Census 2021

Non-Believer

50 minutes ago, trmpton said:

But doing it early is stupid.  It is a snapshot in time, one night only.

Unlikely but possible.  You get admitted to hospital  or end up in the Jurby Hilton or die between doing the census and census day.

You will bugger the info up.

They really haven't stressed anywhere that I can see that it meant to be done on a certain date.

They state that you can complete it early providing the info will be the same on the 30th May. 

I just did it, not too much trouble but you need to think about it and click on the links unprompted!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Unlikely but possible.  You get admitted to hospital  or end up in the Jurby Hilton or die between doing the census and census day.

They really haven't stressed anywhere that I can see that it meant to be done on a certain date.

Likewise getting squashed by a bus the day after would similarly skew the results.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Likewise getting squashed by a bus the day after would similarly skew the results.

@trpmton  you'd be resident for the next 5 year's on paper but worm food in reality.

Edited by finlo

7 hours ago, Fluffy123 said:

Sending out a 6 or 8 page document to fill in to every house is incredibly expensive and bad for the environment. You can request a form or even do the census over the phone. My MHK has offered to drop forms to people who aren’t online. I think it’s smart and ecologically and cost effective. 

Your lucky that your MHK wants to drop off forms, but there again it’s coming up to the general election. The Peoples Prince?

I have HRH The Chief Minister and the useless Shimmins as mine. Shimmins won’t answer his phone for you and only wishes to speak via text. I’d rather spoil my ballot paper than vote. 

Perhaps the MHKs can come around with mobile 4g modems and laptops and sit with people and conduct the census! It’s not expensive after all we pay the useless fcuks more money than most have ever seen in their lives!

4 hours ago, trmpton said:

Well, unless I peg it between now and midnight tomorrow, my name, date of birth, residency, nationality, language, education, qualifications, occupation situation, etc. are not going to change. If they had sent me a Paper copy to fill in, I would still have done most of it in advance, but in half the time or less. I will go in again tomorrow, just to check. However, if it crashes, just once, I will give up. 

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

They state that you can complete it early providing the info will be the same on the 30th May. 

I just did it, not too much trouble but you need to think about it and click on the links unprompted!

Yes you are correct, but we are not living in a perfect world. For starters I would imagine you are fairly intelligent and financially comfortable and have facilities like a computer, laptop and decent broadband. Apparently some of the questions asked are a lot more intrusive than in the past. With a computer it is doubtful if you refuse to answer it will let carry on to the next page or submit the document until every question is answered. At least with a paper document people can if they desire refuse to disclose information. - eg ethnicity, sexual orientation etc. It’s worth noting that the recent Tynpotwald report on Poverty on the island makes a big mention as to digital exclusion - in other words people can’t afford computers, laptops, or broadband. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Well, unless I peg it between now and midnight tomorrow, my name, date of birth, residency, nationality, language, education, qualifications, occupation situation, etc. are not going to change. If they had sent me a Paper copy to fill in, I would still have done most of it in advance, but in half the time or less. I will go in again tomorrow, just to check. However, if it crashes, just once, I will give up. 

It’s bound to crash. After all our civil service and Government are world beaters in IT. 

Edited by 2112

6 hours ago, Cambon said:

I spent 30 minutes yesterday afternoon trying to put my details in. It crashed three times. It required me to enter yes or no to all the qualification questions instead of rather than default blank ones to "N". It did not cater for professional certifications, which are most people's qualifications these days. 

It is a mess. Poorly written. Poorly tested. 

We haven’t received a letter yet with the code to enter online. Pennywise and pound foolish as with everything that the muppet show touches. The Seagull has a urgent question about the census tabled for the HOKs on Tuesday. Harmer is in charge, hardly a brilliant track record. 

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s bound to crash. After all our civil service and Government are world beaters in IT. 

I know. It annoys the hell out of many IT companies, many who have vast experience and talented staff, who could do a much better job for the Island than the staff the government have. Unfortunately, there is one civil servent who is a kind of gate keeper. He is one of the biggest problems. 

Edited by Cambon

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Your lucky that your MHK wants to drop off forms, but there again it’s coming up to the general election. The Peoples Prince?

I have HRH The Chief Minister and the useless Shimmins as mine. Shimmins won’t answer his phone for you and only wishes to speak via text. I’d rather spoil my ballot paper than vote. 

Perhaps the MHKs can come around with mobile 4g modems and laptops and sit with people and conduct the census! It’s not expensive after all we pay the useless fcuks more money than most have ever seen in their lives!

You can ring and do it over the phone. 

I completed it yesterday evening and proved to myself how uninteresting my wife and I are. Live here and nowhere else; married; heterosexual; male and female and don't identify as anything else; went to school and got qualifications and don't rely on anyone else. Statistical non-events, both of us. I suspect that as we want and require little from Government, apart from them to take as little of our money as possible and spend what they do take wisely, we will soon be forgotten about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2