Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I was really mocking the these dreadfully-written press releases with their made-up, stilted 'quotes'.  You do wonder if the politicians have even been allowed to read them before they go out, though.  Given the way that Rob wasn't even invited to the TTMA fiasco, maybe not.  If it had been forced through, no doubt a press release would have gone out with him 'saying' how splendid it was.

On that TTMA point it says it all how the MHK with responsibility for motorsport allegedly wasnt invited . But as you say maybe it was the agenda to force something through had something to do with it. Glad they failed and miserably . Bunch of amateurs getting paid professional rates !! .  

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I was really mocking the these dreadfully-written press releases with their made-up, stilted 'quotes'.  You do wonder if the politicians have even been allowed to read them before they go out, though.  Given the way that Rob wasn't even invited to the TTMA fiasco, maybe not.  If it had been forced through, no doubt a press release would have gone out with him 'saying' how splendid it was.

The MHK could of course go public and say they did not actually utter those words.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, Stu Peters said:

Yes, but we like the Germans now - I have three German pals here! Is there a modern Churchill? Nigel Farage maybe? I suspect there's much truth in your assertion about the difficulty of effecting change. I'm convinced there is the will, it's the way that is more of a challenge. But then that'd be me accused of whining again.

The island doesn’t need a Churchill, other for his quality of engaging and inspirational oratory. He was an incredible human being, and I’d encourage anyone to read Andrew Roberts’ Churchill: Walking with Destiny to appreciate the full scale of his life.

But he was a situational leader. He is ultimately measured, quite rightly, for his leadership during WW2. His performance in the first war was patchy at best.

And ultimately, you can’t run the island at the behest of one person. The place needs a collective and measured cabinet who will actually lead, and have the courage and conviction to make some very hard decisions in respect of the scope and scale of government at all levels, and also in terms of repositioning the island’s ambitions to a more realistic tempo. Regrettably, other than for the very rich, it has just become a nice and safe place to live, something I said to Annie Craine was likely to happen over a decade ago unless the government acted swiftly and Ben back then.

perhaps it is time to sack off the politics and start running the place like a business?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

And ultimately, you can’t run the island at the behest of one person. The place needs a collective and measured cabinet who will actually lead, and have the courage and conviction to make some very hard decisions in respect of the scope and scale of government at all levels, and also in terms of repositioning the island’s ambitions to a more realistic tempo. Regrettably, other than for the very rich, it has just become a nice and safe place to live, something I said to Annie Craine was likely to happen over a decade ago unless the government acted swiftly and Ben back then.

perhaps it is time to sack off the politics and start running the place like a business?

Ultimately the Island is run by a tightly-knit cabal of senior civil servants who make all the major decisions then pass them down to Ministers for them to pass off as their own. 

One advantage to running the place like a business would be slashing away all the bloat, waste and excesses of the current structure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, snowman said:

News from the budget:

£3 million for schemes to enhance passenger facilities at the Sea Terminal, catering for 'international arrivals' at Ronaldsway Airport and a passports and immigration system.

Why does the airport need more money to cater for international arrivals? They already have HMRC and outsourced security down there.... or at least they should. If not, why not?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, snowman said:

News from the budget:

£3 million for schemes to enhance passenger facilities at the Sea Terminal, catering for 'international arrivals' at Ronaldsway Airport and a passports and immigration system.

This is clearly aligned to the 500,000 visitors a year strategy and will be essential when  the daily services to the global hubs such as Dubai, Istanbul and Frankfurt all start.........

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

This is clearly aligned to the 500,000 visitors a year strategy and will be essential when  the daily services to the global hubs such as Dubai, Istanbul and Frankfurt all start.........

I don't know how we are coping with the 2 million plus passengers per annum as it is !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

quote: 'Fundamental lack' of tourist accommodation on Island

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/fundamental-lack-of-tourist-accommodation-on-island/

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Jez apparently wants a New York link within 3 years.

Must be to build the TSA preclearance in advance of this never happening.

Yes but he's not right in the head is he ! Not to mention we can't even sort out unseizing the baggage trolley wheels !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

We struggle to connect to the global hub of London....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2