Airport.

Billy kettlefish

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Did Longtail buy the wrong ones?

I was told by a fireman the service wanted to lease a type of fire engine which was the best deal and the best for the job, they were told and I quote "This is the IOM we don't lease things we buy things ". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

I was told by a fireman the service wanted to lease a type of fire engine which was the best deal and the best for the job, they were told and I quote "This is the IOM we don't lease things we buy things ". 

Which is the right thing to do when in the position of government.. Leasing isnt the most cost effective way.

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Which is the right thing to do when in the position of government.. Leasing isnt the most cost effective way.

Apparently in this case it was the right equipment at the right price with maintenance contracts etc ! If the story is correct and I have nothing to say it wasn't then Government do their usual thing ask questions and then take no notice of the answers from people who knew ! If they had asked the pilots, they would have been told don't demolish the lighting gantry you'll ruin the approach minima ! but as far as I know no pilots were asked about it !

• Like 3

Wizzair starting flights to Jersey. They've also got Loganair, Jet2, easyJet and BA for their tourists and residents

Meanwhile the IOM airport struggling to get anything other than Loganair and easyJet.

Where is the tourist policy or expansion to grow passenger numbers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, asitis said:

Apparently in this case it was the right equipment at the right price with maintenance contracts etc ! If the story is correct and I have nothing to say it wasn't then Government do their usual thing ask questions and then take no notice of the answers from people who knew ! If they had asked the pilots, they would have been told don't demolish the lighting gantry you'll ruin the approach minima ! but as far as I know no pilots were asked about it !

If they get a good lease deal with maintenance support it means DOI (and one individual in particular) couldn't justify employing their vast army of mechanics 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, asitis said:

People with absolutely no aeronautical knowledge (despite what they say) have made decisions about what the airport needs to operate. Ask any qualified aviation professional who has spoken to them - you can't kid a kidder as they say. You are right, they spend millions on what they think is needed, rather than asking and finding out what really is.Even when they are told, they don't listen.

The airport is there as a vital transport link. Surely the aim should be make improvements that will allow aircraft to land in conditions that at the moment legally prohibit approaches to be made.

Millions have been wasted in useless projects.  

Hopefully when the new AD is appointed, we can have some dialogue about what is needed to improve things and get the airport into the 21st century.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

People with absolutely no aeronautical knowledge (despite what they say) have made decisions about what the airport needs to operate. Ask any qualified aviation professional who has spoken to them - you can't kid a kidder as they say. You are right, they spend millions on what they think is needed, rather than asking and finding out what really is.Even when they are told, they don't listen.

The airport is there as a vital transport link. Surely the aim should be make improvements that will allow aircraft to land in conditions that at the moment legally prohibit approaches to be made.

Millions have been wasted in useless projects.  

But that's because those people weren't recruited to run the Airport, they were recruited to spend money.  Reynolds was originally brought over explicitly to justify the decision to extend the runway - a decision already made for reasons no one now claims to remember.  Coming up with more capital projects whether they were needed or not or implemented correctly or not was just continuing in the same mode.

The purpose of a system is what it does.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that's because those people weren't recruited to run the Airport, they were recruited to spend money.  Reynolds was originally brought over explicitly to justify the decision to extend the runway - a decision already made for reasons no one now claims to remember.  Coming up with more capital projects whether they were needed or not or implemented correctly or not was just continuing in the same mode.

The purpose of a system is what it does.

Time it changed don't you think?. Hopefully with someone in Tynwald who knows what he's talking about regarding aircraft operation, and who has the ear of plenty of others who do too, things will improve.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Reynolds was originally brought over explicitly to justify the decision to extend the runway - a decision already made for reasons no one now claims to remember.  

that's easy, sponge bob tash pants didn't care what the cost was as long as it was bigger and better than Jersey/Guernsey had.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Time it changed don't you think?. Hopefully with someone in Tynwald who knows what he's talking about regarding aircraft operation, and who has the ear of plenty of others who do too, things will improve.

We had someone in Tynwald before NIgel arrived, who knew about aircraft movement and operations. But he didn't last long enough to make a difference, with anything actually.

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Any idea who assessed 03 / 21 as needing resurfacing ? ...... Summer lots of moist air from the SW I know lets close the SW runway!

43 minutes ago, asitis said:

Any idea who assessed 03 / 21 as needing resurfacing ? ...... Summer lots of moist air from the SW I know lets close the SW runway!

You only tend to need 21/03 when the wind is out of crosswind limits for 26/08. That's a rare occurrence, but it does happen.

To be honest, not many pilots would feel comfortable using it for landing anyway, just for take off.

The days of switching the autopilot of and poling the aircraft around by hand are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. There is no instrument approach to either end of that runway, it's a hand flying visual jobber. It has a much higher minimum decent height than 26/08 because of that.

My opinion is that it's not really needed - the focus should be on upgrading the lights and facilitites on 08/26 to allow for low visibility operations.