Airport.

Billy kettlefish

For a relatively small amount of cash they could easily upgrade the poor visibility / landing capability. In fact, for £5m they could install auto land for zero vis (not sure if Loganair could use it though). Would be a more reasonable investment than a lot of the cash they waste. It isn't just us that's suffering cancellations though. BA are cancelling around 100 flights every day. Some of those passengers are only being told at 3am the same day they are supposed to be flying too. 

Unfortunately the runway is not long enough for zero vis operations. In addition, the smaller commercial aircraft that fly into Ronaldsway aren’t equipped for auto land approaches.

Nonetheles, a relatively small investment could reduce the landing minima by 50% and allow for many more landings in the type of poor weather conditions regularly experienced at the airfield.

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

Surprising little looking at his Linkedin.   He's only been in aviation for seven years - his last job before that was managing a pet food factory.  Still an impressive enough cv, though a little bizbollocks-heavy, but then aren't they all.

He's only been at H&I for two years and a ATC project he's managing hasn't been getting good reviews, but I suspect he didn't originate it.  He's only about 40, so of course the danger is that if he's any good he'll be off in two years and if not we'll be stuck with him for 25. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

So it seems. Lets hope he can grasp the bull by the horns and and turn Ronaldsway into the facility we all need it to be.

Just go back 30 to 40 years and you'll have it. Or go back even further when there was that great cafe on the ground floor, pie chips & beans.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Surprising little looking at his Linkedin.   He's only been in aviation for seven years - his last job before that was managing a pet food factory.  Still an impressive enough cv, though a little bizbollocks-heavy, but then aren't they all.

He's only been at H&I for two years and a ATC project he's managing hasn't been getting good reviews, but I suspect he didn't originate it.  He's only about 40, so of course the danger is that if he's any good he'll be off in two years and if not we'll be stuck with him for 25. 

I give him 2 years before he realises he can’t change anything 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

as long as the crayonistas in the sea terminal  don't try to brow beat him and starve  the airport of resources , he has an uphill battle on his hands ,and he is inheriting a crock of sh1t, run down, tired ,inefficient ,   and first job sort the bloody car park out and ditch the silly app which I hear they are looking to introduce it right across all the government carparks if they get away with it at the airport , people of the isle of man time to rise up !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Seems like Gatwick EasyJet flight delayed by 1.5 hours tonight . It is now scheduled to leave the island at 22.30 will mean most people will likely not reach their end destinations until gone 1am . EasyJet must be incurring heavy costs to extend airport operating times . Very poor service and clearly nothing to do with the weather . Morning flight was delayed too as well as Manchester being cancelled altogether. Does not bode well for TT . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

He may be in luck if there is reform in the Cabinet Office/DoI/Treasury that means effectiveness isn't frowned on.  In which case he's arriving at the right time.  He just needs to make sure that what is already there is made to work better rather than insisting on having whichever magic beans some con artist has insisted will solve all the woes.  I assume most of the staff will just be relieved to have someone there who knows something about the job after their recent leadership vacuum.

But the thing to remember is that it's a year since Reynolds announced she was going and seven since she went.  So even if they were incompetent at recruiting (they are), it rather looks as if candidates aren't lining up.   The original closing date was 5 December 2021 with  salary of £82,797 to £103,492 per annum, of which the midpoint is above the median salary you'd expect for the same job in the UK, probably for a bigger airport.  So we have to take what we can get.

And he won't be here for three months, so maybe he'll bale out when he reads all this.

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

Seems like Gatwick EasyJet flight delayed by 1.5 hours tonight . It is now scheduled to leave the island at 22.30 will mean most people will likely not reach their end destinations until gone 1am . EasyJet must be incurring heavy costs to extend airport operating times . Very poor service and clearly nothing to do with the weather . Morning flight was delayed too as well as Manchester being cancelled altogether. Does not bode well for TT . 

You’re a bit obsessed with easyJet. Do you know any airlines who are running more efficiently? Perhaps give them a call. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

You’re a bit obsessed with easyJet. Do you know any airlines who are running more efficiently? Perhaps give them a call. 

What an odd comment . If you take a look back you will find I have been equally critical of Loganair recently . Surprisingly enough I have an expectation that companies provide the service they are paid for I don’t think that’s asking too much to be honest .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

What an odd comment . If you take a look back you will find I have been equally critical of Loganair recently . Surprisingly enough I have an expectation that companies provide the service they are paid for I don’t think that’s asking too much to be honest .

Unfortunately you have to change what you can and accept what you cannot. You or I cannot effect the necessary change, so why harp on about it? 

…expect companies to provide the service they are paid for ! 

good luck with that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1