Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I hear on the bush telegraph  that the Corpy don't have a cherry picker  that stretches high enough to commission the new promenade street lights ,  so how they are going to be Maintained  or lights replaced is anyones guess ,

Scissor lift horse tram.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, snowman said:

Loganair ending Heathrow. Last flight 10 Aug. 

Government subsidy run out ?

Eugh. Disastrous for the Island again. Relying on a maximum of 2 Gatwick flights a day for our London traffic. With no early flight some days (and I wouldn't call getting to London (Crawley) at 11am early either).

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Eugh. Disastrous for the Island again. Relying on a maximum of 2 Gatwick flights a day for our London traffic. With no early flight some days (and I wouldn't call getting to London (Crawley) at 11am early either).

How will the Island cope without a Heathrow flight?  It's been going for . . .months!

We had the same hysteria when the island lost a permanent LHR service and nothing much happened.  This Heathrow flights were only ever a switch from London City which lost nearly all its services and so became useless for interchanging and as business picks up I assume that an LCY service will resume.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

How will the Island cope without a Heathrow flight?  It's been going for . . .months!

We had the same hysteria when the island lost a permanent LHR service and nothing much happened.  This Heathrow flights were only ever a switch from London City which lost nearly all its services and so became useless for interchanging and as business picks up I assume that an LCY service will resume.

The decision by BA to abandon LCY predates Covid.

Yes Logan picked it up and transferred to LHR for the reasons you’ve stated. There probably isn’t enough London traffic at present to justify rotations to two London Airports and one, 180 seater, rotation a day is possibly over supply.

Its going to take at least 18 months for LCY and DUB and remoter/less popular routes to stabilise.

For me, LGW is fine as I’m probably transferring to budget European short haul. For London, for work or short stay, LCY is much better than LHR, even for European business short haul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The decision by BA to abandon LCY predates Covid.

Yes Logan picked it up and transferred to LHR for the reasons you’ve stated. There probably isn’t enough London traffic at present to justify rotations to two London Airports and one, 180 seater, rotation a day is possibly over supply.

Its going to take at least 18 months for LCY and DUB and remoter/less popular routes to stabilise.

For me, LGW is fine as I’m probably transferring to budget European short haul. For London, for work or short stay, LCY is much better than LHR, even for European business short haul.

Wasn't the LCY route being subsidised by business (Poker Stars, I think)  at one point? 

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Microgaming

Bingo. To the tune of 1m/Yr as I recall....

The problem is that nobody wants to pay £500 return to fly to or from London and Loganairs planes aren't useful for City. When they used the ATR there they often had to unload luggage or trolleys in order to take off from City.

Loganair are just continuing their greedy path of the last 12mo whilst taking circa £8m from the IOM Gov in the meantime.

Be interesting to see who is awarded PTS contract in next few weeks...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snowman said:

Which is a 65% load factor on a Loganair E145 based on 28 flights in the month (think its actually less) and at their fares I imagine they're just about covering their nut before any subsidies or support come in to play.

Edited by NoTailT

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Bingo. To the tune of 1m/Yr as I recall....

The problem is that nobody wants to pay £500 return to fly to or from London and Loganairs planes aren't useful for City. When they used the ATR there they often had to unload luggage or trolleys in order to take off from City.

Loganair are just continuing their greedy path of the last 12mo whilst taking circa £8m from the IOM Gov in the meantime.

Be interesting to see who is awarded PTS contract in next few weeks...

Why wouldn't it be Loganair next time around?

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why wouldn't it be Loganair next time around?

Because they were awarded it in October last year and it got disputed. Loganair have passed Gov off a LOT over the last number of months.

Now European travel is opening up the UK domestics are cancelling capacity because staycations are calming off. Brian Kelly and ORTG will be lobbying his Gov pals to award it to Aurigny. Eastern will probably be on the pitch too. Even easyJet might decide they fancy a bit of it now, though doubtful.

Edited by NoTailT

39 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Because they were awarded it in October last year and it got disputed. Loganair have passed Gov off a LOT over the last number of months.

Now European travel is opening up the UK domestics are cancelling capacity because staycations are calming off. Brian Kelly and ORTG will be lobbying his Gov pals to award it to Aurigny. Eastern will probably be on the pitch too. Even easyJet might decide they fancy a bit of it now, though doubtful.

What was the dispute?

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What was the dispute?

Don't know the full details, but other operators disputed the outcome and the AGs office agreed with them and overturned it.

Something to do with Jez Spake manipulating the scoring and creating doubt regarding financial stability of the other operators amongst the panel which caused them to be scored down despite offering lower fares to DHSC than Loganair were.

50% of the points in the tender are price based as I recall. The rest is operational, aircraft types etc. Historically with Flybe, ORTG handled all of the bookings and customer facing work. Loganair winning the tender took that away and cost Manx jobs by controlling it in-house. Another smart move by Enterprise. But Brian Kelly and the now former enterprise minister are old grammar school pals and he kicked up a fuss too. All very messy.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Don't know the full details, but other operators disputed the outcome and the AGs office agreed with them and overturned it.

Something to do with Jez Spake manipulating the scoring and creating doubt regarding financial stability of the other operators amongst the panel which caused them to be scored down despite offering lower fares to DHSC than Loganair were.

50% of the points in the tender are price based as I recall. The rest is operational, aircraft types etc. Historically with Flybe, ORTG handled all of the bookings and customer facing work. Loganair winning the tender took that away and cost Manx jobs by controlling it in-house. Another smart move by Enterprise. But Brian Kelly and the now former enterprise minister are old grammar school pals and he kicked up a fuss too. All very messy.

Sour grapes from a certain corner then?