Sewage, something stinks!

Max Power

12 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly - the same ones moaning about the sewage are probably the same ones that opposed the treatment plants.  Unfortunately the IRIS scheme wouldn't ever be extended to Peel or Laxey, it's too much trouble to pump it all somewhere central, so the treatment would have to be local to those areas. 

The Peel outlet is right at the end of the pier, so it easily gets washed into the beach.  As soon as you get anywhere near the end of the pier, you can smell it.  I've been sick a few times after being in the water at Peel.

Laxey is just round the corner from the beach behind the pier, so generally it doesn't get washed in as easily unless a NE wind, which are fairly rare. 

Peel surely has a few options for placement of a treatment plant, bearing in mind there is quite a bit of industrial land near the river and it's all quite flat around there. 

Unfortunately I think there is only one possible place to put a plant in Laxey due to the steep sided valley and the residents didn't like it there. 

The Laxey residents want it pumped elsewhere. Yes right back up the hill and then 'somewhere else'. Talk about hypocrites. Government gave in to their objections over the only place it could go. They expect everyone else to pay the massive cost of pumping for time eternal. Maybe they should bung up the outfall and see how they moan when it starts coming out on the streets 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Boris Johnson said:

Because as someone has said small bio disc plants are much better than they were then so they have been adopted.

But as I said before it would STILL NEED A BLOODY BIG PUMP STATION AT THE CHALET SITE. It it was pumped to local or Meary Veg

There, you made me shout! Happy?😁

Slight correction, you'd need bloody big pumping stations all the way from Laxey to Meary Veg. Look at Ramsey, they put a pumping station on the Mooragh Park to pump out to Balladoole treatment and then back on gravity. Massive holding tanks underneath too. 

If you are really interesed in Laxey just put a DialB4Udig requst in. 😉

On 8/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Happier diner said:

The Laxey residents want it pumped elsewhere. Yes right back up the hill and then 'somewhere else'. Talk about hypocrites. Government gave in to their objections over the only place it could go. They expect everyone else to pay the massive cost of pumping for time eternal. Maybe they should bung up the outfall and see how they moan when it starts coming out on the streets 

Lots of the same fuckers in Laxey want government to pay their house insurance premiums after the floods. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Happier diner said:

Well they can F off , they’ve only got 2 MHKs & they can have the station in Laxey !

On 3/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Newbie said:

I think you have missed my point. It is the process I am disagreeing with, not the fact that some sort of facility has to be on that site. Exactly what sort of facility had been predetermined by Manx Utilities, and their public consultation process sought to gloss over that.

Fortunately, the Planning Committee were more open minded, and hopefully a proper examination of the merits or otherwise of the various options can take place.

And this is why Laxey and Peel are still swimming in their own shit and will be for years to come and Ramsey is not.

• Thanks 1

At one time Peel could 'absorb' the raw sewage, same as most other places.

The population has exploded and sewage is a basic infrastructure, hey, but as long as Dan and Co are making £millions then the problem will be dealt with by others another day ie such as our grandchildren ('their' grandchildren will be rolling in money while the Isle of Man counterparts will be rolling in shite)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Newbie said:

I think you have missed my point. It is the process I am disagreeing with, not the fact that some sort of facility has to be on that site. Exactly what sort of facility had been predetermined by Manx Utilities, and their public consultation process sought to gloss over that.

Fortunately, the Planning Committee were more open minded, and hopefully a proper examination of the merits or otherwise of the various options can take place.

It wasn't like that at all. Planning procedures were followed. The planner lost their nerve when the Laxey mafia started protesting. The protest had no merit. It was pure and simple nimbisism.

2 minutes ago, Danoo said:

What's the real reason Peel can't get a sewage plant, a pretty basic necessity that even third world countries can muster. Too much money spent on a promenade which is a national embarrassment a likely factor. 

There is plenty of money. Just no where to put it that keeps everyone happy. 

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty remarkable a building firm was allowed to double the size of a town without the adequate infrastructure being in place to handle it.

28 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Any other place apart from the Isle of Man it would be remarkable.

It would be remarkable if it was true. All the new developments in Peel have sewage works built and operated by the developer. The treated sewage is discharged through the MUAs network, but it IS treated.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It would be remarkable if it was true. All the new developments in Peel have sewage works built and operated by the developer. The treated sewage is discharged through the MUAs network, but it IS treated.

Where are these sewage works in the new Peel developments? I've not seen any. 

Regarding people not realising that raw sewage is still discharged into Peel Bay, I suppose some could be forgiven. After all, they did build that huge IRIS underground holding tank on Peel Prom back in the late 90s*. At the time I lived less than 100m from the site and the pile-driving shook the whole house for weeks.

If memory serves, it was never hooked up to anything. Government then went rather quiet on the whole thing. I always thought they just wanted people to assume everything was hunky-dory rather than the shit show that it is. 

*or early 2000s.

Edited by Zarley
*caveat