Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Hear me out...

At the time of IRIS when the plan for Laxey and Baldrine was published and it was stated that everything would be pumped to meary veg... 

Why did no one ever question of the efficacy of the plan. Why was it approved then but not now? 

Technology has changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Hear me out...

At the time of IRIS when the plan for Laxey and Baldrine was published and it was stated that everything would be pumped to meary veg... 

Why did no one ever question of the efficacy of the plan. Why was it approved then but not now? 

Because as someone has said small bio disc plants are much better than they were then so they have been adopted.

But as I said before it would STILL NEED A BLOODY BIG PUMP STATION AT THE CHALET SITE. It it was pumped to local or Meary Veg

There, you made me shout! Happy?😁

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Hear me out...

It was challenged but Tinpotworld knew better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

These kind of things will have been considered but dismissed on practicality grounds/ cost.

The planning committee did not believe that all of the possible alternatives had been explored. The MUA had decided what they wanted to do, and their considerations basically extended to identifying a number of other potential sites for a treatment plant, all of which were even less suitable, in order to justify their original choice

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

The planning committee did not believe that all of the possible alternatives had been explored. The MUA had decided what they wanted to do, and their considerations basically extended to identifying a number of other potential sites for a treatment plant, all of which were even less suitable, in order to justify their original choice

Okay, so you pick somewhere else for the treatment works that everybody likes.

So how do you get the sewerage to that site?

Bearing in mind that fluids don't flow up hill on their own.........................

Please tell me.

33 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Okay, so you pick somewhere else for the treatment works that everybody likes.

So how do you get the sewerage to that site?

Bearing in mind that fluids don't flow up hill on their own.........................

Please tell me.

I don't have the answer, and as I said earlier, I am not even saying that the facility definitely shouldn't be built on the chalet site. What I am saying is that the MUA commissioned a report when they had already decided what they wanted to do. The public consultation was a joke. The planning committee agreed that possible alternatives hadn't been properly explored. If you feel that is an appropriate way to deal with what was obviously going to be a sensitive issue, given the nature of the harbour and its surroundings, and its status as a conservation area, I am going to have to disagree with you.

They should go back to the drawing board and consider all of the possible alternatives in a proper manner. If the outcome is the same, so be it, but that issue shouldn't be prejudged. Is it too much to ask that proper processes should be followed?

8 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I don't have the answer, and as I said earlier, I am not even saying that the facility definitely shouldn't be built on the chalet site. What I am saying is that the MUA commissioned a report when they had already decided what they wanted to do. The public consultation was a joke. The planning committee agreed that possible alternatives hadn't been properly explored. If you feel that is an appropriate way to deal with what was obviously going to be a sensitive issue, given the nature of the harbour and its surroundings, and its status as a conservation area, I am going to have to disagree with you.

They should go back to the drawing board and consider all of the possible alternatives in a proper manner. If the outcome is the same, so be it, but that issue shouldn't be prejudged. Is it too much to ask that proper processes should be followed?

The Chalet site is the only option, disagree all you want but it is where the pipes end up. 

MU had no choice as I have said several times, the site was chosen by whoever designed the original sewers in laxey and chose the harbour area as the site of the outfall. That dictates that a treatment works or a pump station MUST be built at that location.

You can consult with the public as much as you like it won't change the laws of nature, fluids flow downhill. 

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

The Chalet site is the only option, disagree all you want but it is where the pipes end up. 

I think you have missed my point. It is the process I am disagreeing with, not the fact that some sort of facility has to be on that site. Exactly what sort of facility had been predetermined by Manx Utilities, and their public consultation process sought to gloss over that.

Fortunately, the Planning Committee were more open minded, and hopefully a proper examination of the merits or otherwise of the various options can take place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well someone is attempting to highlight the shitshow in Peel.  

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/sewage-petition-gathers-over-1400-signatures/

I don't think there has been any further development with Laxey. 

I suppose it takes until the summer for people to see all the round brown fish and tampon eels to realise just how disgusting it is.   

What I find extraordinary is the number of people who didn’t realise raw sewage was still by pumped into Peel bay. I thought it was a well known fact and I was always surprised by the sheer number of people who were happy to swim in shit or let their kids swim in shit but judging by the comments on Facebook, people have been swimming/paddling in the sea completely unaware? In this age of social media how is that even possible?

To add to the confusion it seems the ones who objected to a pumping/treatment station (mostly in the newly built housing estates) are the very same ones who don’t want raw sewage pumped into the bay.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

What I find extraordinary is the number of people who didn’t realise raw sewage was still by pumped into Peel bay. I thought it was a well known fact and I was always surprised by the sheer number of people who were happy to swim in shit or let their kids swim in shit but judging by the comments on Facebook, people have been swimming/paddling in the sea completely unaware? In this age of social media how is that even possible?

To add to the confusion it seems the ones who objected to a pumping/treatment station (mostly in the newly built housing estates) are the very same ones who don’t want raw sewage pumped into the bay.

Exactly - the same ones moaning about the sewage are probably the same ones that opposed the treatment plants.  Unfortunately the IRIS scheme wouldn't ever be extended to Peel or Laxey, it's too much trouble to pump it all somewhere central, so the treatment would have to be local to those areas. 

The Peel outlet is right at the end of the pier, so it easily gets washed into the beach.  As soon as you get anywhere near the end of the pier, you can smell it.  I've been sick a few times after being in the water at Peel.

Laxey is just round the corner from the beach behind the pier, so generally it doesn't get washed in as easily unless a NE wind, which are fairly rare. 

Peel surely has a few options for placement of a treatment plant, bearing in mind there is quite a bit of industrial land near the river and it's all quite flat around there. 

Unfortunately I think there is only one possible place to put a plant in Laxey due to the steep sided valley and the residents didn't like it there. 

1 minute ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Eh? Didn't you learn anything from the first time?

It wasn't every time, maybe sick 2 or 3 times over the space of a few years.  After trying extra hard not to swallow any water and still getting extra specially sick (together with a few others who were in the water on the same day) I eventually did learn...