Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If I could be arsed I could show you many photos with the whole area under metres of water. That’s why the plans were thrown out. You can’t run a sewage treatment plant on a designated flood plain. No drama required - just fact  

Well the plans I saw had all the equipment that could be damaged by flood at an elevation way above the predicted worst flood level. Yes the car park etc. would be flooded but not the treatment building or the electrical bits. 

Do you think the people who design such things are that stupid?

3 hours ago, Jax said:

I think not wanting something in one's 'backyard' is actually ok sometimes.

I too wouldn't want sewage treatment works in my 'backyard', particularly if my 'backyard' was an area the MUA themselves had identified as a place likely to flood and if it was in the middle of a tourist area which is designated as a conservation area meaning homeowners themselves can't change basic things without jumping through hoops.

We didn't have to put up with this type of construction in popular areas down south, so why do they in Laxey? Seems to me that the MUA thought they could just force it through on the people of Laxey. I'm sure there were other options talked about at the time which were less intrusive on peoples lives and were, in the grand scheme of things, just a little more expensive.

The chalets will have been chosen as the ideal spot because that is where all the sewer pipes end up now.

It will still need a massive engineering construction in the same spot to be able to pump it somewhere else for treatment then back to the same spot to go out to sea, its madness.

Laxey is a steep sides river valley,  that is what chose the location of the plant, not the MUA

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The chalets will have been chosen as the ideal spot because that is where all the sewer pipes end up now.

It will still need a massive engineering construction in the same spot to be able to pump it somewhere else for treatment then back to the same spot to go out to sea, its madness.

Laxey is a steep sides river valley,  that is what chose the location of the plant, not the MUA

Genuine question why would it need to come back to the existing outfall pipe?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe, theoretically you could. Not a sensible way to do things though eh? Spend millions designing something based upon a plan and then make compulsory purchases. What sort of society do you want to live in. 

Hey I don't make the rules!

56 minutes ago, finlo said:

Genuine question why would it need to come back to the existing outfall pipe?

A lot cheaper to use an existing pipe than to lay a new undersea pipe at a guess.

The main thing in Laxey is that all the sewer pipes end up at the chalets site, that cannot be changed so that MUST be the location of a dirty big holding tank and MASSIVE PUMPS to pump it to the headlands.

Apart from the electricity required it will be very difficult to isolate those pumps to stop vibrations throughout lower Laxey. This would not have been a problem if the treatment plant was on the site.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

A lot cheaper to use an existing pipe than to lay a new undersea pipe at a guess.

The main thing in Laxey is that all the sewer pipes end up at the chalets site, that cannot be changed so that MUST be the location of a dirty big holding tank and MASSIVE PUMPS to pump it to the headlands.

Apart from the electricity required it will be very difficult to isolate those pumps to stop vibrations throughout lower Laxey. This would not have been a problem if the treatment plant was on the site.

What I was alluding to was if the treatment plant was several miles away could the treated effluent not be discharged closer to the plant?