Offshore processing for UK's immigrants under consideration.ll

madmanxpilot

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Make no mistake though, if Westminister did decide to send illegal asylum seekers here, 

🤦‍♀️ Asylum seekers are NOT illegal. They'd only be illegal if they went through the system, were found to not have a legitimate claim, then went "underground" instead of leaving.

They wouldn't be sending us failed claimants, they'd just cut to the chase and deport them to their country of origin.

• Like 4

There's money to be made for local businesses providing meals and services. Didn't someone provide the Knockaloe prisoners three meals a day for a penny each, creating a family fortune? 

Mind you, the abattoir would be working overtime keeping up with the Halal meat orders.  

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Bloody hell. They’ve only just got rid of the post holes from the last lot.

Been to Ramsey lately? Post holes were still there when I last looked.

28 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

So the Tories want to build concentration camps now.

Cant wait to see what they do next.

I believe these plans are simply moving the existing detention centre facilities offshore. Those same immigration detention facilities which were primarily opened under the UK Labour government - Yarls Wood (2001), Oakington (2000), Harmondsworth (2001) etc. 

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just had Gibraltar chief minister on Bbc saying reports on country being used for asylum seekers are wrong & unworkable, also mentioned statements from IOM government saying they know nothing about any proposed plans 

What is most disturbing is that a UK government minister thinks that they can make unilateral pronouncements without consulting IoMG and other jurisdictions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What is most disturbing is that a UK government minister thinks that they can make unilateral pronouncements without consulting IoMG and other jurisdictions. 

Don’t think a minister has, looks like it’s being leaked by Whitehall to maybe test reactions 

28 minutes ago, manxst said:

I believe these plans are simply moving the existing detention centre facilities offshore. Those same immigration detention facilities which were primarily opened under the UK Labour government - Yarls Wood (2001), Oakington (2000), Harmondsworth (2001) etc. 

Presumably facilities such as this would have to be purpose built. If it was decided we didn't want such a facility, all government would have to do is insist DoI was in charge of construction. It would effectively be kicked down the road for years and cost the UK government a fortune.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think it's important to distinguish what minister may actually be pronouncing, or even just discussing, from "groundless media speculation."

Edited by Yibble

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just had Gibraltar chief minister on Bbc saying reports on country being used for asylum seekers are wrong & unworkable, also mentioned statements from IOM government saying they know nothing about any proposed plans 

The fact that Gibraltar is being mentioned as a possible option tells you everything you need to know about the plausibility of this idea.  Where should we put migrants to prevent them escaping? Let's go for for a tiny, overcrowded place that is famous for smuggling.

You know this is bullshit, I know this is bullshit, the journalist writing knows it is bullshit, the person at the Home Office who fed them the story know it is bullshit.  The whole thing is entirely designed to convince the elderly racists who they see as making up the Mail readership that they are Being Nasty to Brown People.

What gets me about this sort of garbage is: why don't the readers never realise the contempt that those who produce this rubbish clearly hold them in.  That they clearly think you are not just deeply unpleasant, but also really stupid.  Why do people support papers and politicians who obviously despise them?

• Like 5