Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

I don't think we are hearing the full sorry tale of the eastern and western sewage affair? I have heard, off the record, that apart from the purchases of sites in Laxey and Patrick, which later ran into planning and permission issues, including the demolition of a property, there is worse. The purchase of a house for c.2m in Baldrine to be demolished to provide a pumping station. This has apparently been quashed and the house rented out. Something is seriously amiss with Manx Utilities, should they be buying properties for government use? 

Stinky Linky

To be fair to MUA they are buying these properties in good faith, its only when the NIMBYs get involved they get turned down.

From an engineering perspective the location they proposed in Laxey where the chalets are was about good as you could get. 

The location of the final works, above laxey will involve the kind of extra costs that make the prom look cheap.

There is still going to have to be a massive above and below ground construction where the chalets are to hold and then pump the SH1T up to the Ramsey Road to the new treatment works which will be built on land that has yet to be purchased.

Apart from all that, you should see the price of digging into rock for the pressure pipelines that will also have to be laid up the very steep cliffs and then back down the cliffs and somehow connected, if possible, to the existing outfall.

Tens of millions this will cost but hey ho, the villagers won because they stopped it, or so they think. The toilet tax will have to be tripled at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

To be fair to MUA they are buying these properties in good faith, its only when the NIMBYs get involved they get turned down.

From an engineering perspective the location they proposed in Laxey where the chalets are was about good as you could get. 

The location of the final works, above laxey will involve the kind of extra costs that make the prom look cheap.

There is still going to have to be a massive above and below ground construction where the chalets are to hold and then pump the SH1T up to the Ramsey Road to the new treatment works which will be built on land that has yet to be purchased.

Apart from all that, you should see the price of digging into rock for the pressure pipelines that will also have to be laid up the very steep cliffs and then back down the cliffs and somehow connected, if possible, to the existing outfall.

Tens of millions this will cost but hey ho, the villagers won because they stopped it, or so they think. The toilet tax will have to be tripled at least.

Perhaps they should do their homework before splashing taxpayers cash!

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Perhaps the NIMBYs should be made to cart their own effluent to Meary Veg on a weekly basis?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

The cost of these properties will be a minor fraction of the final costs but I get your point

Chicken and egg situation. How can you go for planning and outline design without knowing you have the assets. You can't get planning on someone else's property can you.?

Unfortunately, gravity doesn't care about Nimbyism. If you aren't going to treat the waste at the lowest level (or close to it) then you will have to pump it uphill to some other location. And that's where the fun begins. Pumps are more efficient and last longer with a steady flow, so you will need large holding tanks and pumps at the bottom to smooth out the demand. 

Those tanks will emit gases (Douglas prom is a prime example ~ those oddly large lamposts on the wall with two lamps are vent pipes) and potentially ground transmission of vibration from the pumps (White Hoe).

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I think not wanting something in one's 'backyard' is actually ok sometimes.

I too wouldn't want sewage treatment works in my 'backyard', particularly if my 'backyard' was an area the MUA themselves had identified as a place likely to flood and if it was in the middle of a tourist area which is designated as a conservation area meaning homeowners themselves can't change basic things without jumping through hoops.

We didn't have to put up with this type of construction in popular areas down south, so why do they in Laxey? Seems to me that the MUA thought they could just force it through on the people of Laxey. I'm sure there were other options talked about at the time which were less intrusive on peoples lives and were, in the grand scheme of things, just a little more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jax said:

I think not wanting something in one's 'backyard' is actually ok sometimes.

I too wouldn't want sewage treatment works in my 'backyard', particularly if my 'backyard' was an area the MUA themselves had identified as a place likely to flood and if it was in the middle of a tourist area which is designated as a conservation area meaning homeowners themselves can't change basic things without jumping through hoops.

We didn't have to put up with this type of construction in popular areas down south, so why do they in Laxey? Seems to me that the MUA thought they could just force it through on the people of Laxey. I'm sure there were other options talked about at the time which were less intrusive on peoples lives and were, in the grand scheme of things, just a little more expensive.

Properly run it's not a problem, plenty around the coast of Cornwall. The biggest concern you should have is who will build and run it.

Big houses round here have their own small treatment plants.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You can’t run a sewage treatment plant properly when it’s going to be under metres of flood water at least twice a year - and likely a lot more than twice. It was never going to work. They had a choice of thirteen other sites but had jumped the gun and bought the land and chalets before planning went in. 

It isn't going to be under 'metres of flood water', you're being a drama queen!

51 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You can’t run a sewage treatment plant properly when it’s going to be under metres of flood water at least twice a year - and likely a lot more than twice. It was never going to work. They had a choice of thirteen other sites but had jumped the gun and bought the land and chalets before planning went in. 

Where do you hear this nonsense. Did you actually look at the plans. If the new, planned sewage works had flooded, the rest of lower Laxey would be history.