Airport.

Billy kettlefish

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Was at the Airport last night. All car parks absolutely rammed. This included cars park outside of bays and on verges etc. Virtually impossible to even manoeuvre.

Clearly people are taking advantage of the free situation and just parking there for weeks. I am surprised the Taxi drivers/operators are not unhappy about this as many people use a taxi if they are away for more than a few days as it use to be cheaper to do that.

Surely it just needed new barriers to be fitted. How can something so simple take years to fix.

Firstly they need to appoint a DOI Car Park Management Systems Manager. Once appointed they will need to commission a review of options by appointing external consultants. Then the options will need to go out to public consultation for at least 3 months. Once the results are in they will have to be compiled, analysed anything that doesn't fit the DOI purpose will need to be erased. If successful the results will then go to a DOI political member for consideration before they pass it up to the Minister who will then decide whether to ask for a business case to be made to Treasury.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, Gladys said:

Ooh, I recognise him off of the telly, he'll be great in the job and think of the publicity for the IOM!

Only slight drawback is that he is dead, but does that really matter?

He was actually based at HMS Valkyrie for a while and spent a good portion of his free time treading the boards at the Gaiety and helping to establish The Service Players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Valkyrie_(shore_establishment)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Was at the Airport last night. All car parks absolutely rammed. This included cars park outside of bays and on verges etc. Virtually impossible to even manoeuvre.

Clearly people are taking advantage of the free situation and just parking there for weeks. I am surprised the Taxi drivers/operators are not unhappy about this as many people use a taxi if they are away for more than a few days as it use to be cheaper to do that.

Surely it just needed new barriers to be fitted. How can something so simple take years to fix.

Don't forget its half term and some families have not been off the Rock for 2 years , if ever flying from Ronaldsway  need to be slick  user friendly  and hassle free  it"s  now  I hear at times there were not enough seats for people to sit , and still problems in the security area ,  is anybody actually in charge down there !

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Firstly they need to appoint a DOI Car Park Management Systems Manager. Once appointed they will need to commission a review of options by appointing external consultants. Then the options will need to go out to public consultation for at least 3 months. Once the results are in they will have to be compiled, analysed anything that doesn't fit the DOI purpose will need to be erased. If successful the results will then go to a DOI political member for consideration before they pass it up to the Minister who will then decide whether to ask for a business case to be made to Treasury.

What we have to go through all the hoops before we buy a new system that will probably worse than the old one. Surely to goodness you could just get a contractor in to overhaul the old one. There cant be that much to a parking system. Its not like new, untried technology is it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Don't forget its half term and some families have not been off the Rock for 2 years , if ever flying from Ronaldsway  need to be slick  user friendly  and hassle free  it"s  now  I hear at times there were not enough seats for people to sit , and still problems in the security area ,  is anybody actually in charge down there !

That's a good point. However, even in half terms I never saw both car parks rammed like they are now.

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What we have to go through all the hoops before we buy a new system that will probably worse than the old one. Surely to goodness you could just get a contractor in to overhaul the old one. There cant be that much to a parking system. Its not like new, untried technology is it?

Even appoint a private operator to run the car park. 

Car parks, is it something Government should even be involved with? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Even appoint a private operator to run the car park. 

Car parks, is it something Government should even be involved with? 

Yes, we pay to maintain them while someone else creams off any profit. I'm surprised the government hasn't thought of this already.

After all privatised industries have been costing the tax payer millions while making millions in profit for private companies for years in the UK. That's where they normally look for their inspiration to avoid having to come up with any ideas themselves. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, we pay to maintain them while someone else creams off any profit. I'm surprised the government hasn't thought of this already.

After all privatised industries have been costing the tax payer millions while making millions in profit for private companies for years in the UK. That's where they normally look for their inspiration to avoid having to come up with any ideas themselves. 

Well DOI are doing such a splendid job of maintaining and operating the airport car parks themselves...

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If contracts are set up properly, with competent service providers and then properly managed, they can be more efficient than trying to do things 'in house'. If you have limited time contracts then you can bin your contractor. Last thing we want is more government employees (a good percentage of which are usually off sick and costing us millions)

You are massively over generalising again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

If contracts are set up properly, with competent service providers and then properly managed, they can be more efficient than trying to do things 'in house'. If you have limited time contracts then you can bin your contractor. Last thing we want is more government employees (a good percentage of which are usually off sick and costing us millions)

You are massively over generalising again.

Dream on fella. The reality in practice is somewhat different than your rose tinted theory.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Dream on fella. The reality in practice is somewhat different than your rose tinted theory.

Not in my experience. Its reality and not a dream. I have employed contractors all my career.

Yes, not always successfully in practice. However the vast majority have been. Its not that difficult. You specify the service you want (clearly and unambiguously) and prepare a contract the makes clear the scope of the service. You go out to tender. You award and then monitor the contract. If they don't perform to the contract you terminate them and get someone else.

Employing staff direct? well, in my experience, that's much more complex and fraught with risks. 

Your views (on most things)  seem to herald from the 70's

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not in my experience. Its reality and not a dream. I have employed contractors all my career.

Yes, not always successfully in practice. However the vast majority have been. Its not that difficult. You specify the service you want (clearly and unambiguously) and prepare a contract the makes clear the scope of the service. You go out to tender. You award and then monitor the contract. If they don't perform to the contract you terminate them and get someone else.

Employing staff direct? well, in my experience, that's much more complex and fraught with risks. 

Your views (on most things)  seem to herald from the 70's

The problem here is contracts, Government contracts you can invariably drive a horse and cart through, the amount of in house litigation is remarkable. We either sign shit contracts, or we issue and then sign shit contracts !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

The problem here is contracts, Government contracts you can invariably drive a horse and cart through, the amount of in house litigation is remarkable. We either sign shit contracts, or we issue and then sign shit contracts !

I don't know anything about Government contracts, but yes I understand what you are saying.

What I am saying, and the foolandhismoney doesn't get it, and I think you are agreeing with, is, there is nothing wrong with the concept.

• Like 1