Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Sewage from Andreas is treated at Balladoole as far as I know. There have been complaints from that site about the smell. Fortunately. it isn't near any built up areas

Yes, there were complaints from the Amenity Site staff about the smell, even some off sick with headaches and various a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

You  have to put a pump station or treatment works where the sewers currently end. That is just how it is, it is a fact.

Port Erin has a massive one in the middle of the village, Port st Mary's is on the quay, Ramsey on the prom, they all had to go where the pipes go to now.

Laxey's pipes go to the harbour so you need to either build the treatment works there or a huge pump station.

I would imagine that the 3 towns I mentioned above have pump stations and not treatment works because pumping is not too difficult, Laxey's end of its sewers is at the bottom of very steep cliffs and a steep valley which makes pumping expensive and noisy.

ETA MU would always have to buy the chalets, they HAD to build something there , works or pump station.

Buying that before everyone knew what was going on was a shrewd move the plot would have been a lot more expensive if people knew that it was critical.

As Roxanne has pointed out, it isn't really for the locals to come up with an appropriate plan, although ideas have been put forward. Most of the sewage that ends up in lower Laxey comes from the large estates the other side of Ramsey Road. If pumping it back up hill is a problem (which I can understand), don't bring it down to Lower Laxey in the first place. That, combined with making sure that storm water from properties doesn't enter the sewage system would mean that there would be far less to either treat in lower Laxey (meaning a much smaller facility), or to pump away. I am not saying that nothing needs to be done, or even that a treatment plant isn't needed in Lower Laxey, but these options haven't been properly evaluated

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Do you, or anyone know what was in the original plan from the IRIS project? There seems to be a dearth of information on it. Not whether it was a good idea or not, but just what the projection was at the time? 

Pump everything from everywhere to Santon.

17 minutes ago, Newbie said:

As Roxanne has pointed out, it isn't really for the locals to come up with an appropriate plan, although ideas have been put forward. Most of the sewage that ends up in lower Laxey comes from the large estates the other side of Ramsey Road. If pumping it back up hill is a problem (which I can understand), don't bring it down to Lower Laxey in the first place. That, combined with making sure that storm water from properties doesn't enter the sewage system would mean that there would be far less to either treat in lower Laxey (meaning a much smaller facility), or to pump away. I am not saying that nothing needs to be done, or even that a treatment plant isn't needed in Lower Laxey, but these options haven't been properly evaluated

In your opinion ? You being an expert in the subject?

Your plan then is to have the worst of both worlds.:(

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, there were complaints from the Amenity Site staff about the smell, even some off sick with headaches and various a few months ago.

Yes that's because somehow the MUA got away without fitting an odour control plant at Balladoole. Don't know how they did but they did. It's bitten them in the bum as they are now retro fitting one. 

Laxey has had one in the design since the start. If people bothered their ****** to do proper research before writing nonsense this would be a much better place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I am not wasting any more time on this. 

I will give the NIMBYS a clue GRAVITY

Me neither. People can't see what a disaster rejecting the Laxey plan is. Future generations paying for the burning of fossil fuels (or wasting hard earned sustainable power) for the next 2 generations is a win. It's not.

25 years ago when IRIS was conceived, small biodisc filters were an emerging technology. Now they are established. They are cheap and use little electricity. If they are built with odour control they don't smell. They produce little waste and high quality effluent. 

I hope the new big energy consuming pump station stinks.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In your opinion ? You being an expert in the subject?

Your plan then is to have the worst of both worlds.:(

I don't think you need to be an expert to work out that if less sewage is sent to lower Laxey, whether to be treated there or to be pumped away, there is less sewage.

As has been pointed out, Lower Laxey is at the bottom of a steep sided valley, and it is difficult to pump all that sewage up hill. The point that is being missed is that the majority of the sewage isn't produced at the bottom of the valley, it is being produced much higher up.

All I am saying is that these things haven't even been considered. The initial reaction was to build a treatment plant in a Tourist/Conservation area, and all of the planning work done was basically trying to make the case that they had already decided upon, rather than the more logical approach of properly evaluating all of the available options.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I don't think you need to be an expert to work out that if less sewage is sent to lower Laxey, whether to be treated there or to be pumped away, there is less sewage.

As has been pointed out, Lower Laxey is at the bottom of a steep sided valley, and it is difficult to pump all that sewage up hill. The point that is being missed is that the majority of the sewage isn't produced at the bottom of the valley, it is being produced much higher up.

All I am saying is that these things haven't even been considered. The initial reaction was to build a treatment plant in a Tourist/Conservation area, and all of the planning work done was basically trying to make the case that they had already decided upon, rather than the more logical approach of properly evaluating all of the available options.

Ok. Didn't mean to be rude. The problem with your plan would be intercepting all the high level stuff. Currently everything merges at the bottom, as you correctly state. However it gets there via hundreds of sperate sewers and drains. I haven't got the information to know for sure, but experience of other sewerage and water drainage systems and knowledge of the Laxey topography suggests to me this would be incredibly difficult and costly. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Ok. Didn't mean to be rude. The problem with your plan would be intercepting all the high level stuff. Currently everything merges at the bottom, as you correctly state. However it gets there via hundreds of sperate sewers and drains. I haven't got the information to know for sure, but experience of other sewerage and water drainage systems and knowledge of the Laxey topography suggests to me this would be incredibly difficult and costly. 

That may be the case, but we wouldn't know because it hasn't even been properly considered. All of the houses on estates above Ramsey Road will have sewage running into a single system per estate I would imagine, although I absolutely concede that I am no expert.

If it turned out that alternative solutions  weren't possible on cost grounds, at least we would all know that the current proposal was chosen for those reasons rather than because it is the best solution for Laxey

Edited by Newbie

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

That may be the case, but we wouldn't know because it hasn't even been properly considered. All of the houses on estates above Ramsey Road will have sewage running into a single system per estate I would imagine, although I absolutely concede that I am no expert.

If it turned out that alternative solutions  weren't possible on cost grounds, at least we would all know that the current proposal was chosen for those reasons rather than because it is the best solution for Laxey

And if those estates lowest point of sewer is above the new treatment works and there is enough of a gradient to take the sewage there I am sure that will be part of the plan.

That sounds easy but it is also costly, imagine installing a sewer pipe from the main estate all the way along the main road toward Ramsey to the new treatment works, if that is where they go. From memory that is mostly up hill so wont work anyway and you cant just connect that estate or others to the pumped pipe from the Chalet areas.

These kind of things will have been considered but dismissed on practicality grounds/ cost.

Taking off a couple estates will not make much difference in any case, Laxey's main problem is that there is only a sewer system, no rainwater pipes from houses so when it rains the sewers flow full bore. Do you remember they put a new pipe the length of Glen Rd years ago to act as a reservoir for this flood situation.

It is too complicated to install a rainwater system to the whole of Laxey, you would be cheaper leveling the place and starting again.

The NIMBYS can argue for ever but as long as you need to stop putting sh1t in the sea you will need some huge item of engineering at the chalet site area to make that work.

• Like 1