Airport.

Billy kettlefish

33 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

It is normal practice at Ronaldsway, and most other places, for PRMs (passengers of reduced mobility) to board first for the exact reasons you describe. I always tried to get the boarding staff to send the rest of the passengers so they would arrive at the aircraft just as the PRM was seated and the staff assisting them were off the aircraft. This sounds to me like a bit of an unintentional  cock up in the boarding sequence to me.

Best speak to Menzies about it rather than address them through MF. 821600 for the airport switchboard and they'll put you through to the Menzies Duty Manager.

Has happened to me a couple of times now, but will mention it to them when taking my mum over at the end of the month. Not a hard thing to fix.

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

It is normal practice at Ronaldsway, and most other places, for PRMs (passengers of reduced mobility) to board first for the exact reasons you describe. I always tried to get the boarding staff to send the rest of the passengers so they would arrive at the aircraft just as the PRM was seated and the staff assisting them were off the aircraft. This sounds to me like a bit of an unintentional  cock up in the boarding sequence to me.

Best speak to Menzies about it rather than address them through MF. 821600 for the airport switchboard and they'll put you through to the Menzies Duty Manager.

The problem arises for a number of reasons, not least the fact there is only one ambulift. It gets busy. EZY in particular have multiple arrivals, and departures within 20 minutes, all around the same time.

Plus the stupid Ronaldsway ruling about where the ambulift can collect it’s users.

I pack up my electric wheelchair in the departure gate holding lounge. However I then have to walk, in pain,  to where they’ve parked the ambulift. Or on a bad day get someone to push me in an airport chair.

Its the only airport I know that won’t allow the ambulift to pick up from immediately outside the gate lounge.

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The problem arises for a number of reasons, not least the fact there is only one ambulift. It gets busy. EZY in particular have multiple arrivals, and departures within 20 minutes, all around the same time.

Plus the stupid Ronaldsway ruling about where the ambulift can collect it’s users.

I pack up my electric wheelchair in the departure gate holding lounge. However I then have to walk, in pain,  to where they’ve parked the ambulift. Or on a bad day get someone to push me in an airport chair.

Its the only airport I know that won’t allow the ambulift to pick up from immediately outside the gate lounge.

yep, it's that shit down there.

I was on a LoganAir departure on Tuesday, but arrived early and was hoping for a hot meal from the cafe. The only hot food was a microwaved bacon bap. One microwaved bacon bap plus one small bottle of water - £8.45.

After a while LoganAir announced a delay, so I eventually I decided on a second bap. Unfortunately I made the decision at 16:02 - the cafe was closed.

There were several delays announced - I think 18:00 to 18:30 to 19:45 to 20:45 to..... 18:00

Still, we was lucky - the London City flight was cancelled. How come no-one has been here whinging - is so common it is not worth mentioning?

44 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I was on a LoganAir departure on Tuesday, but arrived early and was hoping for a hot meal from the cafe. The only hot food was a microwaved bacon bap. One microwaved bacon bap plus one small bottle of water - £8.45.

After a while LoganAir announced a delay, so I eventually I decided on a second bap. Unfortunately I made the decision at 16:02 - the cafe was closed.

There were several delays announced - I think 18:00 to 18:30 to 19:45 to 20:45 to..... 18:00

Still, we was lucky - the London City flight was cancelled. How come no-one has been here whinging - is so common it is not worth mentioning?

One of my cards gives me lounge access so that I can save money on overpriced airport food and drink .

But the Rendezvous lounge at the airport was closed on all 4 flights I took in December. 

Menzies was still blaming   covid 😉

Wonder if they have been open in January ? 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cinderella said:

Chris Thomas on Manx Radio right now saying there is no chance of getting the, newer, scanners at the airport. Unless the Manx public want them. D’uh. Silliest excuse ever for planning an upgrade which is coming to all airports in next year. 

Here's some info about the new scanners.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/01/13/new-airport-security-scanners-teesside/

Edited by snowman

13 hours ago, Two-lane said:

They can’t get any staff & have had lots of advertising for staff. Low wages & shift work is not attractive.

The problems that easyJet have running their evening flights to/from Gatwick during the Summer have been mentioned many times on this thread, a problem which has been exacerbated by the shortage of ATC staff.

So, I was amazed to see that on many mid-week dates across the Summer, from 14th June, they are planning to operate TWO very late flights, at exactly the same time!

They have different flight numbers and are shown in both directions, but I am curious if anyone connected to the Airport, the DoI, or Menzies, knows if this is correct, or some sort of mistake.

easyJet schedule.jpg

Our Thurs PM Sleazy to MAN was delayed. We were eventually let through the gate and downstairs, where there is only one loo, not enough seating, no refreshments etc to be told there was a further delay. 

This was due to high winds making it difficult to put the steps up.

High winds on the IOM. Who would have thought it?

Why no-one thought to use a tug to manoeuvre the aircraft into the lee of the terminal was not explained. Maybe not enough room?

Left very grumpy and bloody late...

• Like 2

This is not directly Ronaldsway related but is an airport thing.

Recently flying back from Liverpool and picked up a bottle of gin to bring home from the shop in departures “duty free” or whatever they call the place (I know this term is misused but never mind). The gin didn’t seem to be discounted

Going to the till to pay for it I was asked, as you are, for my boarding pass.

Upon seeing I was flying to the IOM the lady behind the till told me “if you’re going to the Isle of Man you can’t purchase alcohol from here.

Well I’ve done it  ( purchased alcoholic drinks ) many times before from such outlets in Liverpool, Manchester and Gatwick.

Was the lady just simply wrong or have things changed?

Not a biggy  as a bought a bottle from Shoprite Victoria Road on my way home but it seemed a bit odd.

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Recently flying back from Liverpool and picked up a bottle of gin to bring home from the shop in departures “duty free” or whatever they call the place (I know this term is misused but never mind). The gin didn’t seem to be discounted

Upon seeing I was flying to the IOM the lady behind the till told me “if you’re going to the Isle of Man you can’t purchase alcohol from here.

Well I’ve done it  ( purchased alcoholic drinks ) many times before from such outlets in Liverpool, Manchester and Gatwick.

Not a biggy  as a bought a bottle from Shoprite Victoria Road on my way home but it seemed a bit odd.

Probably a new wheeze from H&B!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You have to be leaving the UK  to be able to buy "duty free" liquor. ( Post brexit rules). Isle of man is still considered as part of UK for this purpose ..

Some of the products might have a label which says "available to all passengers" and you still should be able to buy those 

However most of the time I've found it cheaper at Tesco !!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It has never been possible to buy duty free when travelling between Great Britain and the Isle of Man.  They're both in the same duty regime - it would be no more legal than selling duty free on the bus from Ramsey to Douglas.

What there was was a long-standing UK concession where all air travellers were allowed to buy goods without VAT.  This dated back to the end of the 90s when duty free was abolished between EU states as a sort of subsidy to airports.  You were still expected to show your boarding card to show you were a bone fide passenger, though with increased security that may have fallen into disuse.

This concession seems to have been abolished when the UK formally left the EU at the start of 2021.  Presumably anything associated with the EU was tainted and the airports were already in such a financial mess anyway that another problem wouldn't be noticed.  You will however now be able to buy duty free stuff when flying to or from the EU at only twice the price it is in Tesco or three times the price in the EU country.

• Haha 2