Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Just googled the manufacturers of the ones supplied to our Airport. Still active company , based in Spain , but no current prices that I could find . But what the hell , they have lost well over 400k and counting so there not even going to cost what they are losing monthly . 

Edited by Numbnuts

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its certainly not rocket science it has been out of action for a ridiculous amount of time now.

Any ideas as to how long ?? Did they shut them down at Covid vacination time or had they broke by then ? I get it you might not know. Again someone on here will no doubt have the answer. No good asking the DOI or management down there ! . probably redact the answer if they could even find one. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Any ideas as to how long ?? Did they shut them down at Covid vacination time or had they broke by then ? I get it you might not know. Again someone on here will no doubt have the answer. No good asking the DOI or management down there ! . probably redact the answer if they could even find one. 

It was shut early doors COVID when full lockdowns came.

The car park itself is a mess, disgusting.

The whole place is neglected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

That must make DBC pretty bad then, seeing as they  made such a mess of Chester Street that DOI took it back off them 🤣🤣

To be exact they gave it back rather than the DoI taking it back.  The DoI were demanding that DBC pay them the same rental despite the pandemic meaning people weren't coming into Douglas the same way. 

Presumably the DoI got the same reduced takings, but it's no doubt meant that they can set up a new parking division with lots of jobs for mates and strategy meetings to be had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I seem to remember they suspended charging at the start of the pandemic, but were already having some problems.  Again you would expect they would have had plenty of time to organise repairs or replacement, but the airport management never seems to have much interest in managing the airport.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I have to say that the times I have used Shaw's Brow car park the process of in/out and paying is painless. Not sure if the entire thing is automatic or if there's a little man sitting in a shed pressing buttons or not.... whatever, it seems to work.

None of it is complicated. It's car park barrier equipment. There must be tens of thousands of them across the British Isles. 

But because the DOI is involved it has to be a thousand times more difficult, complicated and expensive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t even have to fix it. One temp on £12 an hour could rake in £50K in one month. And they still can’t be arsed. 

Indeed. Or I'm pretty sure Garage Gate & Door Co on the Island could have had it fixed promptly, even if it needs replacing.

There is no bloody excuse.

£12/hr too much. Gov recently handed a temps contract to an agency that only won because they were paying people less per hour and it was less than living wage.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t even have to fix it. One temp on £12 an hour could rake in £50K in one month. And they still can’t be arsed. 

There is no excuse . Zero reason why replacement equipment couldn't be sourced and fitted in what in effect is two years right ? DOI just dont give a toss and it says it all whats wrong with IOMG CS . 

And budgets cant be blamed as it would be totally self financed inside 2 months . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They could give me the contract on a revenue share. You could take 50% commission on what you take at the gate and still make £300K a year for standing in a carpark with a card reader. You wouldn’t need more than two people to run it on a shift. 

Good job for Jezza ...but not sure he'd be capable of even that .