Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Been recently told by an ex pilot (no reason to doubt him) that the runway closure is due to someone flagging up a problem that’s caused no issues for long donkeys years but reported it to C.A.A , the airport management then have sat on there hands and not come up with a solution and bingo it’s closed. There are I think a few pilots on here who maybe able to confirm if this is correct.

i'm not a pilot and i know that's the case ,  the actual not really a 'problem' was mentioned earlier in the thread ,

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Been recently told by an ex pilot (no reason to doubt him) that the runway closure is due to someone flagging up a problem that’s caused no issues for long donkeys years but reported it to C.A.A , the airport management then have sat on there hands and not come up with a solution and bingo it’s closed. There are I think a few pilots on here who maybe able to confirm if this is correct.

Heard the same. But apparently nobody is allowed to talk about it. Down to Reynolds  regime allegedly .   She sat on it ..

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

To be fair though the whole aviation industry is an embarrassment since covid. Who knew shutting down the economy, sending millions of people home to sit on their asses, and grounding tens of thousands of planes and closing or partially closing hundreds of airports would have such an effect? What were running now in the IOM is a former covid vaccination centre that aspires to function as an airport again. But whose staff and management seem to be happy if it was a covid vaccination centre again. They can’t even get the arrival and departures board to be a true reflection of when flights actually land and depart.

Look on the bright side.... at least we got skirting boards to go with the vaccination centre. 😂 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s the date of the Tynwald sitting at which the written questions and written questions were given. It’s part of the Hansard record for those dates.

My point is at what date is the data collected at. It could be quite a few days old and that has a bearing when, say, we have had a high number of cancellations. 

ETA So covers a period ending a couple of weeks before the sitting. Not a hardship or procedural gaffe if the date of the question is given and the date of the reply.  The reply could have data up to a certain date but is actually provided some time after or before a significant event that changes the conclusion to be drawn from the data. 

Edited by Gladys

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

That has been previously alluded to, apparently a procedure is needed.  Can't be that tricky you wouldn't have thought to at least get something on paper and whizz it past an aviation expert. 

It seemed to start as a simple non problem in ATC, it has however morphed into the situation we have today !

The airport is a bureaucratic mess in every sense, run by box tickers, who have no relevant experience nor idea of what they are trying to achieve ! I wouldn't be at all surprised if it collapsed into a sorry heap !

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Look on the bright side.... at least we got skirting boards to go with the vaccination centre. 😂 

That just shows how ridiculous the whole thing was. I’m sure some thought it was the end of the world and we were building a vaccination centre that was going to be there for the next 10 years as we all got locked inside our homes. Typical Chinese style end of the world covid planning. Now it has to function as an airport again they haven’t got a clue. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Pity neither the question nor answer are dated. 

You have to look on the Written Questions log to get those details:

image.thumb.png.97b67472436768ff142f7db9f88ed63a.png

Mercifully they have finally installed a search function so you don't have keep on clicking and scrolling to see if you can spot what you want.  I don't think the question reference number relates to a particular sitting - the whole idea is that WQs are now removed from any particular one of those - 0411 looks more like a sequence number in the year.  Though there are gaps, possibly questions withdrawn, duplicates or answered with reference to existing sources.

Edited to add:  The three dates are Date published; Date Answer due; and Date Answer received; in that order.  Usually the second is 14 days after the first.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1