Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

He's making it up. He was probably just asked to do the job he was being paid to do.... but the state of the airport is the proof that he wasn't doing his job, either because he didn't know how or because he couldn't be arsed and was spending his time on his other commercial activities. Actually the consultants that he engaged are probably testament to the fact that he wasn't capable of handling it. 

"Found out...."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

In government they often call that bullying.

It's pretty well known that - for all her foibles - the Ruski fucked Reynolds over. A so called mate who did so much for him and he fucked her for himself.

Despite when he was struggling and somewhat lonely during his mental health issues and she used to go and see him near nightly to make sure he was okay.

He's a leach and I'm glad he's gone.

Edited by NoTailT

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

It's pretty well known that - for all her foibles - the Ruski fucked Reynolds over. A so called mate who did so much for him and he fucked her for himself.

Despite when he was struggling and somewhat lonely during his mental health issues and she used to go and see him near nightly to make sure he was okay.

He's a leach and I'm glad he's gone.

"did so much for him" yes, including employing him without the appropriate qualification to perform the role. Caveat emptor.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lcd said:

"did so much for him" yes, including employing him without the appropriate qualification to perform the role. Caveat emptor.....

Question is, how does this happen when there's public money involved?

Misappropriation of public monies = corruption.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Didn't realise you were new to the Isle of Man?

I'm not but it's a sad state of affairs when it's the standard response.

If somebody was overseeing Reynolds and Spake properly and they were answerable to that person, that person should have questioned why Spake was being given a role without holding appropriate qualifications, surely?

So who were the CEO and political members asleep on the job for the period in question and why didn't they question a, "jobs for unqualified mates" appointment?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Question is, how does this happen when there's public money involved?

Misappropriation of public monies = corruption.

Surely this is a Cabinet or Personnel office appointment ,I don't think Ms Reynolds can employ or sack anybody on a whim   if it turns out he does not have the required experience or  required qualification   for the job  for the job  then someone in Tynwald needs to call for an enquiry ,

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Surely this is a Cabinet or Personnel office appointment ,I don't think Ms Reynolds can employ or sack anybody on a whim   if it turns out he does not have the required experience or  required qualification   for the job  for the job  then someone in Tynwald needs to call for an enquiry ,

Should also be asking questions as to why Head of Airport Security is outsourced to a third party company (not even registered in IOM as I understand).  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Should also be asking questions as to why Head of Airport Security is outsourced to a third party company (not even registered in IOM as I understand).  

Jules Lark
@voyagerjules
Security consultant and unintentional gypsy. Mother of dragons, recovering monogymist. Seeks laughter and kindness to relieve the stress!

It's outsourced as we didn't have an on island "mother of dragons"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If somebody was overseeing Reynolds and Spake properly and they were answerable to that person, that person should have questioned why Spake was being given a role without holding appropriate qualifications, surely?

So who were the CEO and political members asleep on the job for the period in question and why didn't they question a, "jobs for unqualified mates" appointment?

It's not as if it wasn't obvious either.  When Spake's appointment was announced, I pointed out that there was no evidence of his being involved in running airports that I could find.  You'd expect appointment press releases, trade paper interviews and so on - there wasn't even a LinkedIn.  A few vague connections to business ventures in Russia, but nothing relevant.  Even if the info wasn't publicly available, you would have thought it would have been mentioned in the press release.  Even Reynolds had had a CV, though it was pretty unimpressive.

You would have though a half-way competent HR Department would have flagged this up as well.  And of course they should have been checking if someone had the required paper qualifications to do the job, that's a big part of their job.

The CEO was useless of course (and appointed for that reason) and no doubt politicians would have been told it was nothing to do with them - and meekly accepted this.  It looks like appointing mates of existing management or on a whim is the only qualification now required and the culture of the civil service now encourages this.  Both Cabinet Office and Treasury seem to have a hands-off approach and incompetence seems to have moved from being acceptable to being required.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not as if it wasn't obvious either.  When Spake's appointment was announced, I pointed out that there was no evidence of his being involved in running airports that I could find.  You'd expect appointment press releases, trade paper interviews and so on - there wasn't even a LinkedIn.  A few vague connections to business ventures in Russia, but nothing relevant.  Even if the info wasn't publicly available, you would have thought it would have been mentioned in the press release.  Even Reynolds had had a CV, though it was pretty unimpressive.

You would have though a half-way competent HR Department would have flagged this up as well.  And of course they should have been checking if someone had the required paper qualifications to do the job, that's a big part of their job.

The CEO was useless of course (and appointed for that reason) and no doubt politicians would have been told it was nothing to do with them - and meekly accepted this.  It looks like appointing mates of existing management or on a whim is the only qualification now required and the culture of the civil service now encourages this.  Both Cabinet Office and Treasury seem to have a hands-off approach and incompetence seems to have moved from being acceptable to being required.

I thought Rob had political responsibility  for the airport ,perhaps he was asleep at the wheel as well 

On 3/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, Gladys said:

I think we will have to agree to differ on a point of semantics.  The point is there is a contract and if he left without proper notice, he has breached it or do we rip up government contracts when they don't suit?  Apart from any claim  or counterclaim, there is of course the issue of references.  If he doesn't leave on agreed terms he has no say on the reference, but DOI would probably only give a confirmation of employment.

The fact remains, you can't leave immediately (in contract terms) unless you have in mind a constructive dismissal claim, or have agreed a waiver of the notice period, or you consider yourself bombproof. 

He may have saved his annual leave and issued it as part of resigning