Census 2021

Non-Believer

Original article says that 721 moved here between March - December 2020, though they might be Skelly-type figures. I'm going to go for population stable at around 84000.

• Like 1

"The census is a national survey of people and households in the Isle of Man and is needed to provide key information which is not available from any other source. For example, Government will use the information for planning purposes, to assess whether there are enough schools, hospital and maternity facilities etc.

Businesses use the census results when they are considering whether or not to establish a presence in the Island and, if so, where to site new factories, offices and shops. Local authorities also need to know how many pople live in their area in order to optimise the services they provide."

Any census in May this year will only likely provide skewed information: potentially many hundreds of students here (otherwise in UK), numerous oldies residing here temporarily with relatives to avoid UK and other lockdown dangers, furloughed UK staff staying home on island with mum and dad, numerous business types normally away in other countries, people who normally travel a lot or spend months living away etc. etc.

I can see the figure this year being artificially closer to 86k.

Just now, Declan said:

I thought that wasn't allowed - no job or mortgage here = non-resident.

That's not the case. We've imported thousands of oldies here with neither. Anyone with permission to reside in the UK can live here - whether you pay tax here or in the UK.

Don't get me started on a well overdue residency act 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That's not the case. We've imported thousands of oldies here with neither. Anyone with permission to reside in the UK can live here - whether you pay tax here or in the UK.

But under the border restrictions you’re supposed to have a job contract or a tenancy or own a house, unless you were tax resident before 27/3/20 or a student.

That precludes, in theory, adult children, working in UK. returning just because they’re on furlough.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I realise that's the case normally, but during lockdown there's a restriction - https://covid19.gov.im/travel-borders/

Quite a callous one if you ask me. But that's Howard!

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But under the border restrictions you’re supposed to have a job contract or a tenancy or own a house, unless you were tax resident before 27/3/20 or a student.

That precludes, in theory, adult children, working in UK. returning just because they’re on furlough.

There are 5000 rentals in IOM, I'm pretty sure people not resident owning some of these have used that fact to their advantage.

ETA: It will be interesting to compare vaccine figures with the census results at the end of the year.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

ETA: It will be interesting to compare vaccine figures with the census results at the end of the year.

Do you really think they will be able to compare the respective databases given that they cannot even eliminate duplication of letters? 

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Any census in May this year will only likely provide skewed information: potentially many hundreds of students here (otherwise in UK), numerous oldies residing here temporarily with relatives to avoid UK and other lockdown dangers, furloughed UK staff staying home on island with mum and dad, numerous business types normally away in other countries, people who normally travel a lot or spend months living away etc. etc.

Actually most of these people (students, people working away from home) should be included in the census anyway.  Censuses are supposed to include all those ordinarily resident in an area.  This is why there are different totals for population depending on which definition is used:

Resident population: Isle of Man residents present on Census Night plus residents absent from the Island on Census Night

Census population: Resident population plus visitors in the Island on Census Night

De Facto population: Residents present on Census Night plus visitors on the Island on Census Night

Calculated as follows (see p 14):

Resident population 83,314

Residents absent 6,039

Residents present 77,275

Visitors 1,285

De facto population 78,560

Census population 84,599

Note that it is the resident population that is normally quoted and that it was much higher than the actual number on the Island - 7% of residents weren't there and there weren't that many visitors (it was 23 April and being on a Sunday there will have been few short-term business visitors).

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

"The census is a national survey of people and households in the Isle of Man and is needed to provide key information which is not available from any other source. For example, Government will use the information for planning purposes, to assess whether there are enough schools, hospital and maternity facilities etc.

Businesses use the census results when they are considering whether or not to establish a presence in the Island and, if so, where to site new factories, offices and shops. Local authorities also need to know how many pople live in their area in order to optimise the services they provide."

I can see the figure this year being artificially closer to 86k.

I think that your points are valid and will push the figure upwards, but will be tempered by the exodus of many transient EU types who left because of Brexit and Covid. I will take a stab at 84K.

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Any early guesses on our current population ? I'll go for 84500 k . 

Paper article this week stated new residents near 800 added  since March 2020   That’s near 3 times the usual. 
going to be expensive for NHS as I would put money on it being aged or older residents. 

someone pulled the plug, we are going to be drained. 

watching the vaccine numbers with interest as that will be a reality show. 

• Like 1