Census 2021

Non-Believer

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s at least 2 blocks of flats with 15/20 people in each where the census forms are left in big piles & ignored by the occupiers. A number of them don’t speak English as first language & will struggle to complete & the others are people who won’t be bothered, have no money as on benefits so fines are pointless.

You can do the census in russian, polish, bulgarian and mandarin. 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was easy. There isn’t an issue getting a paper form, and you’ve got until 14 June. 

The problem is Twitterati and FB Karen’s whingeing.

No , the problem is Government coming up with a system for everyone to fill the form in on line and for a great many its failed dismally. Be interesting to know how many forms have or are being sent out . And what about Foxdale ? If stories are to be believed asking people to go to the post office or the Baltic pub to get there form says it all as to the failure of this census . 

This is basic programming stuff a few forms chucking up data to a database. I'm giving up and not wasting my night after spending 10 minutes adding one name.

If they didn't think ahead to plan on increased server load and implement a solution then I can't be arsed.

I have a decent internet connection:

Screenshot-2021-05-30-at-20-03-15.png

But I can't even add a fucking name to a simple form:

Screenshot-2021-05-30-at-19-54-52.png

And then it times out and dies:

Screenshot-2021-05-30-at-20-01-13.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It's falling over terribly, works maybe 1 in every 5 goes.

It'll simply not be scaled right for everyone doing it on the Sunday night.

I mean, sitting round the table when you're planning this, how hard can it be to point out that there may be some extra load. So shall we implement a plan to do some simple load balancing to handle 40,000 households? It's not hard.

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It's falling over terribly, works maybe 1 in every 5 goes.

It'll simply not be scaled right for everyone doing it on the Sunday night.

But many , me included did it last week so its just as well lots did or as rightly you say it would have been much worse than it seemingly is. Surely the muppets in charge took into consideration peak usage over this weekend . Clearly not it would seem . Also not sure doing it over a bank holiday was a clever idea either. Unless it was to benefit many with overtime working .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

I mean, sitting round the table when you're planning this, how hard can it be to point out that there may be some extra load. So shall we implement a plan to do some simple load balancing to handle 40,000 households? It's not hard.

It looks like it's just tacked on to the rest of Online Services, and the whole thing is struggling.

That's probably not built for huge scale, and adapting it was seen as too much effort/cost/time.

21 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It looks like it's just tacked on to the rest of Online Services, and the whole thing is struggling.

That's probably not built for huge scale, and adapting it was seen as too much effort/cost/time.

Yeah looks that way. It should have been spun up seperately with the correct requirements. It's just laziness that will probably cost them more money/time in administering offline forms, along with wasting the users time trying to fill it in and now I've given up I'll have to dick around trying to get a paper version.

I requested paper copy week ending 22nd May after being unable to create my census "account" online, still waiting for that paper copy now, it's a public holiday tomorrow so it won't be here until at least Tuesday. Just as well we've got until the 14th....

45 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s at least 2 blocks of flats with 15/20 people in each where the census forms are left in big piles & ignored by the occupiers. A number of them don’t speak English as first language & will struggle to complete & the others are people who won’t be bothered, have no money as on benefits so fines are pointless.

Blimey. You sound like The Daily Express.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1