Airport.

Billy kettlefish

22 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

All part of the great DOI plan. 

Build on the current car park, then if/when things recover there will be a shortage of car parking so the only answer will be to build a super duper 6 storey car park to replace the ones lost. Then we can have a skyway into the upper floor of the terminal. 

Should all be possible for about £48m

Way too cheap. Go back and do your sums again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Sorry, I should have said that is just consultancy fees. 

I'll need to add another £5.95 for a calculator if you would like estimated costings 

Don't forget the £5,000 delivery charge from No Trading Shell Company Office Supplies Ltd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apple said:

They will need something when the new Dandara estate is up and running. Hope is's an Aldi.

The old Whitestone Garage site is talked about being a Shoprite, though it all seems a bit vague and I suspect they're not really convinced about the economic case.  Commissioners are worried that it would mean people not using the new bypass [pause for hollow laughter].

45 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Don't forget how much security has changed since that was built. CAA and others dictate those rules. No compliance = no flights. Classic Red Queen situation ~ you have to run just to stay where you are. Stop and you die. Or in this case slowly wither away.  

Well that's what Reynolds kept claiming when asked to justify whatever this year's new splurge was, but when anyone remotely knowledgeable asked to be pointed to the actual regulations, there was silence.  And of course when the new radar which had to be fitted straight away didn't quite work, it turned out that the UK CAA were quite happy to let us chug along with the old one for nearly a decade.  Funny that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I think the airport car parks are a 'key economic indicator'. We used to travel a lot - police stuff, leisure, visiting and the whole Beckii thing. The car parks were always busy. Even before Covid there was a marked decline in use, and then folk were further disenfranchised by the stasi like enforcement of the drop off lane after people refused to pay the pound for picking up visitors.

The swathes of.empty land there isn't a good look. I hope things pick up but can't see it any time soon. Any views?

I think this is the way of the future now though. There won't be as many budget airlines moving forwards as the trend seems to be to discourage short haul air travel for climate reasons, so if airlines can't make their money doing full shuttle runs to Europe then they won't be able to offer the island cheap fares for half full planes.

I don't see our connectivity getting any better from here on in. The car parks will be a wasted resource so just build some retail units on there to service the local area and make some use of it. Our one flight a day to three regional airports will be fine with just a small car park lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, finlo said:

The whole island is overgrown with weeds you'd think there was a global shortage of Roundup!

I thought is was just me that had noticed this.

The damage these weeds are causing to the roads and footpaths is shocking.

Even the Veranda on the Mountain Rd is cracking at the edges of the tarmac because of what can only be described as small bushes growing out of the gaps between road and kerb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Commissioners are worried that it would mean people not using the new bypass [pause for hollow laughter].

FFS, have they even considered what is going to encourage the traffic coming in via poachers pocket to turn right instead of going to St Marks, then ignore the left at Whitestone roundabout and Douglas road, and go straight on to join the bypass at Balthane corner ! Just a fucking excuse so Dandara could build 350 houses on green fields aided and abetted by our utter dimwit of an MHK.

Oh and if they are going to build a supermarket on the very road where all the supposed traffic problems were, in whose world does that make any sense, surely just attracts the traffic back. Developers pockets well lined again solving a problem which didn't really exist in the first place ! 

Edited by asitis
  • Like 8

Silly games being played.

If its being cancelled at such a strategic time, do it out of your own pockets rather than ours you selfish bastards.

Loganair seems to have kept afloat with subsidies the last year or so. Now they're getting pissy at competition starting again.

Screenshot_20210731-195143_LinkedIn.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Looks like the new Flybe will be launching next year. They're recruiting for various positions (adverts on LinkedIn). 

Might be nice to have an airline with a clean slate serving the island, IF they have learned the lessons of the previous Flybe. 

Problem is PTS.

For the first time ever they're handing out a FIVE year contract for it. Which is a bit brave...

Flybe won't be able to sustain Liverpool without PTS. Always was the case.

• Like 1