Offshore processing for UK's immigrants under consideration.ll

madmanxpilot

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this in light of the fact that 24,000 migrants have made the Channel Crossing this year. 

Also the announcement that they may well be then shipped out and processed in Albania at a cost of £000s per person. 

So, there is a massive employment shortage in the UK.  Mainly the lower skilled areas.  There are loads of unemployed desperate people trying to get into the UK to escape their 'shithole countries'. 

Personally I'd welcome them if they can drive a truck or work at a care home etc.  What am I missing? 

It's a pretty awful situation they're in and I'm in no doubt that if I was from one of the usual suspect countries, I'd be either dead or trying to make the journey to somewhere less hellish myself.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Personally I'd welcome them if they can drive a truck or work at a care home etc.  What am I missing? 

It's a pretty awful situation they're in and I'm in no doubt that if I was from one of the usual suspect countries, I'd be either dead or trying to make the journey to somewhere less hellish myself.  

1) countries don't get to pick asylum seekers based on their skills. 

2)They somehow managed to not notice all the other safe EU countries they passed through to get to the French coast.... am I missing something there? 

Processing and immediate return to country of origin is what needs to happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

2)They somehow managed to not notice all the other safe EU countries they passed through to get to the French coast.... am I missing something there? 

How many of those European countries operate in English?

As an asylum seeker, what's the most likely language you're going to be able to speak, that isn't your native tongue?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

As an asylum seeker, what's the most likely language you're going to be able to speak, that isn't your native tongue?

Still not a good reason for not claiming asylum in another country on the way. If the things you're running from are life threatening then any port in a storm should be welcome. 

It's also possible to learn a second language...

5 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Yeah but we're talking about huge lack of employment in the low skilled sector. 

Empathy?  I'm guessing you don't have a daughter, or would be happy to see her raised in a country where she has no education, hope and is likely to be forced to marry some old man who is part of the Barbarian rulers?

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I've ended up in a few countries for extended periods and with minimal language.  Funnily enough literally within a couple of months I've been able to a have a fairly coherent conversation with the locals.  Plus were talking about English here, the most widely spoken and published language in the world.  To think they would have had no exposure to even a little bit of it is a bit naïve. 

11 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

1) And nor should they, we should offer asylum because it's the right thing to do, not what we can make out of it.

2) What you're missing is the faintest glimmer of humanity by the sounds of it.

• Like 3

Just now, The Phantom said:

I've ended up in a few countries for extended periods and with minimal language.  Funnily enough literally within a couple of months I've been able to a have a fairly coherent conversation with the locals.  Plus were talking about English here, the most widely spoken and published language in the world.  To think they would have had no exposure to even a little bit of it is a bit naïve. 

My point was the opposite.

You'd go to the UK because you're most likely to have an English proficiency, and as you say, we clearly have the labour shortage.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah but we're talking about huge lack of employment in the low skilled sector. 

Empathy?  I'm guessing you don't have a daughter, or would be happy to see her raised in a country where she has no education, hope and is likely to be forced to marry some old man who is part of the Barbarian rulers?

I've plenty of empathy. There's also a lot of countries out there other than the UK. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Still not a good reason for not claiming asylum in another country on the way. If the things you're running from are life threatening then any port in a storm should be welcome. 

It's also possible to learn a second language...

If someone wants to make what is a life-threatening journey away from persecution for a better life for them, their family and those around them, as well as bringing their skillsets, where is the issue?

To make that journey, you need to be well-resourced, it's often tremendously expensive and dangerous. A channel crossing is not cheap with people smugglers.

It has been well studied, and you can actually find research discussing the impact.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aaq0883

It shows that inflows of asylum seekers do not deteriorate host countries’ economic performance or fiscal balance because the increase in public spending induced by asylum seekers is more than compensated for by an increase in tax revenues net of transfers. As asylum seekers become permanent residents, their macroeconomic impacts become positive.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have a long standing, very public and expensive policy to attract new residents. If you look at locate.im we are a nirvana who welcomes just about any economically active incomer.

Unless that is, they are fleeing one of the war torn, dangerous clusterfucks our disproportionate "defence" contribution has help to create. Bloody hypocrites.

• Like 4