Airport.

Billy kettlefish

31 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

You are correct about my interest and part of my observation is that they weren't filling in the holes because they spent so much time trying to dig out one of the potholes with the wrong equipment.. I see, when I went past today that they have started to  attempt to do do the same with the other myriad of holes. A job that I would expect us to do in one day is now well into the second day.

Hey ho and all that, what will be will be. No more comments I'm going for my afternoon nap. lol.

Many people have attacked holes with poorly prepared and under strength equipment

On 3/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, asitis said:

Sadly now Mr Clarkson is long term sick I understand. The airport is rudderless LOL ! probably an improvement !

"No accountable manager at the airport"

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-accountable-manager-at-the-airport/

"The interim chief executive is the licence holder..."

So he must be back at work now.

7 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

think they mean the interim CEO of the DOI  is the licence holder

Ah, thanks. So that is Emily Curphey. She may be the designated licence holder, but does she know anything about aviation - e.g. rules, regulations, safety, landing lights?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Ah, thanks. So that is Emily Curphey. She may be the designated licence holder, but does she know anything about aviation - e.g. rules, regulations, safety, landing lights?

Indeed. I hope she understands exactly what goes with that position...... liability wise?

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I hope she understands exactly what goes with that position...... liability wise?

Ah, the naivety of youth. When you get to be as old as me, you will realise that within the Isle of Man Government there is no personal liability whatsoever. They have all risen above liability for their actions, and, like the Pope, have attained infinite infallibility.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Ah, the naivety of youth. When you get to be as old as me, you will realise that within the Isle of Man Government there is no personal liability whatsoever. They have all risen above liability for their actions, and, like the Pope, have attained infinite infallibility.

Pointless having a licence then.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Pointless having a licence then.

I started to take a look at the CAA requirements for an airfield licence holder, but got a little bored.

Licences are required in may fields, of course - e.g. a 747 pilot has to be licenced, and is required to have attained a certain skill level.

There are people who are licenced in the sense that they are held responsible when things go wrong.

But you are correct. In this case Curphey has no technical competence, and she will also never be held responsible for any failures. So the name on the licence might just as well be a DoI office cleaner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

That isn't a handicap the other two didn't either ! Why do you think we are in the state we are in !

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 3

On 3/14/2022 at 7:33 AM, Derek Flint said:

London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Belfast.

if those few were done well, then it is pretty easy to get to any other point.

Dublin comes back this month, and Dublin's far better connected than either of the Belfast airports. I'd also say Edinburgh is better connected than Glasgow too, though there's not much in it.

Belfast City won't come back unless it is underwritten- both Flybe and Eastern tried, but couldn’t compete with EasyJet's  capacity-dumping on a weekend- and I'm not sure that I'd underwrite a Belfast flight if Dublin can run commercially.

Loganair seem to be charging about £80-£100 each way to London. With bags, that's about the same or even a bit less than EasyJet, and for consistent times. It'll be interesting to see how much EasyJet's Gatwick fares drop now there's competition again.

As always, I love the fact Loganair don't charge extra for bags- the price you see is the price you pay. But it really does count against them in comparison with EasyJet's low headline fares and ludicrous baggage fees.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Dublin comes back this month, and Dublin's far better connected than either of the Belfast airports. I'd also say Edinburgh is better connected than Glasgow too, though there's not much in it.

Belfast City won't come back unless it is underwritten- both Flybe and Eastern tried, but couldn’t compete with EasyJet's  capacity-dumping on a weekend- and I'm not sure that I'd underwrite a Belfast flight if Dublin can run commercially.

Loganair seem to be charging about £80-£100 each way to London. With bags, that's about the same or even a bit less than EasyJet, and for consistent times. It'll be interesting to see how much EasyJet's Gatwick fares drop now there's competition again.

As always, I love the fact Loganair don't charge extra for bags- the price you see is the price you pay. But it really does count against them in comparison with EasyJet's low headline fares and ludicrous baggage fees.

You have to think about majority of travellers to London. Most of them don't take check in bags, especially not to City.

I've long said that Loganair would benefit dropping the free bag nonsense if it meant they could genuinely reduce fares.

There's many £20 fares to/from London with Easyjet right now in the near future.