Census 2021

Non-Believer

It's not that unsurprising that there's an IT overload when everyone tries to access the census at once. Just give up and try later.  Wish they could have ring-fenced it somehow so it didn't affect the rest of Govt's IT provision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

It's not that unsurprising that there's an IT overload when everyone tries to access the census at once. Just give up and try later.  Wish they could have ring-fenced it somehow so it didn't affect the rest of Govt's IT provision. 

It is very surprising that in 2021 a purpose built system can't cope with what must only be a few hundred people at a time trying to access it.

They knew there would be demand and they have screwed up- again

When we did get ours done our "reference number" was less than 800, so that would suggest it was creaking and groaning and only a few hundred people had managed to complete it.

I predict a total implosion by Sunday and that they will have to extend it or redo it.

Must have really sneaked up on them, what with only knowing it was coming for a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Got my letter fifteen minutes ago. Logged in and completed the questions in under ten minutes.  No fuss, no drama, no breakdowns.

Did mine earlier. Was expecting a nightmare but it went surprisingly well.

Certainly better than trying to register my Go rail card. After putting in the card number and post code the address they’d already filled in for me wouldn’t validate on their own form. 

When I eventually completed it the information I was hoping to see want currently available and I should call in to the welcome centre. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, trmpton said:

When we did get ours done our "reference number" was less than 800, so that would suggest it was creaking and groaning and only a few hundred people had managed to complete it.

Just done mine and had a reference number in the low five hundreds. Is that less than yours which would indicate that the reference numbers aren't indicative of returns received.

Done mine but not too impressed by layout and lack of explanation if you enter something wrongly, ie post code entered without gap between each group of three. Response, 'wrongly entered'.

But, but, was it the unique ref. or was it the postcode? Enter ref on top right of letter..........no it isn't it's in the middle! So, after trying to decide which was the right unique code, and then entering pc again still wrong, soooo, still no explanation.

Eventually hit upon correct combination! Unique code from MIDDLE of letter and post code with gap in middle. Phew.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Enter ref on top right of letter..........no it isn't it's in the middle!

Didn't read the bit about it being top right on the letter.... The code to use was pretty obvious as it was printed in bold 'Your unique 10-digit code:' followed by the code and postcodes are always written with a space between the outward code and the inward code

Edited by kevster
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So why indicate that it's,'top right hand side'? Especially as there is a code printed there?

Post codes are not always written with a space, in my experience.

Don't intend to be awkward or argumentative, just making a point.

Having the wrong location of the code could be confusing for some - maybe the layout of the letter was changed before release and the change not passed onto the site developers. I've known such things happen before.

Since their trial in 1959 in Norwich, the correct format has always been Outward code - space - Inward code so that the two parts can be differentiated, for example is L121A to be read as L1 21A, or L12 1A ?

As with other things, people don't always follow the official style rules 

Edited by kevster

Got the letter today completed it in a few moments. Difficult to see what the fuss is about. Although some of the questions about work location is a bit old fashioned. Sometimes I'm at home; sometimes in the office - I'm not sure the new normal working patterns will be brought out by the questions.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

At the end of the letter it advises that the system being used "meets industry standards such as ISO 270001" which, of course, doesn't exist. If you're going to claim adherence to a standard, at least put the right number of zeros in it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

At the end of the letter it advises that the system being used "meets industry standards such as ISO 270001" which, of course, doesn't exist. If you're going to claim adherence to a standard, at least put the right number of zeros in it.

And I thought I was the only one that had picked up on that.