Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The fare's cheap, but the fare's only half the story. How much for a bag bigger than a postage stamp? I was down the airport the other day, the people being charged £25 a bag at the gate found that out the hard way.

Why you don't show the Gatwick fares? For the end of Nov I was quoted £280 return, before bags!

Anyone being charged at the gate is an idiot.  It is very clear at ever stage of booking and checking what the baggage requirements are 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Flights are cheaper than they have ever been. I remember paying far more than your quoted £280 back in the “glory days” of Manx Airlines so probably the equivalent of more than £600 now

Out Thur 2 Dec, back the Sunday, £278.98 fare, another £80 for a hold bag. Emirates will get you from London to Dubai for that.

Air fares haven't risen along with inflation, so fares back in the day are irrelevant. I was paying £1000 to get to Australia in the 80s and it's still £1000 now.

Maybe people being charged are "idiots", but EasyJet only changed the rules in Feb to try and rinse people some more. None of them were taking the piss, they had bags that EasyJet were happy to accept a few months ago and now want you to pay for. If they'd checked them in online it'd still be £15 a bag, or alternatively £15 for a speedy boarding pass that would let them on with it.

If we're relying on EasyJet for essential transport links we're screwed.

As it happens I went Loganair and, with a bag, it was a tenner cheaper.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Out Thur 2 Dec, back the Sunday, £278.98 fare, another £80 for a hold bag. Emirates will get you from London to Dubai for that.

Air fares haven't risen along with inflation, so fares back in the day are irrelevant. I was paying £1000 to get to Australia in the 80s and it's still £1000 now.

Maybe people being charged are "idiots", but EasyJet only changed the rules in Feb to try and rinse people some more. None of them were taking the piss, they had bags that EasyJet were happy to accept a few months ago and now want you to pay for. If they'd checked them in online it'd still be £15 a bag, or alternatively £15 for a speedy boarding pass that would let them on with it.

Sunday evening in December is always going to be expensive.  It’s called supply and demand.  Move your journey forward a day and it’s less than £50 return.  Still go on the Thursday but come back Monday morning and you save £150.

Claiming we are being ripped off is just stupid.

05FF49FB-CF77-44BC-B43F-9F37CAD8B4E4.png

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

As it happens I went Loganair and, with a bag, it was a tenner cheaper.

It's actually £7 one way or £16 for 3-6 passengers for the trolley cabin bag

37 minutes ago, snowman said:

It's actually £7 one way or £16 for 3-6 passengers for the trolley cabin bag

I thought they'd abolished that, it certainly wasn't showing as a booking option when I was pricing up my last trip, it was either hold luggage or a speedy boarding seat. Maybe it was just well hidden.

I was normally happy to pay that before as it meant I could take liquids with me.

All the silly rules are why I think EasyJet are rip-off merchants. They're designed to trip people up. Buyer beware and all that, I just don't like it as a business model.

I'm still more worried about the idea of privatising the airport though. Seeing what Liverpool and Manchester charge for, say, drop-off, it'll get a whole more expensive. 

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Alf's answer to everything is privatise. I'm yet to see a privatised monopoly that's cheaper than a state-owned one. 

Teesside went back into government ownership and have better relations with airlines now than they ever did under Peel Holdings, who ran the place into the ground.

No doubt Alf will come up with a Manx solution to Manx problems and just shovel more cash at John Whittaker.

Peel Holdings should be the last company on earth we should hand over to run our airport. Take a look at LPL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

What makes you say that? Plenty of interim positions become permanent.  He will be as entitled as anyone else to apply for the position when advertised and should have a head start.

Because Paul Clarkson must be about 62 (started secondary school in 1970) and according to what someone else posted retired in 2018[1].  Which makes sense as that was when Spake was appointed to the job (I get the impression he is now definitely gone).  So this someone seen as a safe pair of hands asked to come back to steady a deserted ship, not someone who is going to spend years fixing a badly-run institution.

[1]  Which looks a bit young, but he spent his early airport career as an airport fireman which might alter retirement entitlement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I thought they'd abolished that, it certainly wasn't showing as a booking option when I was pricing up my last trip, it was either hold luggage or a speedy boarding seat. Maybe it was just well hidden.

I was normally happy to pay that before as it meant I could take liquids with me.

All the silly rules are why I think EasyJet are rip-off merchants. They're designed to trip people up. Buyer beware and all that, I just don't like it as a business model.

I'm still more worried about the idea of privatising the airport though. Seeing what Liverpool and Manchester charge for, say, drop-off, it'll get a whole more expensive. 

No it isnt abolished

It's on manage bookings

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

No it isnt abolished

It's on manage bookings

Yes, it is still there and is called 'Hands Free'. It is a bit of a rigmarole to book, as it is treated as an onboard extra, such as pre-buying food/drink, but it works for me, rather than paying £15 for a full blown Hold Bag.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Surprising they brought back a bloke who left in 2018. I wonder how much they’ve had to pay him to induce him to come back? The role is only interim as well so he clearly has no chance of bagging it long term either. It’s insulting really. 

He won’t need a work permit.

5 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Alf's answer to everything is privatise. I'm yet to see a privatised monopoly that's cheaper than a state-owned one. 

Teesside went back into government ownership and have better relations with airlines now than they ever did under Peel Holdings, who ran the place into the ground.

No doubt Alf will come up with a Manx solution to Manx problems and just shovel more cash at John Whittaker.

We must not privatise the airport it is too important for government to be held to ransom by another private enterprise !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because Paul Clarkson must be about 62 (started secondary school in 1970) and according to what someone else posted retired in 2018[1].  Which makes sense as that was when Spake was appointed to the job (I get the impression he is now definitely gone).  So this someone seen as a safe pair of hands asked to come back to steady a deserted ship, not someone who is going to spend years fixing a badly-run institution.

[1]  Which looks a bit young, but he spent his early airport career as an airport fireman which might alter retirement entitlement.

Nope. Saw him looking proprietorial at the Airport on Monday.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Aren't IOMG obliged to have an airport director or named equivalent for legal CAA reasons and they must be able to demonstrate a minimum number of years in an operational role? 

Probably and I believe they have to be sane !

• Haha 3