Census 2021

Non-Believer

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

A cynic may think that the system has been setup deliberately to fail so that they can say the results cant be trusted.....................

Well according to @John Wrightit works perfectly and everyone having an issue of any sort is a Karen, so apparently the results should be fine.

18 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Well according to @John Wrightit works perfectly and everyone having an issue of any sort is a Karen, so apparently the results should be fine.

That’s not what I said. 

Lots of people historically had issues with paper censuses. Illiteracy rates were much higher and just as much a problem.

The letter was clear we had until 14/6. It’s hardly new. We’ve been having decennial and mid point censuses all our lives.

The difference is, instead of getting on with it, a few are publicly moaning and whingeing vociferously on social media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s not what I said. 

Lots of people historically had issues with paper censuses. Illiteracy rates were much higher and just as much a problem.

The letter was clear we had until 14/6. It’s hardly new. We’ve been having decennial and mid point censuses all our lives.

The difference is, instead of getting on with it, a few are publicly moaning and whingeing vociferously on social media.

Fact is it is a massive cockup and an awful lot of people are having significant issues.

You can't "get on with it" if the phones don't work, the site is down, you have been sent the wrong code, your post code is wrong, you have two codes, or you haven't been contacted at all.

My Mum breezed hers in 10 minutes.  Everything was correct and she caught it when the site was running.  Elderly lady, not very computer literate.

My brother had a nightmare, several phone calls over a number of days and hours on line for him and his family.

Six figure salary as an IT Manager.  He isn't an idiot and is technically very capable (although not really "hands on" these days)

Mum doesn't suddenly assume he should have cracked on or is a Karen.  She understands that she was provided with the correct tools to complete the task and he wasn't.

Lots of people will have just given up.

Its crap

People should be fired  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fucking hell Trmpton. Thought you'd gone away to cheer yourself up. Sort yourself out ffs.

I your case I suspect it's user error as much as anything, can't answer questions if you can't see cos of the blood boiling in your eyes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fucking hell Trmpton. Thought you'd gone away to cheer yourself up. Sort yourself out ffs.

I your case I suspect it's user error as much as anything, can't answer questions if you can't see cos of the blood boiling in your eyes.

Nope.

Come away to catch up with some friends but mainly to deal with some seriously depressing family business that should have been done months ago if we had decent people in charge.  Unfortunately it had been hanging over us for months.

Their continuous incompetence is really winding me up.

Literally every dealing I have with any government department (tax office exluded) is cock up after cock up and i don't want them to keep getting away with it.  The census is just the latest display of total incompetence

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had no trouble whatsoever, although I did it a few days ago when things were probably quieter. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the problems are more MT Broadband based than anything? Then again, is the government's server capable of handling all those trying to input their details at once?

Anyway, electronic voting next?

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Fact is it is a massive cockup and an awful lot of people are having significant issues.

You can't "get on with it" if the phones don't work, the site is down, you have been sent the wrong code, your post code is wrong, you have two codes, or you haven't been contacted at all.

My Mum breezed hers in 10 minutes.  Everything was correct and she caught it when the site was running.  Elderly lady, not very computer literate.

My brother had a nightmare, several phone calls over a number of days and hours on line for him and his family.

Six figure salary as an IT Manager.  He isn't an idiot and is technically very capable (although not really "hands on" these days)

Mum doesn't suddenly assume he should have cracked on or is a Karen.  She understands that she was provided with the correct tools to complete the task and he wasn't.

Lots of people will have just given up.

Its crap

People should be fired  

‘People should be fired’

That statement could be applied to most of IOMG, but most of those screwing up, get promoted or sideward promotion. Unless something borders on criminal, are they actually fired.

The good people of Peel could however not re-elect Ray Harmer in September, for his screw up as Mininster of the Department of Incompetence and then the Minister of Policy and Reform, which oversaw the Census fcuk up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well to be fair, who could have expected that everyone would try to fill in forms that everyone had to fill in?  

It's worth pointing out that Censuses are really important because they force governments to encounter reality.  Rather than thinking they know what the country is like they are forced to go out and ask questions and count.  And it usually ends in them realising they have got some things wrong - no matter how carefully they have extrapolated from past data or other sources of information.

That is why the best way of doing them is still having an enumerator go round from door to door and try to speak to people in person.  They can sort our queries for the less able, the illiterate, the confused, the people with complicated households or circumstances that don't match the neat little boxes that have been designed.  They can encourage the reluctant or lazy and they can spot which properties are genuinely unused.. 

And their presence means that people are less likely to lie, at least in an obvious manner.   For all we know TDDB isn't really part of a household of five, he's a teenager in a bedsit.  Or a slum landlord with 27 Romanians in the basement.  Or an actual dog.  (On the internet no one knows you're a dog).

Of course encountering reality is that last thing that some governments want to do - all those PR people are basically employed to make their employers feel good, not to fool the public.

Yes. But. The result depends on the questions and can be modified and altered until the type of question tends to give the answer the govt. wants  and hides the important questions such as length of time you have had to wait for surgical intervention, estimated amount of surplus cash each week? Have you damaged your vehicle because of road surface, have you had difficulty accessing covid testing after a journey? I'm sure the clever ones amongst you can think of many more meaningful questions which will enable govt. to provide for the people who elected it instead of dealing in obfuscation, mismanagement and ridiculous secrecy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I had no trouble whatsoever, although I did it a few days ago when things were probably quieter. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the problems are more MT Broadband based than anything? Then again, is the government's server capable of handling all those trying to input their details at once?

Anyway, electronic voting next?

The problem has essentially been the server falling over when trying to service the demand from everyone at once.

You could almost feel it creaking, some pages would load much more quickly than others, but generally, you'd have to retry anything for up to 5 times to get to the next page each time. That was last night when I got mine in anyway.

My guess is they just tacked it on to the server running the rest of Online Services and hoped that'd be good enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm not sure why.  It's pretty simple to complete.  I'm not sure it could have been made much easier as such.

You'll always get people moaning.  Same people will be moaning about completing a paper version.

have you told your kids you marked them down as transexuals yet ?