Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

You can’t run a sewage treatment plant properly when it’s going to be under metres of flood water at least twice a year - and likely a lot more than twice. It was never going to work. They had a choice of thirteen other sites but had jumped the gun and bought the land and chalets before planning went in. 

Have those holiday chalets been flooded under metres of water regularly? (genuine question as I don't know) I thought they would have been swept away by that much of a flood.

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Have those holiday chalets been flooded under metres of water regularly? (genuine question as I don't know) I thought they would have been swept away by that much of a flood.

Never flooded as far as I know. It's not really possible unless the polar icecaps melt and the sea level rises. The flooding is caused by the restriction with the river sides backing up water. Anything by the sea itself is ok unless the harbour inlet was blocked I guess.

20 hours ago, Max Power said:

I don't think we are hearing the full sorry tale of the eastern and western sewage affair? I have heard, off the record, that apart from the purchases of sites in Laxey and Patrick, which later ran into planning and permission issues, including the demolition of a property, there is worse. The purchase of a house for c.2m in Baldrine to be demolished to provide a pumping station. This has apparently been quashed and the house rented out. Something is seriously amiss with Manx Utilities, should they be buying properties for government use? 

Stinky Linky

Which house was that?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Never flooded as far as I know. It's not really possible unless the polar icecaps melt and the sea level rises. The flooding is caused by the restriction with the river sides backing up water. Anything by the sea itself is ok unless the harbour inlet was blocked I guess.

Well the MUA consider the site to be likely to flood and that was one of the negatives when considering their choice of site. Theres plans for that part of Laxey to have a sea wall built from up near the Shore pub and then down to and along the promenade. So there is expectation of increased flooding and the water that would be flooding Lower Laxey were it not for the proposed sea wall needs to go somewhere. Peoplecriticise the UK for allowing construction in flood zones for good reason.

28 minutes ago, Jax said:

Well the MUA consider the site to be likely to flood and that was one of the negatives when considering their choice of site. Theres plans for that part of Laxey to have a sea wall built from up near the Shore pub and then down to and along the promenade. So there is expectation of increased flooding and the water that would be flooding Lower Laxey were it not for the proposed sea wall needs to go somewhere. Peoplecriticise the UK for allowing construction in flood zones for good reason.

So, why did they buy it then?

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's not pretty, even for a small sewage works.

Anything can be made to look pretty, a bit of Manx stone walling etc.

3 minutes ago, Jax said:

Why did they label a place as likely to flood and then buy it to build on? Don't know, maybe it was cheap.

Proabably becasue it is the lowest point and if something is sealed well enough to keep sewage and smells in, it'll proabably survive a few hours of flooding once a decade. Or you could build a bund wall around it which would do a double duty to contain any leaks from the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Newbie said:

So imagine instead of building it some way away from the village, and out of sight, they had decided to build it at the edge of the harbour in Coverack. Would the locals be happy with that?

Locals are rarely happy with anything. Seriously, a plant as proposed in Laxey isn't a big issue once it's in operation. Just make sure DOI is not involved.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Locals are rarely happy with anything. Seriously, a plant as proposed in Laxey isn't a big issue once it's in operation. Just make sure DOI is not involved.

I don't know of any similar treatment plants that have been built in central village locations, or in the middle of popular tourist areas. They are always sited at some distance, presumably for a reason. I appreciate that the geography in Laxey makes it a challenge, but it is a Conservation area, and that must count for something.

The original report that was commissioned to look at options was basically written to prove that the proposed site was the only feasible one, rather than to objectively evaluate alternative proposals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I don't know of any similar treatment plants that have been built in central village locations, or in the middle of popular tourist areas. They are always sited at some distance, presumably for a reason. I appreciate that the geography in Laxey makes it a challenge, but it is a Conservation area, and that must count for something.

The original report that was commissioned to look at options was basically written to prove that the proposed site was the only feasible one, rather than to objectively evaluate alternative proposals.

Try Boscastle.