Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

26 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

They have proved that you can pump shit uphill though haven't they ?

The original plan was that all the islands sewage would go to Meary Veg, however as soon as Douglas and the rest of the south was connected up it became obvious that the amount of dung they would be dealing with was far greater than anticipated and parts of the treatment process were instantly working at more than full capacity.  

Yes. But people have been pumping sewage up hill for about 100years. Its not rocket science. The trouble with sending Laxey sewage to Meary Veg is that it would be like a roller coaster. Pumped up from Laxey and then all the way to Onchan. Then gravitating into the prom and then pumped again up Castletown old road. It just doesn't make any sense in these days. Hardly carbon neutral. And that's without the cost of laying a new rising main to Onchan which alone would be millions

28 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

They have proved that you can pump shit uphill though haven't they ?

Yeah you CAN but it's not cheap, easy, quiet etc. 

They're still ranting on about it.  To be honest if I was the Chief on this, I'd tell Laxey that they have been provided with a solution (the Garwick one) and they can either accept it, or spend the rest of their lives swimming around in their own shit and I grew up in Laxey!!! 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/community-group-suggests-that-manx-utilities-has-got-its-sums-wrong-over-sewage-plans-but-mu-rejects-that-549726

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They're still ranting on about it.  To be honest if I was the Chief on this, I'd tell Laxey that they have been provided with a solution (the Garwick one) and they can either accept it, or spend the rest of their lives swimming around in their own shit and I grew up in Laxey!!! 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/community-group-suggests-that-manx-utilities-has-got-its-sums-wrong-over-sewage-plans-but-mu-rejects-that-549726

Why do they think that MU would be promoting the wrong solution? I know whose calculations I would trust the most and its not those who have a vested interest.

The statement about getting better quality from MV is a load of tosh for a start. Even 5 mins on google and look at some reports will tell you that. They are used in small locations all over the world. Meary veg is hardly state of the art anyway. Not sure where they get the rubbish about UV either. 

They just don't want it in their backyard.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Must have been around the mid 90s that a friend of mine's dad who was an engineer of some description was engaged as a consultant to the IRIS project.  I distinctly remember him saying that pumping it up hill and ALL to a central point would never work.  

They didn't listen to the experts 30 years ago, so at least they've got form. 

They listened to a guy who wasn't even an engineer and who sucked £millions from the Isle of Man Government. His company was involved with Douglas Prom too, but maybe that is another story.

1 hour ago, AOR said:

They listened to a guy who wasn't even an engineer and who sucked £millions from the Isle of Man Government. His company was involved with Douglas Prom too, but maybe that is another story.

Who awarded the contract to that company?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Actually, they've had two options.  One at the Harbour that they didn't like.  Now the one in Garwick they don't like. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It’s only a small group against the Garwick option.

The harbour was a dreadful idea for lots of reasons. 

The groups main gripe is that the original plan was to pump and although that was in the original plan, time has moved on with a larger variety of treatment options. Also, we don’t have the same cash flow as we did in 1996.

I would say turn majority of Garff residents just want this sorted now. It treatment works are installed in Garwick and the bay is uncontaminated with sewage then I think that’s now all that the majority wants.

I’d just like to go for my morning swim without worrying about swallowing somebody else’s jobbie.

Enough time has passed. Stop fighting, get it built and let’s have our clean water back. 

What reasons?

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What reasons?

Wasn't it the access?  In the end they couldn't pump it back out from the Harbour collection area and the only other option was shit tankers multiple times a day.  They'd need a new bridge, Old (lower) Laxey has skinny/steep/bendy roads that would be a nightmare for a tanker.  

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Wasn't it the access?  In the end they couldn't pump it back out from the Harbour collection area and the only other option was shit tankers multiple times a day.  They'd need a new bridge, Old (lower) Laxey has skinny/steep/bendy roads that would be a nightmare for a tanker.  

Blimey. One sludge tanker per day. Tanker is smaller than a bus and that gets through ok.

I think it was just that the locals didn't want it as far as I remember. No engineering or tangible reason

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The whole site is also under a metre of water several times a year when the river of high and the tide is on its way in. It’s in the Laxey flood plan as a risk area. Just a small consideration that perhaps should have been considered before government paid for the whole site (and also before obtaining planning permission)

Its also slap bang in the middle of one of the most picturesque areas of the village.

But apart from that it was great. 

The whole site is also under a metre of water several times a year when the river of high and the tide is on its way in. It’s in the Laxey flood plan as a risk area. Just a small consideration that perhaps should have been considered before government paid for the whole site (and also before obtaining planning permission)

That was a myth I thought. Its impossible isn't it. The boats would be on the road The whole planets sea level would have to rise by metres. I thought the design allowed for flood

Its also slap bang in the middle of one of the most picturesque areas of the village.

No its not in the most picturesque part of the village, but that's subjective I suppose. And I thought it looked great on the mock ups. Nice new bridge faced in Manx Stone. Better than those terrible wooden chalets anyway

But apart from that it was great. 

It was also at the lowest point in the sewer and upstream of the existing outfall pipe. That made it millions cheaper than any other option. Doesn't seem to both folks in beautiful Cornwall. But heyho, its gone now.

Edited by Happier diner

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

before government paid for the whole site (and also before obtaining planning permission)

So did Govt buy that whole area with the Chalets?  Are they still being used?

I would be a great place for something that didn't mind an occasional winter flood.  Park or something, camping? 

35 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who was asking the question. 

You don need much knowledge to work it out do you? All the sewers run down to the harbour where they converge into the outfall pipe. You dont need to be a civil engineer to work out that was why they placed the new sewage works there. No new pipes, no pumps.The planning application included an architects mock up of the design.

I have never seen the chalets under water.

Surely to goodness it would have been more sensible to tweak the design in a way that would have addressed the concerns rather than just abandon the idea. Any other option will need new mains and a pump station in addition to the new sewage works.

Have you ever been to Boacastle?

People say have you seen the sewage works in boscastle? The answer is usually no. It's there though. The locals were full of fear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3706347.stm

Unlike us, they sorted it out.