boris Johnson

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The way the waves were coming over that part of the bay makes you wonder how long metal buildings would last with the spray.    The objections were varied but raw sewerage was mentioned.

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Raw sewage.

Sewerage is the conveyance (pipes, pumps etc) of SEWAGE.

Unless there were pumps being washed onto the prom, it was sewage....NOT SEWERAGE. 

• Sad 1